Keen Newbie

Sto

Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve wanted a DSLR for half my life.... didn’t happen. Then smart phones came along and I snapped away fairly happily, 1000s of pics , but where’s the depth, the creativity the artistry ( no not the hearts and flowers frames) the magic, the challenge. We want to get a DSLR but which one? We would mainly be shooting wildlife and landscapes in various light settings, it would need to have WiFi at least as my husband is an artist and wants high quality images for that. He likes pixels, I’m interested in AF spread, ISO and FPS , not sure about an internal flash ( I think they go off willy nilly and ruin a shot) but probably better for us beginners, video too. I’m thinking a Beginner friendly Intermediate Camera as we don’t have the cash to keep upgrading and are keen to learn. Hubs is keen on the Mirrorless Fuji Xt -2
Any advice appreciated as it’s bewildering out there. Nice to meet you all and looking forward to learning lots

Last edited:
Hi, And welcome aboard TP."Enjoy".

:welcome: to the forum Sto :wave:

I've got a Fuji X-T2, you won't regret owning one.

Reactions: Sto
Thanks Norkie, it’s definitely a strong possibility, I was also considering the Canon 80D or 6D Mk 2. Can’t decide and know even less about Nikon

Although if I had Canon 80D I could afford a better lens and it may be more compatible with our elderly MAC

It’s like wading through treacle then there’s the old Mac to consider hurts . Lots of great info, though so far the only thing I know for sure is that a camera takes photos and may or may not have video. Everything else seems to boil down to What do you want it for? How much are you willing to pay? How heavy it is to lug around/ease of use.

Set a budget and stick to it.
The Canon 80D is a super camera and range of lenses is vast!

Thanks Norkie. We’ve got a budget of £1500 and not a penny more! My old man loves his old Fuji Film and has just said can’t we update that one! I’m just going to slink quietly to the wall and bang my head on it!

Have you considered going the other way?

Buy a cheapish S/H camera like the 40D (which I have) or the 350D (which I also have) and a really good lens like the a canon L lens - the 24-105 S/H is about £400 S/H:

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...es/canon-ef-24-105mm-f-4-l-is-usm/sku-755525/

Then use a program like AI Gigapixel which will give you huge images to crop and edit as you want.

And lenses are always an excellent buy if they are in good condition.

Then later, if or when, you feel you need to move up the lens will still be with you.

I used my 350D for 5 years until I felt I had finally outgrown it.

Total spend less than £600.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to TP

Enjoy yourself here :)

I had / have a 40D and it's a belter of a camera (y)

The 80D is here plus lenses. It is a bit heavy with the USM lens on, but manageable. The strap’s a bit rough.
Working on the WiFi Connection. It’s going to be in auto for quite some while as it’s all totally new to us.
Going to try it out at Doncaster Wildlife Park on Friday ....

It’s going to be in auto for quite some while as it’s all totally new to us.
Leaving the camera in auto will be fine, but what I would suggest is changing the auto focus points from all points, to one point. This is the one area that full auto focus fails. So if you read anything in the manual, read about setting the focus first.

Back