Kiev 6c

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
got a deal on a Kiev 6c with a vega 90mm for £120. Apparently all works, looks in decent condition, has had a cla 3 years ago.
Just wondering if that's worth it? I'm looking to get into medium format for landscape photos but I'm on a budget. I don't mind if it's heavy and a bit odd to use as long as it takes sharp photos

I think (but I'm not sure) that @stevelmx5 may have had a Kiev 6 and liked it a lot. I would say that the price you paid is pretty good if its all in working order. The Vega lens is reputed to be very sharp if a little under-built and is highly rated, gives about 56mm on MF cameras I believe. The Kiev 6C is another sturdy and heavy soviet camera with a good reputation. Sounds like you have picked up a bargain and I look forward to seeing the results.

Andy

Might have worded it wrong, I haven't yet bought it, it's been offered for £120. Been looking at medium format for a while. Most hasselblad style cameras are around £350 which whilst not a lot of money I can't justify at the moment

I had a Kiev 80 which is the Hasselblad 500C style body but that had the Vega 90mm lens and gave excellent results;

https://flickr.com/photos/8476499@N02/sets/72157635614385106

The 6c is the same body style as the Pentacon Six (which I've also had briefly). Just make sure the film counter winds on properly because it's a known weakness and generally isn't very easy to fix. My Pentacon had that issue and even Miles Whitehead said that he couldn't fix it.

Personally, out of the two body styles I'd go for the Kiev 80 if I was going to get another because I prefer the top-down WLF to the SLR style body of the 6C

Cool cheers :). The Kiev 80 style body is the one that appeals to me more, I think I'm probably better off saving a waiting a little longer. Bronica and mamiya seem ok

Having said that they accept returns...tempted to just get it and see how I feel

If you're not set on 6x6 I'd definitely recommend a Mamiya M645J. It doesn't have a removable back so it slightly more compact than an ETRS and can take either a WLF or Prism for an SLR style. I've had a few, sold them then bought them back and would still go back to one :0) Paired with the 35mm 3.5 lens it's an amazing combination for landscapes and won't break your back or the bank!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjTYXbUz

M645J / 35mm 3.5 / Acros 100.....why did I sell it :(

A walk around Liverpool by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Wow, the resolution is high! I always want big prints or the ability to have big prints, my a6000 doesn't quite do it for me, still good though. Just need to start saving! Don't even have anything to sell :(

Wow, the resolution is high! I always want big prints or the ability to have big prints, my a6000 doesn't quite do it for me, still good though. Just need to start saving! Don't even have anything to sell :(

I guess the question is, what do you mean by 'big'? I've delivered 4'x3' portrait prints for clients from my old Canon 40D so I'd have no concerns doing the same from my A6000. The same goes for film, you need a good quality scan (or wet print) to get the best out of it but most Medium Format systems will deliver the results.

I had a Kiev can't remember the model number and it was nice, bot so heavy, like a 4lb nikon.
in all honesty like above have said go for a nice mamiya

I guess the question is, what do you mean by 'big'? I've delivered 4'x3' portrait prints for clients from my old Canon 40D so I'd have no concerns doing the same from my A6000. The same goes for film, you need a good quality scan (or wet print) to get the best out of it but most Medium Format systems will deliver the results.
That is true, I may feel a bit too nostalgic about film! Been using 35mm for about 6months and it's been far more fun than using the a6000, I feel my 'hit to miss ratio' is better too, take my time more

Lovely shot that Steve :D

Thanks Alan :)

That is true, I may feel a bit too nostalgic about film! Been using 35mm for about 6months and it's been far more fun than using the a6000, I feel my 'hit to miss ratio' is better too, take my time more

Sorry, I think I got the wrong point across. I love shooting film too, and use it more than digital, but my point was that you can print big from the A6000 but you can also print big from a well exposed/scanned negative too.

I suppose all this could be avoided if someone just gave me a hasselblad...hint hint...I'll accept a mamiya though :p

Gotta agree with steve on the m645. I've got both a J and a 1000S and absolutely love them. Nice, light and compact for medium format and produce fantastic results. I've got a whole album of shots taken with my 1000S, which is a J with a higher max shutter speed and a few extra functions.

Seen an mamiya 645j for £150. I'm tempted but not sure how I feel abouI 645 over 6x6.

Gotta agree with steve on the m645. I've got both a J and a 1000S and absolutely love them. Nice, light and compact for medium format and produce fantastic results. I've got a whole album of shots taken with my 1000S, which is a J with a higher max shutter speed and a few extra functions.

I'd note that mirror lock-up on the 1000S is helpful on a tripod, but not available on the M645J. It was one of the major reasons I purchased a 1000S after a while with the J, though I still have both.

I'm tempted but not sure how I feel abouI 645 over 6x6.

More frames per roll :)

Vertical shooting is tricky if you have only a chimney finder. A prism finder (and especially with the left hand grip IMO) makes it a lot easier.

Nice :). Yea the mirror lock up would be nice but as I'm just getting into it it's something I can look at in the future

Lens wise, the 80 f2.8 is the usual standard lens and always seems to produce nice results. The best lenses from the range I've used are the 55mm f2.8, the 120mm f4 macro and the 150mm f2.8. The 150 is an absolute cracker, so much so that I use it on my nikon as well. The APO stuff is extremely good but comes with a hefty price tag. The 35 and 45 have a mixed reputation. I've got a 35 that seems to produce good results so I can't complain about it.

Only bit of advice I can offer regarding the M645 range is to not automatically just wind on and cock the shutter as they don't appreciate being left cocked whilst in storage.

I loved medium format but ended up going back to 35mm just because it was so easy to carry I use an F2 I had restored by sober wing and it is just fantastic I never tire of the massive view finder.

I don't think you'd notice much in the way of diffraction effects at f/22 on a 645 frame...

Back