Knowhow cloud backup speed

Edit My Images
Yes
hi is a backup transfer speed of 700 KB/s (upload to the cloud) slow ?
This is uploading data from an external drive connected to my retina MacBook pro with USB via wifi at home
When I bought my MacBook pro from Currys/PC world I also signed up to the knowhow cloud backup service
Didn't actually need it as I already have carbonite which is excellent but it was cheap at £50 for five years and my carbonite only covers my main desktop PC not the macbook
I got talked into it to be honest but it seemed a good idea as it also backs up mobile devices (iPad and phone)
It's just that the initial upload is taking a very long time, the carbonite initial backup seemed to upload data faster but I can't rememeber the actual transfer speed
I think that I may as well give up on the knowhow cloud and upgrade my carbonite subscription to cover my laptop but just wondered if the upload speed of 700 KB/s is slow or normal for a home wifi setup

Last edited:
Broadband upload speed are normally a lot slower than the download speed. 700kb\s is a little bit speedier than the average 512kb\s upload speed.

Thanks redsnapper and Neil
at least I know that I'm getting a reasonable upload speed :)

With normal broadband on a good line I got around 900Kb/s. Fibre made all the difference nearly 19Mb/sec

I have 100mbps down and 6mbps up. A little difference. Virgin keep saying they will be increasing upload speeds but I've been waiting 3 years so far

Are you on fibre (e.g. Infinity), cable or "normal" ADSL? 700kbits/sec up isn't bad on ADSL, but is terrible on Infinity and cable. Yes, I had all sorts of trouble getting my (17Mbit/s) fibre connection saturated. I found the biggest issue was where the server was hosted. If it was UK based, I got reasonable upload, US based and it was pants. Only one of the half dozen or so providers was able to saturate my upload, so I went with them. That was close to 2 years ago now. Things may have changed since then though.

Thanks Hugh john and peter yes it sounds like my upload is about average
I wasn't sure about the unit's and if mine was worse than average

Are you on fibre (e.g. Infinity), cable or "normal" ADSL? 700kbits/sec up isn't bad on ADSL, but is terrible on Infinity and cable. Yes, I had all sorts of trouble getting my (17Mbit/s) fibre connection saturated. I found the biggest issue was where the server was hosted. If it was UK based, I got reasonable upload, US based and it was pants. Only one of the half dozen or so providers was able to saturate my upload, so I went with them. That was close to 2 years ago now. Things may have changed since then though.

Thanks andy yes Im on BT infinity
Am not sure where the server is based for the pc world knowhow cloud
my main backup is with carbonite a US company
if I ever changed company as you have found I would try to find a uk based one
it took ages for the initial 300Gb carbonite upload

I'm on infinity and get 18+Mb upload. sounds very slow to me. Might be worth running a Broadband speed checker. U switch has a good one

I'm on infinity and get 18+Mb upload. sounds very slow to me. Might be worth running a Broadband speed checker. U switch has a good one

Thanks John will do that, good idea
ive just realised something though the files are on a usb 3 external hard drive attached to my macbook that may wellbe the problem

You might want to do a test and see if there is any difference in speed, if you have the files on your hard drive. Another test would be to open a free account with DropBox and upload the test files there. I use DropBox to publish files to clients and the speed is extremely fast. See if dropBox accepts files faster than the other routes. If so then it's possibly the service that's slow not your internet connection

Thanks John will do
i do have a Dropbox account so will try that
Actually I seem to remember that the upload speed with the drive disconnected wasaabout the same but not sure will check

Thanks John will do
i do have a Dropbox account so will try that
Actually I seem to remember that the upload speed with the drive disconnected wasaabout the same but not sure will check

Back