Keep ae-1 or ae-1program

Name
Neal
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have both an ae-1 and ae-1 program, which is the better camera? I am going to sell one of them. Thanks.

Hi, I have both an ae-1 and ae-1 program, which is the better camera? I am going to sell one of them. Thanks.

The AE1 was first introduced in 1976 and sold in the millions -one of the biggest selling cameras Canon ever produced and was very innovative at the time due it's use of electronics .

The AE1 Program was introduced later in 1981 with the features of the original AE1 but also with a fully programmed shooting mode (The camera chose both shutter speed and aperture) which had first appeared in the Canon A1 between the two models.

I'm not sure there's a 'best' as such - it depends whether you need the Programmed shooting mode. There's no shortage of these cameras on the market so even nice ones don't tend to command very high prices.

Last edited:
Thanks, I use an a-1 most of the time, got the ae-1 and program very cheap from a charity shop and was going to keep one of them as a spare as I have alot of fd lenses.

I'd keep the one that is less likely to develop the Canon squeak (obviously it's not an exact science trying to deduce this, but the AE1-P is newer and you can make a judgement based on condition).

I'd keep both, use one of them, and then when the other starts to cough, use the other. You'll not realise much more than the price of a couple of rolls of film if you sell either of them (unless they're the pretty rare all-black versions - which seem to make at least as much as the much better A-1 :shrug:)

Back