Kitchen tap problem

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
We have had this mixer tap in our kitchen for around ten years. It has ceramic valves instead of washers. I replaced the hot valve a couple of years ago when it started to leak, but it was difficult to get the end cap off and I had to resort to " mild violence" with a very thin bladed screwdriver and hammer. They are supposed to unscrew, but the is no way to get a purchase because the chrome plating is so good. The cold tap valve now needs replacing and the end cap simply will not budge. Any useful suggestions please?

With ours I have been completely unable to budge the screws retaining the tap handle.

So the heads up re Plusgas might be worth a try for me?

Thanks @tijuana taxi :)

Its served me well over the years, some people use WD40 which isn't the same thing at all.
With taps etc another good product is Viakal, just as likely to be limescale as corrosion.

You can buy soft grip water pump pliers, maybe try Screwfix/B&Q or similar for abouit £10, which will do the trick.
A squirt of WD40 (or white vinegar for scale) a few hours before unscrewing should release the threads.

Thanks for all the replies. I have totally soaked it with Kilrock limescale solution, that didn't help. Those rubber grips look as though they might work. The end caps are only 2mm width and are flush with the tap body, although I may have accidently added some "texture" with my attempts at removing it.

Are you sure you are turning it the right way? :D
On a more serious note, sometimes tightening first actually loosens it.
An old trick shown to me when I first took doors off their hinges by an old joiner about 40 yearts ago.

Looking at the installation instructions, I think that the lever on the tap unscrews, revealing a grub screw which is loosened to remove the tap "top" allowing access to the gubbins you're trying to get at.

Looking at the installation instructions, I think that the lever on the tap unscrews, revealing a grub screw which is loosened to remove the tap "top" allowing access to the gubbins you're trying to get at.
It shows the end coming off in the installation instructions :)

Hmmm... It does. Not the first time written and pictorial instructions disagree!!! Looking at our bathroom taps, the end caps just pop off with a thin blade under the edge - no screwing of the cap. Once the cap is removed, there's a small machine screw holding the tap "top" on. Our kitchen tap (similar to but not identical to the OP's) has a small grub screw opposite the lever/handle.
Might be time to give the helpline a call.

Not sure of the diameter of the end cap but can you get a filter wrench to fit it?
If not try wrapping a long cable tie around it.

Not sure of the diameter of the end cap but can you get a filter wrench to fit it?
If not try wrapping a long cable tie around it.

Oilfilter wrench didn't work, but I will give the cable tie a go - cheers.

Maybe a spudger tool might shift it.

Back