Kingfisher at Nest [more pics]

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
I spent a wonderful weekend with Jeff Harrison (www.jeffharrisonphotography.co.uk) photographing a pair of kingfishers at their nest. It was amazing seeing their efforts to keep the young well fed. The male even managed to catch 4 fish in exactly 4 minutes!

This was taken under a schedule 1 license.

The first kingfisher I have ever seen so I am pleased with the results but not sure what others will think! :D:D

Which is your favourite? I'd also like to know if the third in this series works or not for you? Thanks!

61d0feb3b750247b28a6bedd4136e95d-d4y41tz.jpg

7129296325_ee50719fc6_o.jpg

7129296187_736f8c3518_o.jpg

Last edited:
Well done Will , an excellent shot of the kingfisher ... also had a peek at your site , love the owl in the tree .

Good luck for the future .

Nice capture Will, enjoyed reading details on your web site.
Were you using your 200-400, with or with out your 1.7x teleconverter ?.

Thank you everyone! I've added some new pics to the series. Would be great to know what you think of the other two.

Nice capture Will, enjoyed reading details on your web site.
Were you using your 200-400, with or with out your 1.7x teleconverter ?.

Thanks! Without the teleconverter, I find that it reduces sharpness quite a bit.

Hi Will,

Congrats on the shot's, exposure looks good, nice colours just not keen on the composition.

I'd prefer to be level with the subject, not sure if this is possible in your situation or not but something worth considering if you get another chance. Also I'd prefer the HA's in a position where there's some eye contact with the onlooker, personally I think this really makes a picture stick out.

The last shot I think is probably the best, bird looks sharp however the top two thirds of the shot are a little distracting, maybe worth trying a landscape shot with it, take away the top two thirds.

Hope you don't mind me commenting Will, as I say the birds are sharp and the exposure good.

Good luck for next time.

Cheers
Carl.

www.carldayphotography.co.uk

Hi Will,

Nice work on all 3 shots :clap: :clap:

In answer to your question as to whether no.3 works or not, with 59 'Likes' and 18 almost totally positive comments on your Facebook page I think you probably know the answer by now ;)

It's always nice to get some shots showing some of the habitat and I rather like the diagonals of the branches. Obviously it's difficult to please everybody with every shot but, as I've told you before, it's often good to produce something that breaks the conventional rules of composition or perhaps looks "kinda funny" to some, as you then know you're doing something different and it's usually all the better for it :);)

Jeff
(Schedule 1 Licence holder for Kingfishers and Barn Owls)
www.jeffharrisonphotography.co.uk

Hi Will,

Congrats on the shot's, exposure looks good, nice colours just not keen on the composition.

I'd prefer to be level with the subject, not sure if this is possible in your situation or not but something worth considering if you get another chance. Also I'd prefer the HA's in a position where there's some eye contact with the onlooker, personally I think this really makes a picture stick out.

The last shot I think is probably the best, bird looks sharp however the top two thirds of the shot are a little distracting, maybe worth trying a landscape shot with it, take away the top two thirds.

Hope you don't mind me commenting Will, as I say the birds are sharp and the exposure good.

Good luck for next time.

Cheers
Carl.

www.carldayphotography.co.uk

Looks like he had a low pov as it is.....and as it's at a nest site (license or not) it would not be wise to be setting up a new shooting area now. :(

The colours look a bit too bright for me and are over exposed in the white areas around the face.
I prefer No 3 but as said with a crop to loose most of the upper branches.
Thanks
Keith (y)

Those are outstanding. Despite living in the country, within 200yds ATCF of a major river, I have yet to see a kingfisher 'in the feather', let alone being lucky enough to film one!!

That fish in the firstpic looks pretty much hacked off!!

Looks like he had a low pov as it is.....and as it's at a nest site (license or not) it would not be wise to be setting up a new shooting area now. :(

The colours look a bit too bright for me and are over exposed in the white areas around the face.
I prefer No 3 but as said with a crop to loose most of the upper branches.
Thanks
Keith (y)

Keith,

I'm not saying move to a completely different position, that would obviously be detrimental. All I'm saying is that maybe just lower the camera, if at all possible.

The POV is low like you say but I'd just prefer it to be lower.

Cheers
Carl.

Thanks all.

Keith,

I'm not saying move to a completely different position, that would obviously be detrimental. All I'm saying is that maybe just lower the camera, if at all possible.

The POV is low like you say but I'd just prefer it to be lower.

Cheers
Carl.

Whenever I can I always shoot on eye level as I agree, it does make a shot more impacting.
However as you'll be aware it is not always possible and in this case I was shooting from a bank edge, and if I went any lower I'd be in the water!

Back