Beginner Kit Lenses - Are they worth it?

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
I've pretty much decided I'm going to buy a Nikon D5500 and most probably new from HDEW rather than risk fleabay or gumtree (I don't have access to the classifieds here yet). Am I better off buying a kit with the 18-55mm lens or just going body only and buying a better quality lens? I've seen comparisons that show the kit lenses aren't actually all that good in terms of either speed or sharpness. My thought would be to buy a second hand 35mm or 50mm prime initially and then a eventually 20mm f1.8 when I'm ready to have another go at astrophotography. The main area I'll be looking at initially is landscape and maybe a few family portraits.

Get the kit zoom. If nothing else, they're unbeatable value and pretty versatile. Something like a 50mm prime as an only lens will be very limiting, 35mm would be better on crop format.

For decent light shooting I think they're fine.

The problems come when you want to pixel peep shots taken wide open, go for razor thin depth of field or shoot in lower light.

Actually I think that some of the newer kit lenses particularly for mirrorless cameras can be very good wide open, I have a couple of Panasonic kit lenses that just a few years ago would have been considered outstanding... if they'd been Canon or Nikon DSLR lenses :D

My experience has been that the Nikon kit lenses are decent enough so I'd use that for now and see how you get on. A D5500 with 18-55 VR lens is only around £70 more so seems good value. You can also get this with the 18-140 VR lens which seems to get good reviews (not used it myself) but that costs a fair bit more.

^^^ Yep, I shot that lens and that lens alone for a couple of years on my D5100 and it was never less than a solid all rounder - sure it isn't as good as the Fuji 18-55, but then it isn't meant to be, but it is sharp through the middle of the range and very versatile.

In fact, all the photos I have on 500px have been taken with 18-55's, either the Nikon or latterly the Fuji

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, kit lens it is. Now I just have to get the nerve to hit the buy button.

In a word, yes! Even if it's just to find out which focal lengths you use most or to see if the kit/standard lens is short or long enough for your wants/needs. If I still shot Dx Nikon, I'd still have the 18-70 that came with my D70 but now I shoot either FF Nikon or Fuji APS-C, I usually use their "kit" lenses, although both the Nikon 24-120 f/4 and the Fuji 18-135 are far better than the name "kit" suggests! Kit/standard lenses bought as part of a kit are usually very good value and compared to body only + lens only often work out as half price or better.

Get the kit zoom. If nothing else, they're unbeatable value and pretty versatile. Something like a 50mm prime as an only lens will be very limiting, 35mm would be better on crop format.
Agree with this. Kit zoom will help you figure out what you really want.

Are you
a) changing from another system (or starting in DSLR photography) or,
b) upgrading from another Nikon body and already have lenses?

if a) yes go for the kit lens until you are able to find a 'better' lens
if b) rather than buy a new body put the money aside for a better lens

I was going to be moving from a Panasonic G3 to the Nikon but it now looks like I'll be sticking with what I've got for now. Thanks for all the advice though. When I do eventually change camera I'll have no worries about going with a kit lens.

The Nikon 18-70 which used to come as the kit lens with the D70 is quite good.

Steve.

I've recently sold my 18-70, along with the D70 it came with. The D70 has spent most of the last decade in the bottom of the wardrobe, but the 18-70 founds its way on to every D7xxx series camera I had.

I've recently sold my 18-70, along with the D70 it came with. The D70 has spent most of the last decade in the bottom of the wardrobe, but the 18-70 founds its way on to every D7xxx series camera I had.

I recently gave my D3200 (my only digital camera) to my daughter. It has the 18-70 which I bought for a D100 about ten years ago.

Steve.

I am looking at doing the same as the OP, so please keep this thread updated if you do bite the bullet!

I decided to stick with my current micro four thirds format and just upgraded my camera body. It does mean I'll still be using the Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens that originally came with the G3.

It will probably save you a few quid anyway, buying a whole new kit means you still end up buying all the extras along the line.

Back