King Of Southsea

Edit My Images
No
A few shots from the recent King Of Southsea BMX Park Finals at the iconic Southsea Skatepark

19475-1516190157-82d691cfd38fcee094630fc5f7b9469a.jpg

19476-1516190158-80399ea794891fb841a52f63e1a3cee2.jpg

19477-1516190158-92c494eeb91634fce131695a6513d677.jpg

Very nice - been thnking of hunting down a few BMX/Skate Park types of places for some action shots myself

Very nice - been thnking of hunting down a few BMX/Skate Park types of places for some action shots myself

Thanks Ian.

I can definitely recommend Southsea, especially when there's a competition on. It's a great park with a lot of history, from skateboarding, to BMX and now scooters seem particularly popular there. There's quite a few little skateparks in Hampshire/Surrey though, Farnham, Farnborough and Aldershot all have setups, though it's mainly scooters I've seen using them.

Nice shots. But with a bit of a crop they could be even better. Lose the roof in the top left, and bring up the bottom a bit to lose the side of the ramp in the foreground. Will help to clean up the photo a bit.

Nice shots. But with a bit of a crop they could be even better. Lose the roof in the top left, and bring up the bottom a bit to lose the side of the ramp in the foreground. Will help to clean up the photo a bit.

Thanks Seba, all feedback gratefully received. Do you mean cropped like this?

19480-1516271822-59fca724af4c14000a733f18250e8e15.jpg

I would have gone right in on the crop, like the attached, if the quality was there in the original, but I guess it's a personal preferencebmx.jpg

Thanks Ian.

I can definitely recommend Southsea, especially when there's a competition on. It's a great park with a lot of history, from skateboarding, to BMX and now scooters seem particularly popular there. There's quite a few little skateparks in Hampshire/Surrey though, Farnham, Farnborough and Aldershot all have setups, though it's mainly scooters I've seen using them.

Yup, I know the one in Farnham as my lad used to hang out there a fair bit. I'm always a bit wary about something like hanging around a skatepark with a bunch of young kids. I think, unless i've had permission from parents, i'd rather try and find an official comp or adults to photograph

I would have gone right in on the crop, like the attached, if the quality was there in the original, but I guess it's a personal preferenceView attachment 118507

I've cropped like that for one or two from the day, but Southsea Skatepark is such an iconic place for the BMX community I wanted to include it in shot, in particular the bandstand in the background. I also wanted to convey the height they were getting which requires at least some of the ramp in shot. As you say though, personal preference.

Yup, I know the one in Farnham as my lad used to hang out there a fair bit. I'm always a bit wary about something like hanging around a skatepark with a bunch of young kids. I think, unless i've had permission from parents, i'd rather try and find an official comp or adults to photograph

Yes, that is a concern. Even at the King of Southsea comp when I inquired about taking pictures they recommended I wait until the junior competition was over before I did so. It's a shame it's come to that, as when I was a kid riding BMX with my mates we'd love it if someone came and took our pictures, even giving them our addresses so they could send us copies. Different times....

Thanks Seba, all feedback gratefully received. Do you mean cropped like this?

19480-1516271822-59fca724af4c14000a733f18250e8e15.jpg

Spot on. Much cleaner photo now.

Looking at where they jump and the bandstand in the background, maybe next time move to your left a bit, see if you can get riders perfectly over the top of the bandstand.

Good start though. Keep going!

Spot on. Much cleaner photo now.

Looking at where they jump and the bandstand in the background, maybe next time move to your left a bit, see if you can get riders perfectly over the top of the bandstand.

Good start though. Keep going!

Thanks Seba. Unfortunately there wasn't much scope for moving around and I'd bagged a spot with a good view of the biggest ramp in the park so I was a little reluctant to give it up in hope of somewhere better, but I agree, that would have made a good shot.

It’s a shame that so many of us feel this way, all because of the actions of a minority.

Back