Kate Middleton topless photos: with camera phones and drone technology, soon no one w

I suspect that Nod was thinking of the sort of street photography that takes pictures of couples kissing, people crying at graves, war memorials etc - it may be legitimate in that its in a public place , but it could still be argued to be an invasion of someones privacy - ie taking their private moments and publishing them on the internet

But their are quite a few very famous moment in history of photography,where grief has been showed,to great effect,we're theses photographer wrong ?
The problem also is we live in a very emotional age,where sometime every emotion is played out on tv show,day in day out.

It's alway a hard one,when do you press that shutter and when you don't,we know most paps are in for the money,most don't pretend otherwise,their just in a way feeding a market,to most of us it's not a market we would buy into,but it's their.

;)

I'm not saying that they were necessarily wriong to do so - just that it was an invasion of the subjects privacy (this may be sometimes justified , or not depending on one's view)

as i said higher up I don't really blame the paps - they are just making a living, I blame the halfwits who created a market for thios kind of thing via their prurient interest in the private lives of celebrities and the like.

I'd bet thast a fair proportion* of those bemoaning the treatment of 'our kate' would be the first to buy some trashy heat clone if it had shots of some Z list celebrity behaving badly, and yet are blind to the duality

(* in society in general I mean - not on this forum)

I suspect that Nod was thinking of the sort of street photography that takes pictures of couples kissing, people crying at graves, war memorials etc - it may be legitimate in that its in a public place , but it could still be argued to be an invasion of someones privacy - ie taking their private moments and publishing them on the internet

Exactly that, Pete. I quote from my post in question...
(MY opinion, not a criticism of anyone in particular. I just remember seeing a shot in a magazine of a poor girl sitting on the plinth of a memorial crying her eyes out...). And it's purely my opinion not necessarily right! To clarify, the sort of street photography I feel can be "wrong" is where a single person or small group are trying to be private. Street performers and the like thrive on the attention (or all the ones I've known have) and people having fun don't have a problem but the girl in the photo I mentionned was NOT having a good time and was clearly in some distress.

ETA. As for your list, IMO only the final option is newsworthy - I'll just mention the name Archer to give a reason for a suspected or known criminal to be consorting with top level politicians. Even that isn't newsworthy but should get investigated if the pap has any sort of conscience. As for the Diana hounding, yes, the driver may well have been impaired but had the press not been chasing, the car wwould have been travelling much slower so any accident would have been much more surviveable.

the child running from the napalm bomb dropped on Hiroshima was it, Victor Jorgensen's sailor iconic kiss, Vietnam execution, vulture stalking child. IIRC, the child was on fire and although an uncomfortable photo to look at, more an illustration of how war is hell than street or pap photography. It was in Vietnam, not Japan. There has been a lot of speculation that the sailor's kiss was in fact posed, so almost a portrat. The couple is also having a good time. How much more private can a moment be than the instant of death? That Vietnam execution is a photo that's once seen never forgotten and not nice. Vulture stalking child likewise.

I think that's all I have to say on this So I'm off out of this thread as a contibutor. Goodnight all, I'm off to peruse the rest of the forum in less unpleasant (to me) frame of mind. A mind that has been very nicely exercised by this little discussion!

Last edited:
simonblue said:
she was killed by a driver,who was under the influence of drink and drug,

:(

No she wasn't. Paul's autopsy "results" didn't show any drugs in his system, they did, however, record a blood/CO reading which was stated be "mysteriously high" - at a level that would have rendered most adults unfit to walk, nevermind drive a car.

It is also a matter of record that he passed his pilot's medical 3 days earlier, had he been a heavy drinker or habitual drug user then that would have come to light, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story ;)

Sorry but can't resist!

How stringent is a pilot's medical and is it different between a P.P.L holder and a commercial pilot? What sort of license did he pass? He could also have lived sober and clean for a while before the medical then relapsed once he'd passed it. None of us here KNOW for sure.

cardiff_gareth said:
Apparently the publishers (photographer) must give the originals to the couple within 24 hours.

That's the bit I don't really get, the news say that Closer the magazine has to hand over the photos, I've not seen mention the photographer has to hand them over, so if that's the case then they are not the magazines in the first place.

Also what's the point of stopping one magazine from republishing the photos if other mags are not included in the injunction, or are the royals just going to go mag by mag country by country so stop images we've all seen from being printed AGAIN.

. None of us here KNOW for sure.

the conspiracy theorists do know for sure - because they've read ' the accident man' and they know the truth....

its a novel by tom cain - it wasnt actually true ....

Nod said:
Sorry but can't resist!

How stringent is a pilot's medical and is it different between a P.P.L holder and a commercial pilot? What sort of license did he pass? He could also have lived sober and clean for a while before the medical then relapsed once he'd passed it. None of us here KNOW for sure.

No, we don't. We do know two things though, 1) he had an unexplained elevated level of carbon monoxide in his blood, and that the general consensus is that it would have rendered him unable to walk and, 2) The French authorities have steadfastly refused to allow any outside parties, including both the Paul and Fayed families, to carry out independent tests on the blood...

No she wasn't. Paul's autopsy "results" didn't show any drugs in his system, they did, however, record a blood/CO reading which was stated be "mysteriously high" - at a level that would have rendered most adults unfit to walk, nevermind drive a car.

It is also a matter of record that he passed his pilot's medical 3 days earlier, had he been a heavy drinker or habitual drug user then that would have come to light, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story ;)

I never said he was a habitual drinker or drug user,he was suppose to be of duty that night,he was brought back to drive them home,as you say he was high ?,so as you say he unfit to walk let alone work,his work was a driver.

What we can't seem to face over is Diana die in a road accident,no conspiracy,but hey let not the fact get in the way of a good story :D

simonblue said:
I never said he was a habitual drinker or drug user,he was suppose to be of duty that night,he was brought back to drive them home,as you say he was high ?,so as you say he unfit to walk let alone work,his work was a driver.

What we can't seem to face over is Diana die in a road accident,no conspiracy,but hey let not the fact get in the way of a good story :D

I didn't say he was high, it was you who said

simonblue said:
she was killed by a driver,who was under the influence of drink and drug

:(

I said his blood test revealed a level of carbon monoxide in his blood that would have rendered him unable to stand. I'm not sure how you get your jollies, but personally I've never met anyone who gasses themselves with car exhaust fumes or similar as a method of getting high.....

I didn't say he was high, it was you who said

I said his blood test revealed a level of carbon monoxide in his blood that would have rendered him unable to stand. I'm not sure how you get your jollies, but personally I've never met anyone who gasses themselves with car exhaust fumes or similar as a method of getting high.....

To me it's still simple,she die in an car accident :)

1. That's the bit I don't really get, the news say that Closer the magazine has to hand over the photos, I've not seen mention the photographer has to hand them over, so if that's the case then they are not the magazines in the first place.

2. Also what's the point of stopping one magazine from republishing the photos if other mags are not included in the injunction, or are the royals just going to go mag by mag country by country so stop images we've all seen from being printed AGAIN.

1. I don't think anyone on the forum is an expert in French law and, as is the case with their privacy laws, copyright may be different. Of course, they'll be digital files so could have unlimited copies loating about anyway. I would suspect that it'll be all the rights that get handed over rather than any physical media so that any income from them goes to C&W rather than the scum who tookthe snap.

2. I expect that that news hasn't reported the full juddgement or injunction - Joe Public isn't that interested in the minutae and it may well be that any further publication in France has been banned. IF any rags in other countries publish them, I would expect to see a resurection of this story as lawsuits in those countries occur. Oh , not all of us have seen any of the images and I for one have no interest in doing so.

ETA. High levels of CO in his blood? I know that that gas binds very well with haemoglobin and is ery persistent in the bloodstream but was unaware if its recreational posibilities. Sounds more likely that there was a fault with thw car's exhaust system leaking into the cabin or that environmental issues in Paris had caused a build up. It's slightly lighter than air so shouldn't have built up specifically in the tunnel, although after the impact, the car engine may well have raced, causing a local high concentration and if he managed a few breaths before he died, that might explain his blood CO level. We'll never know for sure and I hope none of us were on the scene.

Last edited:
Nod said:
1. I don't think anyone on the forum is an expert in French law and, as is the case with their privacy laws, copyright may be different. Of course, they'll be digital files so could have unlimited copies loating about anyway. I would suspect that it'll be all the rights that get handed over rather than any physical media so that any income from them goes to C&W rather than the scum who tookthe snap.

2. I expect that that news hasn't reported the full juddgement or injunction - Joe Public isn't that interested in the minutae and it may well be that any further publication in France has been banned. IF any rags in other countries publish them, I would expect to see a resurection of this story as lawsuits in those countries occur. Oh , not all of us have seen any of the images and I for one have no interest in doing so.

ETA. High levels of CO in his blood? I know that that gas binds very well with haemoglobin and is ery persistent in the bloodstream but was unaware if its recreational posibilities. Sounds more likely that there was a fault with thw car's exhaust system leaking into the cabin or that environmental issues in Paris had caused a build up. It's slightly lighter than air so shouldn't have built up specifically in the tunnel, although after the impact, the car engine may well have raced, causing a local high concentration and if he managed a few breaths before he died, that might explain his blood CO level. We'll never know for sure and I hope none of us were on the scene.

So, the CO came from the car exhaust, but only entered the blood stream of one of the people in the car?

I believe what you call this thread now is 'gone a bit off topic'

So, the CO came from the car exhaust, but only entered the blood stream of one of the people in the car?

Well it wouldn't enter the bloodstream of someone who died instantly but it would obviously enter the bloodstream of someone who inhaled it before death!

Writing that was so obvious I don't even know why I bothered - it just seems like such an obvious scenario.

Of course - if you can think of any other way high amounts of CO could enter the bloodstream? I don't know of any - but I don't watch CSI or House:shrug:

Phil V said:
Well it wouldn't enter the bloodstream of someone who died instantly but it would obviously enter the bloodstream of someone who inhaled it before death!

Writing that was so obvious I don't even know why I bothered - it just seems like such an obvious scenario.

Of course - if you can think of any other way high amounts of CO could enter the bloodstream? I don't know of any - but I don't watch CSI or House:shrug:

In that case Trevor Rees-Jones and Diana would both have exhibited symptoms, as Diana didn't die instantly (she survived for quite a while before succumbing to her injuries) and Rees-Jones survived, but neither did.

I don't watch House or CSI either, but I do like to have a basic grasp of the facts before commenting on a topic.... ;)

She should have know better, whether on a private estate or not, after all that happened with Diana and Fergie she should have kept her top on.

so where are you saying the CO came from - presumably you arent suggesting he was gassed elsewhere and planted in the car after the fact - as that would have been a tad conspicuous to the car loads of paps buzzing arround the scene.

and if he'd been gassed before getting in the car , both diana and dodi ought to have noticed his inability to walk

so what are you saying happened ?

Flash In The Pan said:
In that case Trevor Rees-Jones and Diana would both have exhibited symptoms, as Diana didn't die instantly (she survived for quite a while before succumbing to her injuries) and Rees-Jones survived, but neither did.

I don't watch House or CSI either, but I do like to have a basic grasp of the facts before commenting on a topic.... ;)

You clearly know far more about it than I do. So how do you explain the CO levels?

Henry Paul was a chain smoker.

big soft moose said:
so where are you saying the CO came from - presumably you arent suggesting he was gassed elsewhere and planted in the car after the fact - as that would have been a tad conspicuous to the car loads of paps buzzing arround the scene.

and if he'd been gassed before getting in the car , both diana and dodi ought to have noticed his inability to walk

I'm not saying that at all, what his family believe is that his blood sample was swapped, whether by accident or not, with that of another body in the morgue, perhaps a man who committed suicide by gassing himself earlier that day, which sounds fairly plausible, especially given the French authorities steadfast refusal to allow any other parties have the blood independently tested.

On the Huh said:
Henry Paul was a chain smoker.

His blood/CO reading was nearly 10 times normal, now I'm no medical expert but I reckon you'd have to be going some to achieve a level of elevation like that through chain smoking.......

His blood/CO reading was nearly 10 times normal, now I'm no medical expert but I reckon you'd have to be going some to achieve a level of elevation like that through chain smoking.......

Those bloody French fags are quite strong you know.

:D

I got arrested outside my neighbours house last night with my long lens on my camera...

Apparently, "she said she always wanted to be treated like a princess" is not a valid excuse.

Q. What do you get if you cross Prince Charles and Queen Elizabeth?
A. Killed in a tunnel...

big soft moose said:

She didn't put her seatbelt on. If she had she would be alive now. Just like Trevor Rees Jones who was wearing a seatbelt.

She didn't put her seatbelt on. If she had she would be alive now. Just like Trevor Rees Jones who was wearing a seatbelt.

Se may be alive now (and would have had nothing to lose). But you cannot say whether a seatbelt would have saved her or not as you cannot do the same test again to see what happens!

I have to admit to not having read the whole thread. But thought after some of the comments that this might interest people:
http://ardrone2.parrot.com/

We know 'legally' in the UK, that a normal place cannot restrict photographs taken from a public place. I.e. national trust cannot stop you taking a picture of their house, if you are standing on a public road.
I wonder where the boundary is from commercially available materials such as the ARDrone?

ernesto said:
Se may be alive now (and would have had nothing to lose). But you cannot say whether a seatbelt would have saved her or not as you cannot do the same test again to see what happens!

The person sitting closest to the impact (wearing a seatbelt) survived. Everyone else (not wearing seatbelts) didn't.

The person sitting closest to the impact (wearing a seatbelt) survived. Everyone else (not wearing seatbelts) didn't.

That makes no difference, without a test nobody will ever know either way. All 4 could have worn seat-belts and two still died, one die, none died etc,.

You certainly can't make a claim that she would have been alive if she were wearing a seatbelt as that simply is not true.

People wearing seat-belts still die in crashes...

Back