Kiev

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I remember being mentioned to look up kievs when I wanted a hassy them being the poor mans alternative. I've found one possibly a bargain that I wanted to ask your opinion of.

It's an 88cm that was Hartblei conditioned comes with:
waist level finder (I'd prefer that to an eyepiece type as I have plenty of cams with those)
Arsat 80/2.8
old style back (works)
new style back (doesn't)
hood/caps/strap

What ought I know before I step into this, I am working on the basis that its a cheap and unreliable hassy clone ( and if I had 800 quid I'd get a hassy)?

I have seen pics (looks good nick) and sample pics (luverly) what kinda price is right for one of these (so I know if I'm doing well or badly) as I know I can get it for 130 but would like to pay 100 or as much less as pos as this is a tricky time for money.

Regards,
David

oh and if you promise not to poach it i'll post the link

Don't know much about Kiev medium format cameras but I assume the one you have seen is an 88 the Hasselblad look alike

http://kievaholic.com/mediumformat.html

Seems to have a fair bit of info on them, sure I have another link somewhere but can't find it.

Oh and no you do not need a blackbag/darkroom to load the backs, you can open them load then in daylight.

my friend has one of these.

he paid a lot more for one but it came with 3 lenses as well!

not had a chance to shoot some film in it because he has been using it constantly, they are bloody heavy mind so get yourself a gym membership. :D

heavy I expect, not planning on using a shoulder strap :D wanna grab a few more backs and play with some delta 3200 in a gig :D

where did your mate buy his penguin?

very true mister e but I've wanted one for when I just take a 35mm body with me for a long time so it seems like a good time for it

pretty much made up my mind, gonna see how cheaply I can pick it up now :D

Hi

I have a Kiev 88 and a Salut, both Russian Hassy copies, they are both very adequate Medium format cameras, good lenses and the availability of some very cheap fisheye and tele lenses, ( for MF that is), i'm sure you will be pleased with your new addition.

Dave

Anyone know where I can source one other than fleabay as atm all the others have prisms and I prefer a waist level finder (+ its cheaper)

If it was re-conditioned by Hartblei - go for it. The Kiev's themselves were (still are) produced in Ukrainian military factory (Arsenal) in my former hometown ;).

Some older models used to be good quality but unfortunately this is now quite a bit inconsistent. Hartblei and Arax (effectively operated by the same guys) are taking those cameras (new and old) and reconditioning them to up the standard so generally what goes out of them are of a very good quality. However, those reconditioned cameras usually cost more and I would be quite careful if somebody selling it advertised it as Hartblei or Arax ones with the price of under 100 quid. If you go for it - check the following:

1) shutter is light tight and is in good condition
2) camera and mirror chamber is all black (so there is no naked metal parts which might cause reflections)
3) all the seals are light tight
4) all the closing/locking parts are locking tightly (waist level viewfinder/TTL prism, lens mount, film holder etc).

If it was re-conditioned by Hartblei - go for it. The Kiev's themselves were (still are) produced in Ukrainian military factory (Arsenal) in my former hometown ;).

Some older models used to be good quality but unfortunately this is now quite a bit inconsistent. Hartblei and Arax (effectively operated by the same guys) are taking those cameras (new and old) and reconditioning them to up the standard so generally what goes out of them are of a very good quality. However, those reconditioned cameras usually cost more and I would be quite careful if somebody selling it advertised it as Hartblei or Arax ones with the price of under 100 quid. If you go for it - check the following:

1) shutter is light tight and is in good condition
2) camera and mirror chamber is all black (so there is no naked metal parts which might cause reflections)
3) all the seals are light tight
4) all the closing/locking parts are locking tightly (waist level viewfinder/TTL prism, lens mount, film holder etc).

thanks for the detailed and v useful response, but I missed it, BiN price was 120 so I think it was kosher

sorry david, didnt realise you had replied on here!

my friend got it from ebay u.s me thinks but pretty sure he paid over £200 for it, eejit!

I've owned a Kiev 88 before, built like a Russian tractor and took pretty good pictures.

I own one too now :D should be here tuesday got any tips for useing it, got a roll of delta 100 sitting ready too

Point, focus, shoot ;) You're not talking about high tech here, even if you have the metering viewfinder. It's just a nice solid performer.

Back