Beginner Keeping the fire alive in colder, darker months...

Edit My Images
No
Good morning,

I'd really appreciate your advice on this....

Started getting more and more into photography (especially landscapes and macro) last year, but during the winter my practice sessions gradually got shorter and shorter, until they were reduced to nothing. In the summer I was traveling a lot and when I was working, I still had plenty of free daylight hours....which meant a massive amount of practice and so gradually producing a good portfolio of very respectable photographs. But with the sorter days..my camera has started collecting dust. Problems I'm finding are:

A) Lack of interesting subjects suitable for evening shooting

B) Any shots I take in low light look very dull or very blurry, usually both. Not sure if this is my technique, equipment - or maybe a bit of both.

1. What do you photograph when daylight is at a premium?
  2. What techniques / equipment do you use to get the results you want in low light?
  3. Outdoors / indoors?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

you could buy some home studio lights and a have play with them, find a local club or group as they will have events such as studio shoots. then theres always winters sunsets to shoot...

A tripod and cable release come in very handy for low light work.

Last edited:
I struggle through the winter months, I started using things like the kids toys - bought some toy soldiers and made scenes with them

But you have a wonderful treasure trove to discover. Yes. Dull, overcast weather can yield dull looking pictures. But winter brings snow scenes, fog, misty streets. Night shots with snow under street lights. Frosty mornings. In fact, it makes bright summer sunshine pictures look over contrasty and bland.

The main problem I have is the extreme cold. Operating the camera with gloves on. Or just not wanting to go out in the cold.

But if you can get out, then winter is the 'best' time for pictures. Hooray!

Last edited:
I felt the same in the past but adding to what ianp5a said, I have taken inspiration from autumn and winter landscape photos I have seen posted on here the last few weeks.
I use to have the idea that the light needed to perfect or the sky had to be blue but there are plenty of ways to make an outdoors photo look interesting without the need for the sky to be shown.
I've yet to get out there and try it for myself but I will certanly give it a go later this year once I have had some photo fun in the spring and summer.

Winter's a great time for photography. There's something magical about being out at the reservoir (about 15 min from home) at dawn on a frosty morning and getting home for coffee when the first people come out (the hardened dog walkers who have no choice!). I don't have any problems using a camera with gloves on, I'm just so used to it.

I should have said, I use thick ski gloves when it gets really cold. - 5 to -15 C. Which is fine for the normal buttons, but some modes need menu access.

Last edited:
Who are you taking these pictures for? Seriously, who is going to look at them? Whole point of a picture is to be looked at, not just taken and added to a collection........

So is this really a problem?

If there is nothing that interests you enough to take a photo of it; is there anything that is interesting enough in a photo you might take to make any one want to look at it?

This is not a 'seasonal' thing, this is a 'photo' thing.

Use the time, you cant find new photo's to take, to THINK about the photo's you HAVE taken.. look at THEM.. what is the 'interest'? What worked, what didn't. Consider; contemplate; ponder...

Photography has much more to it than pointing a camera... one of the great 'losses' of going digital; everything is 'instant'; patience is not demanded, and you don't have ten times a much work to do after taking a snap, pigging about in the dark room developing and printing it, you can 'save up' for those 'lull' periods. But still....

Stop looking at the camera - Start looking at the PICTURES

And then maybe do something 'different, which may be playing with photo-shop; or table-top studio; or going macro; or a dabble with the dark-side of film, or.... putting up the shelf the missus has been nagging about, or... or ... or ... taking up makramie.. WHAT IS makramie? Who cares.. point is to stop obsessing on that damn camera.

Winter is the best time of year for photography. The long light. The interesting weather. The cold creates a great atmosphere for starscapes and whatnot. What's not to like?

If your low light photographs are blurry, get a tripod.

Loads of things to do with your camera in winter.

Last edited:
Who are you taking these pictures for? Seriously, who is going to look at them? Whole point of a picture is to be looked at, not just taken and added to a collection........

So is this really a problem?

If there is nothing that interests you enough to take a photo of it; is there anything that is interesting enough in a photo you might take to make any one want to look at it?

This is not a 'seasonal' thing, this is a 'photo' thing.

Use the time, you cant find new photo's to take, to THINK about the photo's you HAVE taken.. look at THEM.. what is the 'interest'? What worked, what didn't. Consider; contemplate; ponder...

Photography has much more to it than pointing a camera... one of the great 'losses' of going digital; everything is 'instant'; patience is not demanded, and you don't have ten times a much work to do after taking a snap, pigging about in the dark room developing and printing it, you can 'save up' for those 'lull' periods. But still....

Stop looking at the camera - Start looking at the PICTURES

And then maybe do something 'different, which may be playing with photo-shop; or table-top studio; or going macro; or a dabble with the dark-side of film, or.... putting up the shelf the missus has been nagging about, or... or ... or ... taking up makramie.. WHAT IS makramie? Who cares.. point is to stop obsessing on that damn camera.

I did exactly this a month ago. I still class myself as a complete beginner ( and obviously a very slow learner) I sat at my pc and looked through all the photos I had taken with my SLR mainly to see how far I had moved on and to give myself a bit of critique, and tbh - I haven't moved on at all! I'm still making the same mistakes. All I want to do is capture what I see with my eye and produce the same or very close match, but I'm finding it impossible. More practice/ reading is needed methinks.

All I want to do is capture what I see with my eye and produce the same or very close match
That could be the very problem. The Camera doesn't 'see' the world in the same way we do.

You have a bike in your avtar....think SMIDSY... it's not that the car driver doesn't 'see' us when they pull out; it's that they haven't 'perceived' us... our brain's take the image we see, and the diddle it in our head, to crate what we 'perceive'.. it's what magicians rely on, and how optical illusions work.

Now as far as SMIDSY goes; dealing with a fairly complex, dynamic, changing 'scene', our brain tries to filter the 'picture' and delver a 'perception' that is 'simplified' and easier to interpret; and two ways 'Perception' tries to 'short-cut' processing every detail the eye actually sees is, memory patching and pattern recognition. Rather than telling you what your eye actually 'sees'; your perception merely scans the scene, and where it recognises a familiar patter,or something it's seen before, rather than relaying what the eye is beholding; it returns what's in the memory, NOT what is in front of our eyes.

In SMIDSY case, the familiar 'pattern' is CAR.. and we DON'T get seen on a motorbike, because we are an 'anomaly', that cant be patched in from memory very easily, so perception, 'ignores' us to deal with later, when it has more time to fill in the detail; mean while, car driver's 'need' is to make a decision on whether to pull out or not; they want a 'gap'; perception is filling the sketch with nice easy to manage memory images of cars, so SMIDSY 'perceives' 'car' or 'no-car', and 99 times out of 100 we make up less than 1% of road transport), 'no-car' = 'GAP'.. and while perceptions still 'resolving' the scene, that is 'enough' to make the decision whether to pull out on... or at least it seems to be 99 times out of 100!

Similar thing happens with cyclists; there was a study some years ago, due to the inordinate umber of times, police and insurance reports contained the statement that the push-bike 'just leaped off the pavement in front of me!' I live between three schools, and two parks, and for how frequently BMX-Bandits run the gauntlet accross my bows, I don't find the suggestion at all strange, that push bikes 'leap off the pavement' front of moving vehicles; BUT, study was concerned that wasn't just kids on mountain bikes; and sited incident of a District nurse doing her rounds being knocked off after apparently bunny-hopping infront of a car, off the pavement.. unlikely. Back to this perception thing, and what the study suggested was that a cyclist, moving at a pedestrian pace, and about pedestrian size and shape.. 'Perception' decided it was a pedestrian, and filling in the sketch with 'memory', put in a pedestrian, NOT a cyclist.. BUT.. pedestrians belong on the pavement, don't they? So the 'Percieved' image is of a pedestrian, placed two foot over on the pavement, not a cyclist on the road.. and as long as that cyclist isn't an imminent 'issue', the error is't corrected.. IS corrected as the car gets to within striking distance, and that object n the peripheral vision gets some extra attention, and AH! CYCLIST.. and perception kicks back in, and puts a memory image into the scene where it belongs, ad like a bit of bad continuity editing in a movie, pedestrian suddenly becomes cyclist who 'leaps off the pavement' in front of the car!

Which is all very interesting and totally NOT about cameras... BUT, the camera has no 'Perception'. It doesn't colour what we perceive by what we expect to see, or what we have seen before; nor does it colour what it sees with other sensations, like smell, or sound....it JUST 'sees'..

All I want to do is capture what I see with my eye and produce the same or very close match

Flip the proposition; rather than trying to capture what you 'Perceive'.. try and perceive what the camera 'sees'.....

"North, South, East, West, check the corners, THEN the rest"

Take your eye off the 'subject'; look up, and down, left and right; give the WHOLE scene equal at attention; our 'perception' is 'centre weighted', take the time to look at what is around what we are looking at, that our perception is probably not showing us in 'full detail', but the camera WILL. The come back to the subject.... you smell Donuts, you will 'See' Donut stand.. but what does it ACTUALLY say on the sign? 'Hot-Dogs'? It COULD.. might just say 'SNACKS'.. but fleeting glance, yo would SWEAR o your LIFE what you 'saw' was a donut stand.. except you didn't... you SMELLED a Donut Stand, and 'perception' the decided THAT must be what you 'saw'.. so look again, and again, and again, and FORCE perception to show you what you REALLY see, ot what it THINKS you see... and THEN, your photo's will start looking more like what you saw...

Camera is already capturing what you were looking at... its YOU who aren't seeing what's in the picture

A) Lack of interesting subjects suitable for evening shooting

I find this puzzling. The world doesn't stop in winter. People still do stuff... life goes on. You mention landscape being something you're interested in, so I suspect you have decided that decent landscape shots need to fulfil certain prescriptive criteria: Needs golder hour light... needs to be "pictorial" or have romantic, rural content... that landscapes can't be shot at night or on overcast days... etc, etc..

Why? Why not take landscapes on dull overcast winter days? Why not take them at night? Why not take landscapes in urban environments? It sounds to me like you are limiting yourself because you have an idea of what landscape photographs should looked like... based on (probably) the usual stuff you see in here. Why not do something different?

I don't really take landscape images unless they're part of a wider body of work.. usually documentary or editorial in nature, but when I do, I find breaking away from the usual tropes refreshing.

Took this when it was p1$$ing it down. It was from a series on disused railways... the dull weather lends that sense of abandonment needed.
View attachment 32311

Took this as part of a series on sustainable development in Singapore.... I actually waited for the afternoon tropical rain to roll in... otherwise it would have been the usual sunny shot... which would have sucked.
View attachment 32312

Took this at night... just because every image I saw of Stromness was a ****ing sunset shot, or on a "nice" sunny day. Why?
View attachment 32313

There's beauty everywhere... in every light.... good light is good light, and the idea of only "golden hour" light is for landscapes is limiting and just produces images that look the same as everyone else's. Winter is a great time to shoot. I'm usually much more prolific in Winter. There's far more interesting things to do in Summer :)

B) Any shots I take in low light look very dull or very blurry, usually both. Not sure if this is my technique, equipment - or maybe a bit of both.

Buy a tripod. Simple as that. :) Seriously.... it will be the best investment you'll make in photography since you bought your camera. You should be on a tripod for landscape work anyway, so you can squeeze the maximum sharpness and quality from a camera. Also, you're not limited to enough light to hand hold... all of a sudden, you realise you can shoot anything, any time.

Last edited:
Actually, buying a tripod has a second benefit. You get a new toy to play with. Giving you a new motivation to go out and use it. And when your motivation slumps again, buy another new toy like a new lens. And so on. It may turn out expensive. But the expense might encourage you to finally go out just like that. With no new toy.

That was part of my "throw money at the problem" series of tips.

Last edited:
I bought a little lighting studio from Amazon it was only about £20' not the best but great for playing around with on a rainy day.

If you're doing still life then bedside lamps and sheets of paper can work well with the camera on a tripod. Colour balance isn't a problem shooting raw, and it doesn't matter if your exposure is 1/125th or 12.5sec.

As others have said, autumn/winter can produce some stunning images. unfortunately I haven't taken any of them because landscapes aren't my thing. However I love wildlife over the winter months. The sun tends to be lower producing long sweeping shadows that I find easier to work with. My other fix for bad weather is still life, can be done with a kitchen table a couple of lights from ikea and some coloured card. If you really get into it, then it opens up the world of off camera flash, which is fantastic skill to have once you master it :) It is also a good way to learn about the effects of light when it comes from different directions

Back