South-East England Kingfishers Hampshire

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this is the right spot...

I'm looking for a location to take some kingfisher images, ideally with someone that has had regular success to give me some pointers. I've tried a few locations and only ever managed fleeting glimpses, never a shot of any quality.

I have all the equipment i should need:
Lenses up to 500mm
Pop up hide
Patience :p

If anyone is willing to help it would be much appreciated, kingfishers seem to be my 'bogey animal' if you like... one of the only things i've repeatedly tried to find and photograph and never managed! I'd be more than happy to return the favour to anyone, i have some excellent photo opportunities in the Hampshire Area that i'd be willing to share (Snakes, Foxes, Hares etc).

Many thanks

Alex

You could try the goosander hide at blashford lakes. I usually give that a go after the sandmartins leave. As always it's a bit hit and miss if you see them

be aware that Kingsfisher are schedule 1 , so you need an NE licence for photograhy at or near the nest (with the exception of photography from public hides , where the bird is clearly not disturbed)

be aware that Kingsfisher are schedule 1 , so you need an NE licence for photograhy at or near the nest (with the exception of photography from public hides , where the bird is clearly not disturbed)

I was aware of this with relation to nest sites, although i do have a query that you might be able to help with?

Is there any issue then, in setting up a hide near a perch on a river (not that i have a location) as long as its not near a nest site (or to the best of your knowledge)?

Is there any issue then, in setting up a hide near a perch on a river (not that i have a location) as long as its not near a nest site (or to the best of your knowledge)?

None whatsoever.

I was aware of this with relation to nest sites, although i do have a query that you might be able to help with?

none whatsoever if it definitely isnt near a nest site - but if you do cause disturbance negligence (ie not knowing it was there to the best of your knowledge) isnt a defence - as the officence is to intetionally, recklessly or negligently disturb a schedule 1 bird at the nest

Back