Kayak Nottingham

I think the angle you photographed the second shot from is better. The guy is surfing on what's called a 'stopper'. It's a good place to capture canoeists submersing either the front or rear end of their kayaks and standing them on end. It's possible to almost completely submerse the kayak and then bob it almost completely out the water. With good timing and a talented canoeist in front of the lens you should get some great action shots.

I'm a 'play-boater' and avid kayaking photographer myself, although I now prefer to get out on Devon's rivers and take photos there simply for the atmosphere.

The most important thing for action shots is to go and watch some boaters without concentrating on the pictures, study them and after a short time you'll soon learn when they're lining up for a move.

The second hardest thing to do is get a good face shot without the paddle or boat in the way, but you've managed that quite nicely in these cases.

The best place at Nottingham is the top wave (literally the inlet gate) as you can stand on the bridge and get some good shots, or stand upstream and shoot under the bridge for a more horizontal angle. Its also one of the more controlled and predictable playspots on the course and you should find it reasonably easy to work out when they're about to make a move!

Thanks for your responses and comments..

Adam, i think the 1st photo was taken at the inlet gate, i have a few shots of the guys and girls doing flips but never seemed to get the perfect shot ... must return for another go. Such a great sport to watch and always tempts me to have a go! one expensive hobby is enough though

Back