Kit for a Flight

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, there's just over a month to go now before I'm off one evening on a charter flight thing called 'In Search of the Aurora Borealis'. It's a 3 hour flight from Newcastle Airport, hopefully to photograph this phenomenon.

Kit wise I'm thinking me camera (not a lot of point forgetting that :wacky: ) and probably just the 17 - 85 IS USM.

Any other thoughts or recommendations, oh and would any filters be of any use :thinking:

If your shooting from the air, get hold a something that will support the camera. Planes tend to vibrate and drop ;)

A wise fast lens would be best I think. If the plane is vibrating anything you try to support the camera on will vibrate too!

Well I've got a 'nifty' and a bean bag I could use. Sounding good to me so far :)

They do if you put them on a vibrating surface.

Millions of little mexican jumping beans in a bag!

who is this trip with?

I've actually seen the Northern Lights while driving up near Dundee in Scotland; but of course I didn't have a camera with me! :shake: :bang:

I 've no idea how common it is to see it from Scotland???

I've actually seen the Northern Lights while driving up near Dundee in Scotland; but of course I didn't have a camera with me! :shake: :bang:

I 've no idea how common it is to see it from Scotland???

In the very north and also in the Hebrides it's not that uncommon at the right time of year, I believe.

In the very north and also in the Hebrides it's not that uncommon at the right time of year, I believe.

You don't have to go that far north - Just outside Carlisle we get them about 30 - 40 times per year. Never tried taking pics of them (yet).

This link http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/ tells you when they are due.

One of the best I saw was when I was working on Benbecula with a light mist and the sky danced through the mist - Fantastic.

saw the AB when i was in Finland, 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle ! boy was it cold ! ;) -37 degrees ! lol Didnt have my camera then only a Nikon Coolpix, so didnt even attempt to get pics !

Hope you manage to get soem though :)

saw the AB when i was in Finland, 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle ! boy was it cold ! ;) -37 degrees ! lol Didnt have my camera then only a Nikon Coolpix, so didnt even attempt to get pics !

Hope you manage to get soem though :)

Sorry am I missing something here, it was cold and you couldn't take any pictures with a 'coolpix' :D

BRAINS,
Thanks for the link, very interesting. Now how to I get the pilot to shove the hand brake on for 20 seconds :thinking:

Well, there's just over a month to go now before I'm off one evening on a charter flight thing called 'In Search of the Aurora Borealis'. It's a 3 hour flight from Newcastle Airport, hopefully to photograph this phenomenon.

Kit wise I'm thinking me camera (not a lot of point forgetting that :wacky: ) and probably just the 17 - 85 IS USM.

Any other thoughts or recommendations, oh and would any filters be of any use :thinking:

Not sure what else would be any use over and abouve what has already been discussed. Just make sure you bag a window seat.

I recall seeing a programme a few years back with Patrick Moore on it. He was a plane full of people wanting to photograph some event at night from the air. Loads of people were using flash and he was screaming at the top of his (very annoying voice) "Don't use flash". After 5 minutes of hearing this I would've thrown him out the plane.

Sound like you will have a lot of fun though - look forward to seeing the shots.

Back