Kit advice for video shooting with my 5D mark iii

Name
Ali
Edit My Images
No
Mostly stills shooter. Have a tiny NEX 3n as well and I like to shoot video on it. It has a lack of manual controls so can't really get much out of it really so I would like to see how I could use my 5D3 for video shooting.

As I am experimenting and I don't intend to use the 5D3 for video all the time, I need to keep my costs as low as possible.

A few questions I would really like some answers to.

1. Which all purpose lens should I get for my video? I only want to get one that works for a variety of situations. I will mostly shoot indoors or the odd picnic here or there. I would like to have a manual focus with a focus ring that actually stops at minimum or maximum focus and does not keep rotating. My 24-70 2.8 is not practical for videos, it is too heavy. Is there a lens out there to consider or am I just bonkers. I think a 28mm one should do well, your thoughts?

2. What sort of smallish rig should I consider? I would even consider a gunshot type handle that goes into the tripod mount. Using a shoulder rig may not be practical for in door use.

3. Handheld videos are really shaky, I have heard that an LCDVf will provide stability as well as help with focus, which one should I consider?

Hi teKno
If your hand held footage is shakey, maybe you should get yourself a small DSLR Fly cam or you could use your tripod since you want to do it cheap, but that isn't very professional... This video will show you how.....

Also for a follow focus on the cheap you could use a jar opener which will cost about £5... Heres a link to a video for this

24-70 is my go to lens for video. Though a 24-105 with IS would be nice, I can't justify having both. Not that the 24-70 is heavy by any means, but a bit of weight is a good thing for handholding, as it helps to stabilise the camera.

For run and gun stuff, just the camera and a loupe on the LCD can work pretty well. A basic stock would help take the weight off your arms for longer shoots though.

Having a focus ring that stops can be handy for marks, but there's no reason you can't do the same without it. Just be careful not to spin past each end, something you wouldn't want to be doing whilst shooting anyway.

Back