Critique Kilchurn castle - dawn, golden light and reflections

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Initially when I arrived the Loch was choppy but the forecast was for low winds so I stuck about. Slowly but surely the reflections that I love slowly started to appear.

Long exposure to try and smooth out the remaining chop

_DSC8587 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

A good while later light started to hit the banks of the Loch but not the castle, I had hoped to get the castle lit but fired the shutter as felt this could have been the best of the trip

_DSC8602 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Winds came and killed the reflections and a few fisherman started wading into the Loch nuking the reflections, then mercifully they had an equipment issue and the winds died down and the reflection came back so I nabbed this one as the light was just on the castle

_DSC8608 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The went a little wider to get some more of that epic sky in

_DSC8611 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The atmposherics changed and I finally grabbed this before going home

_DSC8629 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Nice work Steve. I went here recently on my way up to Mallaig, and got a little mist, but none of the hanging cloud in the valley behind, which really lifts the shot. It's a beautiful drive past Glenfinnan too, though the monument was in scaffold, so I didn't shoot it. Looks some good potential in that area!
I think I like the 2nd shot the most, thought the top of the castle looks a touch darkened by grad use perhaps.
The last one is nice and punchy too, a good set overall.
It's a real shame about those pylons though, they really attract the light, dont they!

Reactions: ST4
Excellent to see the progression of the light. Those pics are a great education for beginners who may be wondering what all the fuss is about to "get nice light".

I think #3 actually works best of the bunch, as the dark castle seems to have much more "atmosphere" than when it is lit in the 5th shot. The difference between #2 and #3 is really marked when you get that super patchy light on the trees.

I think #5 is a bit on the bright side - might be worth dropping the exposure a bit to bring out more of the contours in the scene.

Top marks for perseverance :).

I would start by straightening it.

Hope that helps.

It would but it was measured on a spirit level at the time and checked in post. The shoreline isn't perfectly straight and cuts in and out. Please feel free to download a copy and see if you can get it "straighter". The castle, to my eye, looks upright but I concede, its tricky due to that shoreline. I believe it to be straight, if you could kindly edit it and show me I am happy to accept if I am wrong.

The shoreline makes it look like it needs a slight anticlockwise rotation but as the verticals look spot on I think it is fine and the apparent slope is caused by the wiggly shoreline.

These progressions are very interesting to a novice landscape photographer like me who doesn't have the patience to wait or the willingness to get out of bed early enough for the best light. They really show the value of hanging around/planning.

I know you really like mirror-like reflections but I prefer the slight distortions of the last shot

Castle is definitely vertical ... interesting progression of shots but hate the pylons so 1st would be my choice as they are more subdued :)

Nice tight composition, and the lighting and atmosphere, and the meteorological conditions, in that first shot, provide a very striking and distinctive effect, particularly (for a Scot) with the impression of a Saltire emerging among the predominantly sombre blues and off-whites. I like it very much.

Interesting set Steve. I'm going with 4 still has the lovely light on the hillside and has the magical reflection. As you have pulled out a bit and the light has changed a smidge, its taken the highlight off the power lines, right, and although the light is a little better in 3 the power lines are more prominent there.
Yep i'm going to stick with 4!
PS reflections do my head in, i just never get them! @Kevin O'Brian keeps getting those shots of Llyn Nantlle and i'm bloody sure he dump tons of gelatine (that sets the lake solid) in that lake before he shoots, do you use the same tactics?:)

Interesting set Steve. I'm going with 4 still has the lovely light on the hillside and has the magical reflection. As you have pulled out a bit and the light has changed a smidge, its taken the highlight off the power lines, right, and although the light is a little better in 3 the power lines are more prominent there.
Yep i'm going to stick with 4!
PS reflections do my head in, i just never get them! @Kevin O'Brian keeps getting those shots of Llyn Nantlle and i'm bloody sure he dump tons of gelatine (that sets the lake solid) in that lake before he shoots, do you use the same tactics?:)

Its a combination of planning and luck. Still water requires low winds. Typically a wind speed below 3mph (unless its sheltered you can maybe risk 4-5mph) and little to no wind gusts. Being Scotland you'll always get small gusts but if the forecasts are for gusts 6mph or more forget it. I find the met office, BBC forecast winds quite well.

Loch Awe is a pain as fishing is popular there so people wade in or toss fishing lines which ripple the water. This morning was fraught with wind gusts, fishing lines and getting perfect reflections was not the work of a moment.

Just too add the larger the body of water the harder it is to get a reflection. This bay in Loch Awe isn't too bad, but smaller, more enclosed lochans are easier.

Last edited:
I can see it on my school report now! "Could do better, must try harder":)
It looks like a wonderful place Steve, despite the challenges it poses.... I really must visit Scotland! Its on the bucket list;)

A nice set Steve. I think the first would make for an interesting mono conversion. The 3rd image is my pick, apart from those pesky pylons which are really grabbing the light.

Back