Kingfisher Feeding Sequence.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Tenderisng operations in progress - she was really whacking that fish against the perch with some serious force! :D

4953876928_209cb1eec7_o.jpg

4953876990_f08c5205ac_o.jpg

4953285801_4144dcde1d_o.jpg

4953285865_92d3a2ed56_o.jpg

7D, 500mm f/4L, 800 ISO.

Wonderful series CT, so well captured, I love the detail and colours, even the water droplets being splashed around, excellent work indeed. Got to feel sorry for the fish, but thats nature. Thanks for sharing these, (y)

Thanks fellers. It's unblievable the size of some of the fish these birds can swallow! :eek: This was one of the smaller ones.

My only regret was not taking the 300mm 2.8 for a go at some dive shots-the 500mm was just too long to have any serious chance, these are all full frame.

Stunning set mate (y) im going to take the camera up to Upton Warren in a couple of hours see if i can get a few wish they came that close up there
Regards
Richard

Thanks fellers. It's unblievable the size of some of the fish these birds can swallow! :eek: This was one of the smaller ones.

My only regret was not taking the 300mm 2.8 for a go at some dive shots-the 500mm was just too long to have any serious chance, these are all full frame.

Alright mate, no need to rub it in :LOL:. Cracking shots one most of us want to get :clap::clap:

The bar has been well and truly raised unbelieveable shot CT!

No2 for the look on the fish's face, great detail in all these.

INSPIRING comes to mind when viewing this set of captures.
Thanks for sharing C.T.

Even my 2 daughters have been drawn from there computer games.

Comment to me from my youngest “Daddy why don’t your pictures look pretty like these ones”.

Regards
Paul.

another nice set ceds but im sure you could of toned down the fish in a few of these shots especially the last one (y)

bowing.gif

Also showing nicely to newcomers Ced`s, the very shallow depth of field, bird toggers have to contend with.

bowing.gif

Also showing nicely to newcomers Ced`s, the very shallow depth of field, bird toggers have to contend with.

LOL.Don't overdo it Rich - you can get up now. :D

DOF was a real problem actually as this perch is around 18 feet from the hide -tops, which is only just over the minimum focusing distance of the 500mm which was the only lens I took. I was working wide open most of the time at f4, so focus had to be absolutely bang on. A shorter lens would have been better in some respects, but you can't have it both ways and I do like to get max feather detail into the shots if I can - these are all full frame.

I wish I'd taken two lenses tbh - the 500mm was too long for any realistic chance at dive shots.

they are a wonderful set,but I have a question to ask and this is not meant as a criticism,could the shutter speed have been faster to give the water droplets more definition, because as it stands they look like blemishes on the image.

Just as I thought I was getting there, you go and post another bar raising set.............:bang:

Superb Cedric.....(y)

they are a wonderful set,but I have a question to ask and this is not meant as a criticism,could the shutter speed have been faster to give the water droplets more definition, because as it stands they look like blemishes on the image.
No probs Will - I don't mind criticism anyway. I ws shooting wide open at f/4. so the only way I could have increased the shutter speed was to increase the ISO, with the attendant risk of more noise qhich I really didn't want to do, my priority was some really sharp static shots, so these were a bonus.

It's a difficuly call really, you want a sense of movement in the shots and some of the bird shots could have probably done with a little blur in parts of the bird. I keep coming back to wishing I'd taken the 300 2.8 though, which would have given me a stop faster shutter speed, especially for the dive shots.

Thanks for the comments folks , they're really appreciated. :)

It was just one of those great days with good light for the most part, and a total of ten visits from these two birds. In fact on one visit from the male he just sat there bobbing his head as they do and looking around for ages, showing no inclination to fish at all. In the end, rather than keep taking the same shots I left the camera and just sat and watched him through a tiny viewing slit for well over half an hour. Not a sound except the fast flowing water and me and him sharing this isolated spot. It was worth going just for that memory, but all in all a wonderful day.

Kingfishes are just such a spectacular bird, it's easy to become totally besotted with them, which I really don't want to do, there are plenty of other great birds I could do with going after so I hope they're out of my system - for a while at least. ;)

I almost filled three 4 gig cards on the day, but don't worry - I wont be posting them all! :D Here's one though from that long visit from the male where a helicopter went over and he watched it till it was out of sight. Quite comical.

4336_5552923144c822a9118596.jpg

Last edited:
Right, I have been motivated, i`m off up the beck............(y)

No probs Will - I don't mind criticism anyway. I ws shooting wide open at f/4. so the only way I could have increased the shutter speed was to increase the ISO, with the attendant risk of more noise qhich I really didn't want to do, my priority was some really sharp static shots, so these were a bonus.

It's a difficuly call really, you want a sense of movement in the shots and some of the bird shots could have probably done with a little blur in parts of the bird. I keep coming back to wishing I'd taken the 300 2.8 though, which would have given me a stop faster shutter speed, especially for the dive shots.

Thank you CT,believe it or not this sort of information does help the likes of me.

wow look at that detail :) awesome, Im gonna try again tomorrow but these are great kingfisher shots - fab

Back