Kodak is selling it's film business

been on the cards for years we used to use them and were a very big customer, but have had to develop other methods since finding out their intentions two years ago.

From what they've said previously and what their rep on Apug is saying, their selling the film division brand rights, products etc for 'personalised imaging' (which includes all still film, but their retaining motion film and other 'professional' applications [by professional they don't mean 'professional film' BTW]) but their still going to manufacture the film etc on a long term basis at Rochester, USA for the pension plan company who has brought the rights.

This doesn't neccessary mean it will be a bad thing as relatively few places in the world can coat films in the manner of Kodak's facilities so its unlikely that the pension plan company will be able to just switch over to using a cheaper supplier, the agreement is 'long term' according to the Kodak rep on Apug but she doesn't know quite how long term. All in all this could actually be good for the film side of things as it'll be a company which pretty much purely concentrates on film so it can't just be used as a place to cut back to save money and a similar 'breakup' in Kodak Medical a few years ago seems to have worked out fairly well. We'll just have to see what happens.

Whatever the case, the Kodak B&W films are still some of the best value and quality films on the market, and their colour negative films have an enviable reputation. You can still buy a roll of ISO400 B&W Kodak film for less than £4, which is fantastic.

Whatever the case, the Kodak B&W films are still some of the best value and quality films on the market, and their colour negative films have an enviable reputation. You can still buy a roll of ISO400 B&W Kodak film for less than £4, which is fantastic.

Pretty much the only 'major name' film that you can still get under £4! I still find it funny how Calumet sell T-Max for £3.49 (or something close to that) yet Tri-X is £4.50 despite being that much older and probably better selling based on what people say they like to use. Well I like both so I tend to get some of each in every time.

Pretty much the only 'major name' film that you can still get under £4! I still find it funny how Calumet sell T-Max for £3.49 (or something close to that) yet Tri-X is £4.50 despite being that much older and probably better selling based on what people say they like to use. Well I like both so I tend to get some of each in every time.

Indeed, I'm a massive fan of T-Max but Tri-X used to be roughly the same price. Tri-X has certainly crept up in price.

I hope Kodak films continue to be produced.

Tri-X / Tmax and now Portra 400 are amongst my favourites, especially when you consider the low cost!

Back