Kite in a tree

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
How do all, it's not often I come across this bird just sat in a tree, I usually see them in flight and usually fail miserably in capturing them :D but I saw this one as I was walking the river bank and just fired a few shots in the hope that the camera settings I was using before would catch it before it flew off

Handheld 5dmk3~ef500+1.4tc~1/1250~f6.3~700mm~iso1000~focal distance 70.8meters.

original.jpg

That's a great shot, like the way it is looking over its shoulder at you, nice detail and colour in the feathers.

Really nice shot there Martin, in a busy but natural setting (y)

Handheld 5dmk3~ef500+1.4tc~1/1250~f6.3~700mm~iso1000~focal distance 70.8meters.

:eek: blimey how do hand hold that lens :D
That is a lovely shot, natural surroundings good composition and sharp (y)

is it cropped much

Thanks for your time and comments one and all, much appreciated, glad you like :)

:eek: blimey how do hand hold that lens :D
That is a lovely shot, natural surroundings good composition and sharp (y)

is it cropped much

Hi, after a few months now of heavy use and allot of practice it's not too bad in the hand. I certainly can't hold it for like ,,,10 minutes in the 'take a shot position' but can certainly go 5 mins aiming the setup by resting my elbows on my medium size beer belly :D

The first few weeks of owning and using it my arms proper ached and some months later I hardly feel it now.

The image is cropped but I'm not sure how to tell by how much really, I think it's about 50%.

That really is lovely, love the composition and sharpness(y)

Thats a nice shot Martin ... but surprised no one has brought it up that your White Balance is out by a fair bit and as a result the image has a green cast ... a simple adjustment in photoshop will cure it (y)

Hi Ceri, thanks for looking and your thoughts )

Hi Marco cheers for your input, appreciate it )
I can't really see a green cast to be honest, I'm not saying its not there, just, I can't see it, perhaps it my monitor not showing it, not sure.

Anyone else's see green? Thanks )

Hi Ceri, thanks for looking and your thoughts )

Hi Marco cheers for your input, appreciate it )
I can't really see a green cast to be honest, I'm not saying its not there, just, I can't see it, perhaps it my monitor not showing it, not sure.

Anyone else's see green? Thanks )

Hi Martin ... maybe this will help you to see the green cast ...

The first is your image ...

And the image below shows the bottom half is your image with a green cast and the top half is the corrected white balance ... hope that helps mate (y)

original.jpg

i-LDWpMsV-X3.jpg

Hi Marco,

Your corrected white balance seems to be have blue cast on it... :)

R

Its the white balance as corrected to best of the image thats been presented by Martin Robin so dont be facetious ... I'm trying to help out a fellow photographer :shrug:

First off...Brilliant capture and great technique with the big kit.....

Trying to de-fuse the WB situation....I thought robinsslee was trying to be helpful - maybe it did not come across as that.
The original did not look far out to me ...but is that what counts...if it look O.K. then its O.K.
Anyway I think this look O.K> to me....only altered in P/shop colour balance.

keith (y)

Hi Marco,

Not trying to indicate anything negative just stating what I saw on my work screen :cool:

R

Its ok mate :) ... I was only trying to help the OP by letting him know that there was a definite green cast on the image that can easily be removed and was not trying to warm up or cool down the image as all monitors display slightly different looking warmer or cooler images but when you have a colour cast it shows up on most monitors and more so on a calibrated one.

Sorry Martin for causing a debit on your post fella ... but I really like your shot and thought you needed to know rather than me just say nothing!

Thanks all for your thoughts and comments, much appreciated!
I'm at work at the moment and currently covered in sh,,, dirt )
I'm viewing on mobile right now and am having probs seeing the pictures, will respond further when I get home and am sat in front of big screen.

No need to apologise Marco, I'm all in for others thoughts and debate! Really appreciate all your thoughts and help! )

Home sweet home,,, I'm back and infront of a big screen :D

I have had a good look at the pictures and to be totally honest, the original picture I posted looks, dare I say it the best version (for me) My first picture, in my eyes is kinda what I saw on the day.

My next line of thought is the edited version showing 'wrong white balance' and 'correct white balance'. I would certainly agree with Robin that the edited 'correct white balance' looks blue. On my screen this looks totally wrong :shrug:
It's certainly not what I saw and the next edit looks alot closer although to me, it has a smidge of blue in there.

I really appreciate all the help and pointers Marco and Keith, most helpful (y) I'm a bit lost in what to say now :LOL: I'm certainly not saying anyone is right or wrong but I'm certainly wondering how colour rendition on different screens differs from eachother?

Would be interested to see this on a so called calibrated setup.

Stunning shot Martin :) 100% agree "the original picture I posted looks, dare I say it the best version (for me)" must Tweet it! I'm @Placepot

White balance does look out on your original image on my calibrated screen Martin,i have had issues prior to a calibrated screen with my WB and I believe in my opinion that Marco as got it right on this occasion(y)

Thanks Placepot, cheers Steve, thanks for looking and your thoughts :)

Hi Dennis, thanks for your input with screen calibration (y) much appreciated!
Think I will have to look into this over the next couple of days, see what a calibrated screen looks like.

Anyone got any tips for me on where to start?

Hi, I use Spyder 3 pro,well worth it ,even to the point I wanted to re-edit all my previous images,it takes seconds to set up and the difference really surprised me.

Back