Kingfisher

Edit My Images
Yes
Out to try and catch the Kingfisher today, horrendous light conditions with no sun, early morning fog and frost. Even at ISO 800 I was sometimes only getting 1/80th of a second, at 100 ISO I was getting 1/40th LOL. Still I had to shoot him anyway, apologies for the crap quality, I will try and get him again once we get some sun. The fish out of water shot was taken whilst still on MF so missed the focus on that one. These are pretty severe crops as I was sitting further down the bank from the branch he alighted on as I was trying to hedge my bets and cover 3 or 4 branches near me, in the end he landed on the one I had selected the other day as the most likely DOH!

All Canon 30D 100-400L IS and some with the Kenko 1.4x TC.

222020400-XL.jpg

222020590-XL.jpg

222020784-XL.jpg

222021132-XL.jpg

222018563-XL.jpg

222019154-XL.jpg

222022241-XL.jpg

Mike.

Last one is a cracker........looks like an oil painting with that background (y)

crikey those are very good! :clap:

Apologies? You having a laugh or what?!?! Cracking captures there mate!

Thanks for the comments folks, glad you like them, to be honest I AM chuffed with them but I know I can do better once I get some decent light, and next time I will also be sitting a good bit closer and just concentrate on these two branches, it was a 2 hour wait for these this am and that was after spending about 5 hours in and around the same location yesterday.

Here's a full frame shot to show how severe a crop these shots are.

222029821-L.jpg

Mike.

they are stunning! :clap::clap:

Kingfisher shots seem to be the in thing around here!

Anyone know of anywhere I could go in essex to see any?

Some lovely shots there. (y)

You may not have got as close as you wanted but the colour of his stunning feathers really stand out and show just how much of a beauty this little bird really is.
Sadly, Ive never even seen one in the flesh ... or should I say the feathers!

Great set. I find the background a bit distracting on the ones with the twigs behind, but that's nature. The one of him flying towards you is a stunning capture. Hopefully on a brighter day you can get a bit quicker shutter speed - that has the potential to be out of this world.

Yes have to agree, very nice set of pics. 6 and 7 for me are my favs(y)

Those little birds definitely make for a stunning shot, great set. (y)

The last one really is a cracker without the extra branches in the others. Could you crop it to get him away from the center of the frame though?

great set like all of them(y)

Must admit to being really chuffed for him as he's spent a lot of hrs just sitting and hoping, the following photo is taken from where he was sitting I was at far end in hut.
As you can see how gloomy it was.

222081625-XL.jpg

Well done Mike (y), i bet you can't wait to get back there when the sun is shining.

Far from crap Mike - very well done indeed. I'm very partial to that last shot pictorially, but they're all excellent.

I'd be taking a a pair of secateurs to cut down on some of the landing options. ;)

Thanks guys, can't wait for some sun as you say Mitch, but not easy fitting photo sessions between golf, dad's taxi, babysitting oh and work ;)

Next time I head up Cedric I will be sat in a better position as he has now been seen twice out of my 3 visits on the same branch to feed, he uses the higher thinner one as a launch pad to dive in and I can sit in a position to see both of them about 20/25 feet away.

Mike.

Yep, great series and looking forward to some more. There's kingfishers at my local pond and I've seen them many times from as a little as a few feet away - of course I only spot them because they're flying away :(

Yep, great series and looking forward to some more. There's kingfishers at my local pond and I've seen them many times from as a little as a few feet away - of course I only spot them because they're flying away :(

Hi,

up until a few weeks ago I hadn't even seen one in the wild so it's a real pleasure for me to photograph one.

Mike.

outstanding shots well done.

:clap: :clap:

... very good (y)

Here here(y)(y) Or is it hear hear. Bloody good anyway.

By the way where were they taken?

Back