Kayaking BCU Courses Help

Name
Karl
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I was wondering if someone could help with my question on BCU courses. Hopefully some Kayaking people on here.

I am interested in whitewater kayaking and understand that you need to be qualified to BCU grade 3 to do white water.

I was wondering if you have to do the BCU courses 1,2 & 3 sequentially or if you can just do the BCU Grade 3 course without the previous ones.

I have been trying to get through to the local white water rafting center without any luck.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Karl

Have just asked my younger brother for you, who kayaks a lot. He said there is no requirement to do 1 & 2 first, but you may have to convince a school as to your competence to go straight to three. No requirement for white water either (but be sensible)

Have just asked my younger brother for you, who kayaks a lot. He said there is no requirement to do 1 & 2 first, but you may have to convince a school as to your competence to go straight to three. No requirement for white water either (but be sensible)

Thanks, The local kayaking center says they wont let you on the whitewater course unless you have grade 3 or above. Guess it come down to health and safety on their part.

Yup, I did 1 and 2 star when I was in the Scouts (so a looooong time ago). I wouldn't let anyone I was responsible for anywhere near white water without knowing that they were competent enough not to get themselves or others into unnecessary danger, and were confident and experienced enough to deal with a capsize without panicking.

Yup, I did 1 and 2 star when I was in the Scouts (so a looooong time ago). I wouldn't let anyone I was responsible for anywhere near white water without knowing that they were competent enough not to get themselves or others into unnecessary danger, and were confident and experienced enough to deal with a capsize without panicking.

Managed to get in touch with the company now. My main question was around whether I could skip Grade 1 and go straight to Grade 2 based on the fact that I recently did the Intro to Kayaking course.

The guy said its hard to say as you need to get the basic sweep strokes under your belt and not having this might hinder your ability to pass the Grade 2.

Think I might just do Grade 1 and work my way through from there. Not going to hurt me apart from my bank balance.

Karl

It's along time since I last did any canoeing, but I used to do a lot of white water and also helped out instructing too. As far as I remember there is no requirement, however there is a big jump from 2 star to 3 star, from memory things like rolling for example doesn't come in until 3, and you need this skill for strong water. It's worth searching for a local club to join, although you local centre (not sure where you are) requires grade 3, that might just be down to the nature of the run, there are plenty of rivers which are calmer to practice on.
Final word, always paddle with experienced kayakers and never on your own. Respect the power of the water, having been on the receiving end of a few beatings. Even the most skilled can come unstuck. More importantly have fun :)

It's along time since I last did any canoeing, but I used to do a lot of white water and also helped out instructing too. As far as I remember there is no requirement, however there is a big jump from 2 star to 3 star, from memory things like rolling for example doesn't come in until 3, and you need this skill for strong water. It's worth searching for a local club to join, although you local centre (not sure where you are) requires grade 3, that might just be down to the nature of the run, there are plenty of rivers which are calmer to practice on.
Final word, always paddle with experienced kayakers and never on your own. Respect the power of the water, having been on the receiving end of a few beatings. Even the most skilled can come unstuck. More importantly have fun :)

Thanks for the advice, I have decided to go down the kayaking club route rather than just doing the course. Might take a bit longer to achieve the required level but seems like i would get more out of it that way.

Karl

Thanks for the advice, I have decided to go down the kayaking club route rather than just doing the course. Might take a bit longer to achieve the required level but seems like i would get more out of it that way.

Karl
Great news, it's best not to rush it, a quiet trip down a lazy river can quickly descend into chaos.
Clubs have other advantages too. Some are prepared to loan/hire equipment so that you can get a feel for if it is something you want to pursue, it also builds a network of friends to go paddling with. I cannot emphasise enough NEVER go paddling alone. And a tip, learn how to roll, constant kayak emptying gets very tiring :)

Back