Kingfisher spotting on the River Roding near Abridge.

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I have had some luck spotting Kingfishers recently on the river Roding near Abridge in Essex.

I need some more eyes to help track where the Kingies are flying to up and down the river and hopefully find a regular feeding spot where we can set up a hide for photography.

If anybody would like join me, or if you have any tips on tracking Kingies then please add to this post.

Thanks

Marty

You could just put up your own perch, then pop up your hide and wait. (be prepared to wait a long time though). I regularly spend 3hrs a time at my local river, sometimes (mostly) they just fly past. Sometimes they land on alternate perches of any nearby tree etc., but I have had some success using this method.
good luck and happy hunting :)

Last edited:
Hi Martin,must admit that I have'nt had any problems with the kingfishers I photograph finding the perch's,last week I was putting another one up and by the time I had rowed back to my hide to make sure it was in the right place a kingfisher was on it.If you can put in a few and once they start finding them take out the one's that they don't use if you get my meaning,till you've got one which they use regularly,then set up youre hide (be careful of the background).Good luck and don't get disheartened. (y)

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try to be a bit more patient.

The location I am at is new to me and I have only seen the Kingfisher a few times. The river is fairly fast running and there does not seem to be many if any small fish in view. There are lots of overhanging branches so tempting the bird on to a perch could be a problem. I will try to find the time to spend a day watching the location.

Just out of interest, most of my sightings at this location and others have been early in the morning. Do kingies mainly fish in the early hours and once full rest up for the day?

No one said it was going to be easy.

Marty

Ps. Great Kingfisher pictures.

Last edited:
Martin,

More than happy to come to sunny Essex for a day. I have never ever seen a kingfisher (other than on a bottle of beer in the local Indian!) and as such not convinced they exist........:LOL:

From comments on here from the "birders" , seems you have to be very patient and then sometimes all you get is a sliver of flashing blue and orange.........

another time, you'll get 2 sitting there preening for the camera........ :thinking:

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try to be a bit more patient.

The location I am at is new to me and I have only seen the Kingfisher a few times. The river is fairly fast running and there does not seem to be many if any small fish in view. There are lots of overhanging branches so tempting the bird on to a perch could be a problem. I will try to find the time to spend a day watching the location.

Just out of interest, most of my sightings at this location and others have been early in the morning. Do kingies mainly fish in the early hours and once full rest up for the day?

No one said it was going to be easy.

Ps. Great Kingfisher pictures.

Hi Martin

How have you been getting on? Have you managed to photograph any at this location?

Last edited:
Back