Kingfisher photography

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. Iam profoundly deaf since birth and my English is second to BSL (British Sign Language) iam struggling to find the best place for photographing kingfishes in UK. I may thought Lackford lakes or Rye Meads could be the best place to capture than somewhere else.. So iam asking you experienced photographers where can I find the good one to get it shot? I may plan to go out later this summer. Many thanks for your help or feedback

I was recently told they were doing a refurb on the hide at Rye Meads.
Some years ago the perch the kingfisher was using too far away from the hide and the only person who got good photos was a chap with a Canon 400mm prime with a x2 converter.
There is a good place on the river Stour near Christchurch but as far as I am aware, it's not been on the regular perch for a while as we believe it is feeding 2 different nests.
I've also been told they've been seen at a couple of places here in Basingstoke but I've never see them myself.
I spent a year on various sites trying to shoot Kingfishers so I know how you feel.
There are othe sites in Hampshire such as Barton Mill and Anton lakes in Andover, Basingtoke Canal in Ashvale in Surrey and Lakeside reserve which is also in Surrey.
I've seen a kingfisher on the Basingtoke Canal and also at Lakside a few times.
There are various privately owned hides you can pay to rent as well.
I've also been told by people more in the know than me that it's not worth trying to shoot them during breeding season and it's better to wait until autumn / winter.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your explanation regarding kingfishers. Rye Meads sound good to me. I have a 300mm f4 PF with 1.4tc on Nikon D850, become 650mm on DX cropped.

Lackford Lakes has a breeding pair. My profile photo was taken there. Some nice hides and usually easy to get a shot.

That's brilliant. I will try to arrange to get there later in the summer if lucky. Fingers crossed!
Lackford Lakes has a breeding pair. My profile photo was taken there. Some nice hides and usually easy to get a shot.

Back