Knockhill Racing Circuit

Name
Caz
Edit My Images
Yes
Disclaimer: I know nothing about racing etc :p

We're going down to Clackmannanshire in August and I'm looking for something different to try shooting, so thought this might be a good choice - eep.

Its the final round of the Knockhill Motor Sports Club bike racing series on the day we're down, so...

1. Anyone been there and will we be able to get decent pictures?
2. Are there any photography restrictions, ie. size of lens?

Any tips etc for shots? I'll also need to check OH doesn't mind going :D

Knockhill is quite good, in that many parts of the circuit still have low fencing, so you can shoot unrestricted. The hairpin is quite good at race events, as that's where most of the overtaking takes place, and there's a small grandstand to hide under if it rains. You are less than 20 feet from the edge of the track at this point.

You can use as big a lens as you can carry, though you'll find something like a 70-200 is about perfect for the hairpin area. It takes about 20 - 25 minutes to walk around the outisde of the circuit, so if you'll be there all day, move around and get some different shots.

Have a look in the Motorsports section of this forum, and you'll find some great examples of shots from bike racing events that will give you a good idea of the types of shots that are possible.

John

Thanks John.
Lots of useful info there. How observant am I, that I hadn't noticed a motorsports section?
My OH managed to break my 28-135 lens last weekend, so I'll probably have my 85mm and I'll let him have the 70-200 to play with.

Not been for a few years but will be at the BTCC in August with my gear.
Once thing to note is prepare for rain! I've been 8-9 years and it was dry once!

Good circuit for shots though, as John says there are many parts with lower fencing than some circuits, hairpin is good as is the first sequence of corners, always some action there!

Disclaimer: I know nothing about racing etc :p

We're going down to Clackmannanshire in August and I'm looking for something different to try shooting, so thought this might be a good choice - eep.

Its the final round of the Knockhill Motor Sports Club bike racing series on the day we're down, so...

1. Anyone been there and will we be able to get decent pictures?
2. Are there any photography restrictions, ie. size of lens?

Any tips etc for shots? I'll also need to check OH doesn't mind going :D

I doubt the championship will in end in August?

Anyway, no restriction on lens size.

Plenty of places around the hairpin and Carlube.

Some holes in fecing after Duffus too.

Have a wee search on Knockhill in the motorsports section.

Not been for a few years but will be at the BTCC in August with my gear.
Once thing to note is prepare for rain! I've been 8-9 years and it was dry once!

Good circuit for shots though, as John says there are many parts with lower fencing than some circuits, hairpin is good as is the first sequence of corners, always some action there!

Never mind rain...prepare for everything...!!

It's a good circuit though, and you can get to the inside as well, which with a 200 will give you some interesting shots.

Enjoy..!!

ChrisM_Scotland said:
Will def prepare for rain. I had to google to see what a hairpin corner is :p I did say I've no idea what I'm on about.
I'd forgotten but was at Knockhill with my digital camera at start of this year for one of the courses they do. I was more interested in the drifting than OH driving (whoops).

Mikesphotaes said:
"The final round of the Knockhill Motor Sports Club bike racing series" is from Knockhill website? It's 2nd September we'll be there. Thanks for the advice and info. You had me confused (not difficult) when you mentioned Duffus - I thought you were telling me its a new out of the way course in the middle of the sticks up here, and then realised you meant a corner.

Bobby_G said:
Gotcha - We're making a weekend of it so will have everything possibly required. I'm sure we will enjoy.

Off to search for others images now. Thanks everyone and I'm not usually as blonde as this thread makes me seem :)

Just ordered my tickets for the Knockhill BTCC in August, not been for a few years now and I usually just go for Sunday but for the extra £7 I bought a weekend ticket, only live 30 mins away so might nip up on the Saturday as well, I take it Saturday is likely to be quieter>

chrism_scotland said:
Just ordered my tickets for the Knockhill BTCC in August, not been for a few years now and I usually just go for Sunday but for the extra £7 I bought a weekend ticket, only live 30 mins away so might nip up on the Saturday as well, I take it Saturday is likely to be quieter>

We used to go along on the Friday too, before the rebuild it was fairly easy to gain access to the pits and get some great candid shots of the drivers.

For anyone going, bear in mind it is very, very busy with many people camping over or turning up at the crack of dawn to place seats along all the decent vantage points.

The weather at Knockhill can be "interesting" too, it's not uncommon for one side of the circuit to be basking in sunshine whilst round the other it will be pouring with rain!

Getting out of the carpark afterwards is a nightmare (especially if it rains as the fields they use for car parking turn into a quagmire) unless you leave before or early on in the final BTCC race you're looking at an hour plus to get as far as the road and once there you'll find marked and unmarked traffic cars hidden round every corner, so don't be tempted to have a wee blast round the twisty roads in the way there or back ;)

Old thread I know but got a Knockhill specific query!
Looking to pickup a lens to use this coming weekend but one that I'm going to keep and use for aviation as well but wondering what focal length I would get away with on a 1.5 crop body....

I use a 70 - 200 on my 7D at Knockhill, in fact that's what I'll be using at the BTCC on sunday (y)

How easy is it to get pit type shots and behind the scenes shots at Knockhill? Does it vary by event?

I normally use a 70-200 with a 1.4 extender for most Knockhill.

You will get away without an extender at the hairpin section.

At Carlube and bottom of Duffus Dip I use a 400 mm.

How easy is it to get pit type shots and behind the scenes shots at Knockhill? Does it vary by event?

Easy mostly but don't know if any changes at Touring Cars this year.

Thanks. I take it you can't actually get into those areas without a pass or whatever but you can shoot from the outside?

If it's the same as previous years it's an open paddock. You can wander past the pit tents & snap to your hearts content (good elbows required, it gets busy...)

Mikesphotaes said:
Aye, right enough about the pits, Graham:)

It's pointless now anyway, previously the pits were open-air (I've got some great driver shots from previous years), but now they have proper pit garages the photo ops are much reduced...

A couple (?) of years ago.

Could have sworn Shedden was in a tent last year :thinking:

I've never bothered with doing shots of the grid / garages at Knockhill so could just be a senior moment :help:

Which reminds me........must put media pass with camera this year and not leave it in the car park :bonk:

Back