kestrel, male & female

I didn't comment on these shots when they were first posted (hahaha, geddit) because something didn't 'smell' right.
By removing the 'ugly' post you have completely changed the context of the shot from being of a bird coming in to land to one of a bird apparently about to catch its prey.

Chris Wormwell said:
I didn't comment on these shots when they were first posted (hahaha, geddit) because something didn't 'smell' right.
By removing the 'ugly' post you have completely changed the context of the shot from being of a bird coming in to land to one of a bird apparently about to catch its prey.

I apologise for misleading you but I just thought it was an ok shot of a beautiful bird.
No more , no less.

As far as I'm concerned that's an end to it.

if you would of said that when you said No Problem it would of saved the likes of people like Graham getting involved, think he just had to have his five mins of fame because he dont get it any other way :D

go through the thread, he says "no problem", so what's your problem ? are we not entitled to see what he has cloned out or we all meant to praise him for his fantastic flight shot that it not all it is cracked up to be ? and lets face it the clone job is a mess or are you all blind to it, well looking at your work i would say yes.

I am quite happy to end it there as well. Lea has once again chosen to demonstrate a total lack of constructive criticism technique. I do not believe Lea has actually ever commented on an image I have posted for critique, but chooses to do so on this thread in a generic derogatory fashion. Shame really because Lea posts up some excellent images and could probably offer helpful and constructive guidance to those, like myself, who are totally aware that they are learning the hobby and trying hard to improve.

Sorry to have hi-jacked your thread Drexyl.

Last edited:
As good as these images are, I can sympathise with the critique. When you say 'quite rightly' in regard to cloning the post out, there's nothing right about it.
The RSPB guidelines for wild bird photography specifically discourage cloning/masking out backgrounds. They used to be stickied at the top of the forum and I thought that most birders on here had agreed to adopt them.

The prompting for an unedited photo is unwarranted though.

Blimey 1st I have heard of this....the RSPB sticking there 2penneth in and there being a warning on here.....

AS regards Lea....I think we all know that we had a spat earlier but since than he has been helping me with my later Kestrel shot and has also taught me a lot of basic computer work.
Just thought I would let you all know.

Keith (y)

Apologies, it wasn't the RSPB (I really should have known better!!!), but British Birds. The thread in question is a sticky in Talk Nature, here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=318438

The relevant paragraph is the last one.

FWIW, badgering someone to post an unedited photograph is just not on in my opinion- it's like demanding to see a negative. Only I get to see mine, unless there's a very specific reason why I should show one. Pointing out an error in someone's editing, or asking to see a version without a particular action/modification however is a different matter- but only the once.

Blimey 1st I have heard of this....the RSPB sticking there 2penneth in and there being a warning on here.....

AS regards Lea....I think we all know that we had a spat earlier but since than he has been helping me with my later Kestrel shot and has also taught me a lot of basic computer work.
Just thought I would let you all know.

Keith (y)

That's excellent news.

I noticed the beginning of some nasty words part way down page 1 so have since not bothered reading a chunk of the posts here, but I will say, these are some stunning shots of a beautiful bird. Number one for me, great work (y)

Some of you on here could start an arguement in an empty room.

So in one of the images a post has been cloned out. How many of you do PP to images?
I much prefer to put an image up straight out of the camera, which the OP did and then it was suggested he clone it out.

Maybe we should have a non PP section.

End of the day a cracking set of photos, let's not distract from that.

Reidy36 said:
So in one of the images a post has been cloned out. How many of you do PP to images?
I much prefer to put an image up straight out of the camera, which the OP did and then it was suggested he clone it out.

I process my shots, but I don't clone or alter images. Could you point out where it was suggested that the first shot should be altered?

drexyl said:
No problem , was just an ugly post . I thought it drew my attention away from the bird.

This bit.
I am just saying give the OP a break, going to get to the point where people won't post images up due to the hassle they get.

Back