Kenko Teleconvertor Teleplus Pro 300 not working with 5d4

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
For years I have used a Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DGX 2x convertor with my Canon 5d3 and 100 L 2.8 macro lens

Have just upgraded to a Canon 5d4 and this combination does not work at all - it wont even let the shutter be released

Can anyone confirm if this is a compatability issue as trying to get a reply from Kenko is not easy

thanks

Yes I saw that and after posting the request on here for double checking, I found a thread from 2017 elsewhere on the net where others had the same complaint but with the 1.4x convertor

There must be some radical change in the 5d4 electrics when the 5d3 worked fine as did the 5d2 previous to that. Others went on to say that until the camera battery was removed other lenses without the convertor connected refused to work also

Guess I will just have to put it up for sale

Maybe another way Canon is trying to block people using third party TC's and making them buy canon ones.

Hi Andrew

I have the Kenko 1.4 Pro300 DGX and the Kenko 2x Teleplus MC4 converters and both work fine with my 5D mk4 and my canon 24-105 f4,
canon 100-400 and my sigma 70-200 2.8. I havent had to tape the pins, I connect the converters first then the lens and then turn on my camera and all is fine.

Kevin

Hi Andrew

Yes thats exactly what i do (converter to the camera first, then lens to the converter then turn on camera) no problem on mine.

Kevin

Ok I tried Kevins tip with my 100L macro lens. Connected convertor to camera, then lens to convertor - nothing

Removed the battery and reinserted it and all the electrics worked - aperture readings etc etc

But the shutter still wouldnt fire

So I guess I'm going to have to sell this one and start saving the pennies for one that is fully compatible

Incidentally Kenko still have not bothered to reply, not even an automated acknowledgement

I did find one article online which said basically switch everything off on the lens stablisation, micro adjustment etc -- reluctant to do this so it will be sold

Last edited:
Did it work with the 24-105mm, sorry I couldn't help any more, best of luck going forward.

Kevin

Hi Kevin - I had forgotten to try that combo mainly because the lens I wanted to use with it was the 100L macro

Put the 24- 105mm on and YES it did work - as 48-210 is already best part covered by my 70-300 lens this makes it frustrating,

Why the 100L macro should not work with it doesn't make sense at all

My reading as I think I mentioned suggested turning off micro adjustment, stabilisation and so on - I refuse to have to do this YET the 24-105mm worked with it all left switched on - makes you wonder whats different with the 100L macro - could it be something to do with its 3 focussing distance switch ?

cheers
Andrew

Last edited:
A further update - my second camera a Canon M50 arrived yesterday so I tried the Kenko convertor along with the 100mm Macro lens on it and it WORKED !!!

This definitely in my mind points to the problem when used with the 5d4 as being something to do with the micro adjustment settings - I might be wrong but it works with the M50 which doesnt have micro adjustments

Back