South-East England Kent, Whitstable, Canterbury and ?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
In November my wife and I are going to take a 4-day weekend break for my birthday, so far we have Canterbury and Whitstable.

Taking the dogs, and I'll be taking my camera! any photogenic locations nearby worth exploring?

Dungeness is well worth a visit - interesting homes, old abandoned fishing boats/equipment etc. :)

Dungeness is well worth a visit - interesting homes, old abandoned fishing boats/equipment etc. :)

Thanks, had considered it before we settled on Canterbury/Whitstable but I suppose it's not too far for a trip out one day.

Thanks, had considered it before we settled on Canterbury/Whitstable but I suppose it's not too far for a trip out one day.
About an hour from Whitstable and you can spend quite a bit of time there ... @G.K.Jnr. could probably give more specific advice.

In November my wife and I are going to take a 4-day weekend break for my birthday, so far we have Canterbury and Whitstable.

Taking the dogs, and I'll be taking my camera! any photogenic locations nearby worth exploring?

Dan, Canterbury can be well worth a visit with lots of interesting places apart from the well known ones.

If you're figuring on going to Whitstable which is also very nice and quite quaint with some unique little shops, a lovely walk along the seafront area and a very photogenic Harbour, and of course if you like oysters then its the place to be. I have a cottage along the seafront that I use for breaks etc (only a very short distance from the Neptune Pub on the beach) but to be quite honest I've spent pretty much all of the summer there this year.

One slight downside is that parking is very limited so I would recommend getting the "Triangle Route" bus from Canterbury Bus Stn that stops several times along Whitstable high street (takes about a half hour). One "Triangle Route" goes Whitstable-Herne Bay and back to Canterbury, and the other one goes Herne Bay-Whitstable and back to Canterbury. Obviously the one that goes to Whitstable first is the one that is the shortest amount of time getting to Whitstable.

Hope this helps.

Dan, Canterbury can be well worth a visit with lots of interesting places apart from the well known ones.

If you're figuring on going to Whitstable which is also very nice and quite quaint with some unique little shops, a lovely walk along the seafront area and a very photogenic Harbour, and of course if you like oysters then its the place to be. I have a cottage along the seafront that I use for breaks etc (only a very short distance from the Neptune Pub on the beach) but to be quite honest I've spent pretty much all of the summer there this year.

One slight downside is that parking is very limited so I would recommend getting the "Triangle Route" bus from Canterbury Bus Stn that stops several times along Whitstable high street (takes about a half hour). One "Triangle Route" goes Whitstable-Herne Bay and back to Canterbury, and the other one goes Herne Bay-Whitstable and back to Canterbury. Obviously the one that goes to Whitstable first is the one that is the shortest amount of time getting to Whitstable.

Hope this helps.

Thanks George, are you saying you rent out the the cottage? parking limited is that in general in Whitstable or just in context of near your cottage?

Thanks George, are you saying you rent out the the cottage? parking limited is that in general in Whitstable or just in context of near your cottage?

No Dan sorry my cottage is not for letting/renting out, and parking without a residence permit is very limited in and all around Whitstable with the nearby public parking areas filling up very quickly. You may just strike lucky but I would strongly recommend using public transport.

No Dan sorry my cottage is not for letting/renting out, and parking without a residence permit is very limited in and all around Whitstable with the nearby public parking areas filling up very quickly. You may just strike lucky but I would strongly recommend using public transport.

Thanks George!

Don't forget Faversham, Oare Marshes, Reculver Towers, Samphire Hoe, Margate and the Turner Contemporary.....
Enjoy your break.

Oare Marshes can give plenty of opportunities depending on what you want to shoot, Faversham has some interesting buildings, the small marina at Conyer, pop over to Sheppey and head down to Leysdown, it's a bit deserted during the winter, but could give some moody images around the town, it's quite an old school type of resort. Whilst there you could drive along towards Shell Ness, and don't forget the Sheppey Road bridge. Reculver has the towers and Roman Fort, Whitstable is famous for it's seafood fishing. Canterbury itself has loads to offer, and there's the nearby Stodmarsh nature reserve if you want some wildlife. Dungeness has loads of opportunities, the power station, lighthouses, miniature railway, more wildlife, fishing boats, the list is endless, and not far away you have Rye which is full of character. Don't forget the seaside resort at Margate, and Dover of course has the white cliffs and castle. The world's your oyster, hope the weather is kind, and you get some great images :D

Oare Marshes can give plenty of opportunities depending on what you want to shoot, Faversham has some interesting buildings, the small marina at Conyer, pop over to Sheppey and head down to Leysdown, it's a bit deserted during the winter, but could give some moody images around the town, it's quite an old school type of resort. Whilst there you could drive along towards Shell Ness, and don't forget the Sheppey Road bridge. Reculver has the towers and Roman Fort, Whitstable is famous for it's seafood fishing. Canterbury itself has loads to offer, and there's the nearby Stodmarsh nature reserve if you want some wildlife. Dungeness has loads of opportunities, the power station, lighthouses, miniature railway, more wildlife, fishing boats, the list is endless, and not far away you have Rye which is full of character. Don't forget the seaside resort at Margate, and Dover of course has the white cliffs and castle. The world's your oyster, hope the weather is kind, and you get some great images :D

thanks Steve, lots of options then ! :) we've booked four nights in Canterbury as our home base.

The walk along the coast from Whitstable to Seasalter is one of my favourites. Love that stretch if coast. Especially in Autumn and Winter. Oh and it's great for bird spotting too.

@dancook in addition to the above I’d also suggest driving out to Sandwich (20 mins from Canterbury) or Deal (30 mins). For the White Cliffs you might want to drive to St Margaret’s (30 mins) and walking up to South Foreland lighthouse and along to Dover. The dogs will need to be on the lead as you are essentially walking the cliff top!

@dancook in addition to the above I’d also suggest driving out to Sandwich (20 mins from Canterbury) or Deal (30 mins). For the White Cliffs you might want to drive to St Margaret’s (30 mins) and walking up to South Foreland lighthouse and along to Dover. The dogs will need to be on the lead as you are essentially walking the cliff top!
It's a lovely walk but can be a bit challenging in November. We're getting big winds ATM and the cliff top is extremely exposed especially if you're on the other side near the sound mirror.

On the other hand it makes for some fantastic images of the sea of you get down lower. Samphire hoe and the Warren are perfect.

Our chihuahua's not a fan of this wind, it's a gauntlet of flying leaves on her walks.

I will have to start plotting all these great suggestions out, thanks.

If it's not too late, check out Botany Bay (Margate/Broadstairs) for some impressive sea-stacks and arches.

If it's not too late, check out Botany Bay (Margate/Broadstairs) for some impressive sea-stacks and arches.

Leaving tomorrow night, will start drawing up a plan of action tomorrow :) thanks!

Dan
Don't forget to take a hot water bottle -wellie boots- waterproof coat- waders- life belt for when you fall into the sea and flares- paracetamol for the cold you are bound to get- breakdown cover. Have great time. ;) :ROFLMAO: Oh and let the life boat people know you are on the way to be on the safe side

Last edited:
Back