kodachrome destroyed

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
I recently find 2 rolls of process-paid kodachrome. I thought a wedding would be a good time to use them (outdoor shots) as the groom would appreciate it, being a photography enthusiast in his youth. Anyway I come home today, put my stuff on the table, go out for a while, come back and collect my stuff and sht my pants to see the back of my camera open with the 2nd role of kodachrome still inside.

VsOdD.jpg

I'm not sure how it happened. No one has confessed to it, and the latch is broken too. I'm just trying not to freak out.. what a waste

What's the DX for? Does film now come in a crop factor too?! :p

There would be slapped bottoms if I came home to see this! Hope you didn't lose anything vital mate

You can't get it processed any more anyway can you?

You can't get it processed any more anyway can you?

I'm not absolutely certain as I haven't shot slides for many years, but I think you can still get it processed by Kodak up until the end of 2010. Perhaps someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

Think there is only one place left in the US that process it

At a guess someone was trying to get the memory card out :confused:

That's interesting as my wife went to a party with a P&S film camera and she found her camera with the back open, only three frames were lost though.

Is that an Elan or a 50? Broken catch, classic problem, looks like you can even still see the broken bit in the hole there.

Can get the stuff developed for 2010 only, pity on this roll - hope the other one's OK

Arthur

Yes I'm so gutted, it's the 50e (think the same as the Elan II). Is it a common problem? Shame; I liked this camera. Guess I'll have to make do with my crappy old vivitar film camera for a while :puke:

Fortunately only the car/departure shots and a few group shots were on this roll.

You can still get kodachrome processed. I will send off the other roll tomorrow to Switzerland then I think it gets sent to Dwights in America for processing.

Happened to me - look here - but at least I got the film out first.

While I think K64 used to be the 'go-to' film of choice for critical jobs, I no longer think that's the case - even if Digital cameras weren't available, I still wouldn't be using K64 on a Wedding; Fuji Pro neg film, yes...Kodachrome...nerrr...

And to your other drama - it does look like there's a broken bit in the camera-latch recess...

Arthur, what a shame. Think I'm gonna buy a Nikon next.. anyone got an F3?

Arkady.. I had some Kodak 400vc, some B+W and another other film body and I was there just to capture some moments, not as the official photographer; my other uncle is a professional photographer so he had that job.

Kodachrome is still being processed by Dwaynes up until the 31st of December this year.

If you have a process paid mailer, then you send it to the former Kodachrome Kodak lab in Switzerland, who send all the films they recieve as one package by the Kodak internal mail system at the end of each week, to Dwaynes. After its processed its sent back to you.

If you don't have a mailer though, I think you have to send it directly to Dwaynes in Kansas.

Unfortunately they may do a colour version for the K-14 process (yours would have been the older K-11 or K-12 hence the B&W) but apparently thats stopping shortly as well as the dyes themselves are being discontinued. According to 'process-c22' the K-14 ones can be done in a similar way though:

"We can accept K-14 Kodachrome films, such as
Kodachrome 25, 64, 200 and K40 in 35mm and 8mm cine formats.
These can be colour-processed, but only in the USA, as the last
Kodachrome laboratory in Europe closed in September 2006.
We can either refer you to the right place, or handle these for you, if you
prefer not to have the trouble of shipping your film halfway across the world.
Kodachrome can only be handled in this way until the end of November 2010
After this date, K-14 is black/white only. Although experiments are being planned...!"

It'll be interesting if someone is able to design and make dyes that can process Kodachrome properly in colour. It would be even more interesting if another company was able to make a kodachrome substitute using a similar process, perhaps someone like Efke might be interested as most of their films are classic old ADOX emulsions.

I think it's unlikely as dye-additive process is bloody expensive and difficult, hence no amateur applications existed throughout it's production.
Kodak had been looking to off-load Kodachrome since the 1950's, but due to customer demand, kept it running.
Now that it's no longer cost-effective and Kodak has no other large-scale sales to subsidise it's production, all K-series dyes will be discontinued.

One of the reasons Kodak Engineers were 'embedded' with the US 3rd Army after D-Day was to gain the secrets held at Agfa's Leverkusen factory, which were later used to develop Ectachrome...all of Agfa's patents were seized as War reparations.
One of the Agfa plants located in what became East Germany was renamed ORWO, so all sunsequent Orwo film was based on pre-war Agfachrome films (and like many other German companies separated by the Wall, they maintained contact with one another).

In short, it's dead...no-one's going to produce it again as it's a pain to deal with and simply not profitable in any sense...

Back