Kit List

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
Yes
An idea I had while sorting an insurance list was to write down my current gear, so should anyone want opinions or advice on any of the below please give me a shout, I'll be more than happy to help where I can. I pressume one can edit our posts should the list change ?

Might be a crap idea, I dont get them often, so I try to make the most of them, lol

Canon 10D x2
Canon 50mm F1.8
Canon 17 - 40mm F4 L
Canon 28 - 105mm f3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 70 - 200mm F2.8
Canon 300 F4 L is
Canon Battery grip x2
Canon 550 Flash
Stofen Warm Flash filter
Portaflash 220 Slave flash x2
Portaflash Studio 336 Flash x2
White Brolly, and a gold one
Portaflash Softbox Small.
Portaflash Stands x4 plus backdrop stand.
Lowepro Mini trekker
Lowepro Magnum
Lowepro Off Trail 2
Lowepro neoprene Neck Strap
Canon Hand strap
6 x 512mb cards
Canon remote release
Manfrotto 055 tripod, black.
Manfrotto Trigger/joystick head
Gitzo Monopod
Loads of filters
Lowepro fold-up reflector
Chamois Leather
Bin Bags just in case of big weather.
Head torch
Silca gel packs
Cleaning kit inc blowers etc
Tiny toolkit

blimey you got some stuff!!! Credit card bill to match????

erm.................

u got no Nikon's listed ?

how can u call that a ' kit ' :wink:

only joking buddy, very impressive

MyPix ( Nikon owner 8) )

Hell yeah !

Only kidding, the money I make from the images pays for the kit, if I dont have the cash I dont get the toy.

As the old saying goes... "Owning an expensive camera, does'nt make you a photographer, it makes you an expensive camera owner" :LOL:

So all I am is a toy hoarder, he he he

me 2 with over 115 camera's 8)

MyPix :shock:

Do you sell many images Kris? Any hints and tips for those of us who aspire to that??

Not sure about any tips mate, This is all new to me too.

An advantage of mine, is that I live on a very small island where everything works from word of mouth, I've won a couple of local comps which has got the interest from a publisher or two, who make calendars. That brings in a couple of quid, but mostly I put together a folder of scenes of the IOM (On cheapo paper) and send it round offices where I know someone who works there, a tenner a time for an A4 print (on posh paper)

The website generates quite a bit of interest, but not so much sales .... although its far easier to show your work to people online rather than dragging a file around.

Motorsport Photography is where I get the most spondoolies, to start with, I supplied some rally images to the local papers who used them (big suprise, and huge ego boost) and at the next event I was asked to represent the paper and with a letter confirming this from the paper, I got a media pass/vest ... this in itself gave me the email, and often the addresses of the competitors to which I send small copyrighted proofs out. Now the trick I've found with motorsports, is not to forget the guys running at the back, the big togs stay for the first 10 or so, then disappear, no-one gets pics of the ones at the back, and they're the ones who pay for the prints. Occasionally there will be a calendar of motorsport events being made by someone, get the addresses of the pulishing company from the back of exsisting ones and write to them with proofs too.
Now I dont need the letter from the paper, being a small island the girls who issue the passes know me.

The kids portraits are easy enough, I will only charge for the images, and not for my time, I will go to a mom's house and just shoot away while the child is comfy in their own home, surrounded by their own toys. If I shoot 500 shots in one hour, at least 50 of them will come out ok (suitable to share) then I'll make a CD and charge per suitable shot. Prints of said images are a cost on top of the CD, not many people print themselves. This work I have found is strictly word of mouth.

I guess that the only thing you need to get sales is the same as any firm, and thats advertising, getting as many people to see your work as possible. Oh and never give your work away for free, once you do, people expect you'll do it for free everytime. And worse ... you may be doing a chap (who does this for a living) out of work!

I hope this is of some use, I dont know much as I'm in a time warp over here but there ya go, my story.

Blimey Kris - that's one helluva kit list, but looking at your portfolio I'd say it's all justified! You have some amazing pics in there! [smilie=t:

cheers for the insight Kris, most impressive....

After reading through your equipment list I was wondering if you find you have favourite pieces of equipment from withing your own collection that you tend to favour, or that your style of photography has either changed, or that you vary it more to make use of added equipment. I was wondering what style of photography you prefer and how much of the gear you take with you on shoots?

My list of gear is much less than yours but it has been chosen more to cover my specific needs and so I do not have to carry lots of stuff around. At times I miss certain equipment but in general I get by and feel I have not missed a shot due to wanting for a longer lens of wider field of view etc. I have a couple of Lowepro bags to hold all my equipment and generally take all my lenses etc with me on days out or holidays abroad, obviously with a list as extensive as yours, this simply isn't possible?

My favourite form of photography at the moment is motorsport, although I am lucky enough to have some great scenery over here, I often feel like once I've done it, I dont have a great desire to do it again ... I do of course try to better the previous shot but only if I have nothing else to do! lol

The Motorsport kit which is the most I carry at one time, includes the following:

Canon 10D (with Battery grip) with the Sigma 70 - 200mm F2.8 on.
Canon 10D (with Battery grip) with the Canon 300 F4 L or the Canon 17 - 40mm F4 L depending on the location.
Canon 50mm F1.8 ... Without doubt my fave lens
Canon 550 Flash
Lowepro Mini trekker ... easier to carry your gear on your back if you have to a bit of trekking.
6 x 512mb cards ... In pocket.
Chamois Leather ... In pocket.
Bin Bags just in case of big weather so you can throw the camera gear into, or to use as waders if need be.
Head torch
Silca gel packs ... in backpack.
Cleaning kit inc blowers etc

I am new to all areas of photography, and I imagine that as my experience grows, the kit I carry will become smaller.

He might have one now :)
(This was originally posted 3 years ago :D)

Holy thread resurrection Batman! :D

It's actually not a bad idea, but include all the serial no's of your gear. How many people would be stumped providing serial no''s if the lot got stolen? ;)

He might have one now :)
(This was originally posted 3 years ago :D)
Sorry I hadn't noticed that Marcel but the point I was trying to make was he has everything else, as a former photographic shop manager I had many customers like him who were amateurs , where as pros only laid out their hard earned cash for equipment they couldn't do without that would pay for itself because the idea was to build up their bank balance, not their muscles lugging it about.

Yeah I had the pleasure of tinkering with a lightmeter a few months ago, while out shooting with a fellow moderator, and it was actually better than my camera metering (as you would expect). Just nailed the exposure every time. I definitely think I should invest in one at some point.

currently waiting for delivery of the little sekonic at the mo(from HK) with guaranteed no tax.:woot: lets hope i can use it:thinking:

Back