Karting... First Attempt

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

Well the dirt tracks were shut, but a friend invited me to something called Tarmac... luckily there was mud all the way round the outside so felt at home after a while...

Seriously, first go at Karting, fancied a go for a while, got track side, weather was a bit rubbish, rain, low light, then a nice bit of sun as I drove out..lol, sure we all know them conditions.

C&C welcome, as I would like to know, good or bad..

ImageMX110.jpg

ImageMX104.jpg

3. Too many pies..
ImageMX101.jpg

ImageMX100.jpg

ImageMX102.jpg

ImageMX109.jpg

Some fine shots there, I've tried this once also,Hard isn't it?:)

Whats PF like now with the bridge? used to be my home track when i worked down there, but never been down for years now.

Great shots for the first time, you have caught some lovely action :D

Whats PF like now with the bridge? used to be my home track when i worked down there, but never been down for years now.

Great shots for the first time, you have caught some lovely action :D

First Visit, but a great track, the bridge could be used quite well, wasn't gonna push me luck with the marshalls yesterday... the owner had already given me the chat about using marshall points only, must of misheard him.. but he's well happy today

I agree with the others - a fine collection and #4 is great.

For me #1 is stunning - it has perfectly captured the speed of the kart. That guy is flying !

Tough old subject to shoot! You'd imagine that anyone with an eye for full sized motorsport would find relatively slow karts and easy subject.... but ooooooooooooh noo!

When you mentioned doing this in the other thread I was looking forward to seeing how your flash technique worked out with these.... #1 is definitely the most obvious and works the best.

The others are pretty good as far as karting shots I have seen before (and better than mine!) but there's still something missing... damned if I can work out what though!

Cheers Steve, all the guys were flying, some quick young drivers... The girl I went to shot, only 8 in a mini max, finished the day slamming in the wall after a throttle jam... she was fine..

Tough old subject to shoot! You'd imagine that anyone with an eye for full sized motorsport would find relatively slow karts and easy subject.... but ooooooooooooh noo!

When you mentioned doing this in the other thread I was looking forward to seeing how your flash technique worked out with these.... #1 is definitely the most obvious and works the best.

The others are pretty good as far as karting shots I have seen before (and better than mine!) but there's still something missing... damned if I can work out what though!

Cheers Dude for the comments... spot on..... the lack of lighting I think is the thing..

Yey I was surprised what a different beast this is to shot, my only other time with karts is when I take all my lads once a year to ram them off a track to show them I am still Top Dog... oh yey... MX they started passing me when they were 13...buggers...back to topic

I'd been invited by an MX dad, whos daughter drives carts and was picked up by a team, so said I do a few shots if he got me track side, luckily he did, but I could tell the owner was a bit hesitant, hadn't seen me site me thinks. So after he gave me a long chat on where I could go... shoot from marshall points...jesus. So must have misheard him... all the damn noise...
So thought I'd use it as a bit of a recky, see how I got on, the place was busy, so put the fisheye away and the ultra wides... bum.
Again as the owner and the marshalls were keeping an eye on me just took a couple of lights out, normally in these situations I would have use sets with up to 6 Speedlites, we have alot of welded bits that throw the light differents ways, but as these go on a spike stand at the edge of the track, thought these were a no no this time..

So I think the conclusion with the lighting is that gradually I will have to break them in slowly.. Since thern the owners & another team have invited me back.

This time, there will be a little more of my normal stuff, was so wanting to go to the kerb...lol, thers a great bridge there, but with the track taking the whole width and a marshall overlooking, Someone would have moaned, but I can see a few cracking shots hanging over that...

Certainly was a great day, I think I got the basics ok, but just need to go back & stick my bit on.... I so want to stick me 10mm fishy in a drivers face jumping the kerb.... thats the problem, I start getting mad thoughts..

Cheeers Desantnik... great comments and will do better next visit..

You know Colin, what you say (and I totally understand/agree) is because of the freedom you get with MX - even at a national/international level. You just don't get that photography freedom with any other motorsport, even when to be honest the danger levels are pretty much no different...

I guess MX is just less tied up in H&S, which is quite refreshing really in our modern cotten wool infested world!

Must get back to some MX this season.... *wanders off to check calendar*

Anyway... I am sure if you talk nicely to them and show them some of your work then you could maybe stage something on a non-race day? A purpose made promo shoot? Certainly I believe you can give it something I've never seen done with karting!

You know Colin, what you say (and I totally understand/agree) is because of the freedom you get with MX - even at a national/international level. You just don't get that photography freedom with any other motorsport, even when to be honest the danger levels are pretty much no different...

I guess MX is just less tied up in H&S, which is quite refreshing really in our modern cotten wool infested world!

Must get back to some MX this season.... *wanders off to check calendar*

Anyway... I am sure if you talk nicely to them and show them some of your work then you could maybe stage something on a non-race day? A purpose made promo shoot? Certainly I believe you can give it something I've never seen done with karting!

Bang on.. was surprised how many friends were telling me I wouldn't get on track.. the whole time the owner was talking to me, I'm thinking "he aint gonna like me" lol.. very H&S, I so take MX for granted, love working so close with riders, I always have an escape route planned..

Had found a little loop in the curcuit I can get the promo shots i want, so will suggest a few for 5 mins, just to get a few with the ultra wides..

You ever up Cambridge way at a loose end, go to the site and give me a call, always a track open somewhere...

Good shots mate, coped well with the conditions. PF's a great track, haven't been in ages though.

Cheers Joe.. great setup at the circiut, I did have a laugh at the Dads pit area... it was like a lab, I'm not use to such plush conditions..

It is rather plush I suppose, never had a problem with parking either!

how did you get on using a flash did no one complain seeing as some are face on.

A good set thou considering the weather conditions looked like fun

how did you get on using a flash did no one complain seeing as some are face on.

A good set thou considering the weather conditions looked like fun

No Problem, did have a quick chat with a few drivers, didn't notice, with mx I use alot more and alot closer, but its not often you set them straight on, more off to each sid eof the rider...

When I raced, the only thing I would have noticed is the 6 inch groove in the track and the arse of the rider in front, you dont get time to notice...only once I didn't have the arse to look at, the most demanding race I had

Cheers Paul & Joe

Do love a good back shot, think I can do better with 7, while marshalls not looking, hanging off bridge...

As for 3 only one I got sparking...heavy lunch

Back