Kodak's Last Breath

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
As the company fight for it's survival. I thought I'd turn it into a themed photography project using an action man and a £2 Box Brownie I happen to have on me.

Kodak.jpg

While I have been very prolific with my photography (as well as my cartoon drawing for those who knows me), it has been a while since I last posted anything I thought was worth showing and I thought this might be something different (and topical as well!).

I used my D3100 with it's aperture set to the mid teens F's along with a 20 seconds exposure, and the subjects were lightpainted using a LED torch in a darkened room. All I've done to the photo was to crop it slightly, greyscaled it and gave it a bit of vignetting - then a final resize and sharpen for show on the internet . . . and that's it. I quite like the way it came out and hope you do.

like it. but will it be printable? I mean noise level?

Hi Andres, and cheers! I'm not sure really. Although, actually I can't see any "noise" (if anything I'm very pleased with the quality!), although I wonder if the "noise texture" you can see near the action man's feet is actually the fluffy bits on a pyjamas jumper top (which was spread out on a table and pinned to a wall behind - it was the only dark material I had to hand). :D :naughty:

Last edited:
i think its great really like it.one minor thing and its very minor the two lines on the material under the camera wheel clone them so its smooth and not draw the eye to it etc.easy fix in photoshop . good work (y)

i think its great really like it.one minor thing and its very minor the two lines on the material under the camera wheel clone them so its smooth and not draw the eye to it etc.easy fix in photoshop . good work (y)

Cheers and glad you like it, and well spotted on that one! I was hoping I'd get away with that (that was a fold in the jumper, couldn't be bothered to get the ironing board out). Noted and kept in mind for when I do this kind of photography again next time. :)

Last edited:
Great image Ian and I love the concept (y)

But it worries me slightly, that you just happened to have an action man "on you" :D

Great image Ian and I love the concept (y)

But it worries me slightly, that you just happened to have an action man "on you" :D

Hi Cobra! Awww, I couldn't bear to lay my Action Man to rest (he's called Frank), he had sat on a shelf ever since I had him as a teenager. I've got some new clothes for him recently thanks to a friend's young son. :love: :cautious: :D

Very nice (y) but I'm with Chris on the concern front, though having said that the last time my young nephews were over from Ireland I spend more than an hour playing with classic lego block building a garage to park a toy car, that wouldn't be quite so bad until you learn that my sister had taken the kids out for the day hours earlier :LOL: :coat:

Matt
MWHCVT

Very nice (y) but I'm with Chris on the concern front, though having said that the last time my young nephews were over from Ireland I spend more than an hour playing with classic lego block building a garage to park a toy car, that wouldn't be quite so bad until you learn that my sister had taken the kids out for the day hours earlier :LOL: :coat:

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi Matt and glad you like the photo! Oooh, I do believe there will always still be the kid in the adult no matter how old we get.
Mind you, my excuse is that I'm doing this as a still life project, whereas in actual fact I still like to play with toys. :cautious: :help: :LOL:
Actually, now you have come to mention it, plans are afoot in me returning back to an early passion in my life . . . model railway building. I do have the cash to actually make a decent go of it, but the real lack of space is the main issue at the moment.

Back