Kit lens upgrade

Canon 17-55mm f2.8, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.

All might be worth looking at. There may be IS and non IS versions of the Tamron and Sigma lenses to choose from. When I had a Canon DSLR I went for the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non IS. It's quite compact and relatively cheap, I was happy with it :D I think that the Sigma is quite similar.

Canon 17-55mm f2.8, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.

All might be worth looking at. There may be IS and non IS versions of the Tamron and Sigma lenses to choose from. When I had a Canon DSLR I went for the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non IS. It's quite compact and relatively cheap, I was happy with it :D I think that the Sigma is quite similar.

Will any of these be suitable for nightclub photography?

Will any of these be suitable for nightclub photography?

f2.8 will give you a faster shutter speed or a lower ISO than your kit lens as your kit lens will probably be f3.5 at 18mm but f5.6 at 50mm so a constant f2.8 is an improvement especially at the longer end of the zoom range.

Depending upon the lighting or shutter speed and ISO you want to use you may want to consider an even wider aperture prime lens such as the Sigma 30mm f1.4 or Canon 28mm f1.8 or a 50mm f1.8.

As I said in another thread today, when I used to shoot a lot at gigs I used a Nikon SLR with an f4 lens and ISO 1600 film but these days people expect much better :D but if you are only printing small images or viewing on screen and if you are not hyper critical a 18-50mm f2.8 zoom might be a good choice and I'm pretty sure it'll be quite an improvement on your kit lens :D

Back