Kreuzberg's 365: New Year, new camera

Edit My Images
Yes
It's a New Year and I got a new camera for Christmas (Canon S90) so I though I'd try and do a 365.

Its the first time I've shot with digital properly as since I got interested in photography I've been using my selection of film cameras. I plan to do most of the 365 as digital but I might throw in the odd film image as I get them developed. I'm going to try to upload everyday although I have picked a bad time to start this project as I have 3 exams next week and I'll be studying flat out til then.

So anyway this is my first pic, I just took it to test out the macro function and to also see what kind out bokeh it can put out, I don't think it turned out too badly!

Last edited:
ohh.. I like that.. have tried, and failed to get that bokeh effect with my camera!

good luck with the 365 :)

nice start...looking forward to your year in pictures.

how ya planning on getting the film shots in?

I'm not sure how - I need to shoot dev print and scan print in 1 day while stealing a mates scanner - around uni not sure how many I'll get in :D

how ya planning on getting the film shots in?

I'm not sure how - I need to shoot dev print and scan print in 1 day while stealing a mates scanner - around uni not sure how many I'll get in :D

Yeah thats what i was thinking, might have to just let somewhere like Snappy Snaps do it, although it limits me to 35mm and costs a fortune.

Heres todays:

Took this shot when I went for a walk just before sunset, wish the cars weren't there but you cant have everything.

Revision didn't go to well today. I'm back on campus so I went to the library but its shut until Monday and theres just too many distractions in my flat and I've just realised how much I still Have to do. Looks like it could be a long night....

Not too happy with it, didn't notice the composition was off til I got back to my flat so I'll have to do :LOL:

Last edited:
4234235533_e0cf2a9996.jpg
[/url]

oh wow i love the crimbo tree in the back ground nice pic mate

Thanks!

Didn't get out of my flat at all today do I tried to come up with something interesting to shoot.

I decided to try taking a photo of myself watching the sun set out of my window. Never actually taken a picture of myself before, guess theres always a first time for everything.

3/365

On another note, I was rummaging though a drawer and found a few packs of instant film that I bought for a polaroid back that never arrived (long story, mainly involving an ebay scammer! lol). Holpefully I can find another one, be perfect for a 365.

Last edited:
Some nice photos there, I especially like the first one.

I also have a Polaroid camera which would have been great to use for a project like this if film was still available and at a sensible price. I just have one pack of 10 left (which expired in November) from picking up a couple at the start of last year when I heard they were to be discontinued.

I'm hoping to pick up a cheap 35mm SLR to experiment with film a bit, since it seems to be a bit cheaper than Polaroid (although still expensive in the few places that deal with processing!)

i like 3, its a nice idea...

Some nice photos there, I especially like the first one.

I also have a Polaroid camera which would have been great to use for a project like this if film was still available and at a sensible price. I just have one pack of 10 left (which expired in November) from picking up a couple at the start of last year when I heard they were to be discontinued.

I'm hoping to pick up a cheap 35mm SLR to experiment with film a bit, since it seems to be a bit cheaper than Polaroid (although still expensive in the few places that deal with processing!)

I don't think instant film is all that badly priced, I got some Fuji film off ebay for about £5 a box. Thats 50p a frame so when you compare what it cost to buy and develop 120 film it actually works out cheaper. Its alot quicker too! ;)

i like 3, its a nice idea...

...but poorly executed? :LOL:

Today was a bit of a bust photo-wise. Ended up spending all my time in my flat and in the library so I just ending up taking a photo of the change lying on my desk.

C&C not required, I know its crap lol

4/365

Prizes for guessing how much there is :LOL:

Last edited:
I don't think it's that bad... got IMO good DOF to it, and is nicely composed!

keep them up :) x

Not bad, but I would have personally left it in colour, and maybe boost the saturation a bit to make the image pop. But it's a good subject choice anyway which works well, and I suppose when you are stuck for a photo, you start searching around your room for something to shoot!

I kind of had to convert to B&W to get a bit of contrast because the lighting in my room is really bad and it made the picture look flat.

Thats exactly what i did wicker_man, try and find something interesting from all the junk on my desk! :LOL:

dont knock it. 4 is perfectly ok. 5 is great. i think that the point of a 365 (for me anyway) is not only to learn more about technique but to get into the habit of taking pictures...on some days this means we will need look at really mundane stuff and try to turn it into something worth looking at. keep it up!

I think I'm just gonna have togging saturdays or nights when I am free and do it then, that or get a scanner :D

I feel your pain re stuff to shoot :confused: flicking through other people's for ideas :D

I think its also that I usually shoot landscapes and scenery but as I'm stuck inside most of the day revising I have to shoot macro stuff which I've never ever attempted before. Supose thats a good thing though, get me out of my comfort zone.

Well the exam went ok today I think, think I've done enough to pass. Wish I could feel the same about tomorrows.

We had quite a bit of snow today so I went for a nice long walk and took a few cameras with me. This is a small stream that winds its way around campus, round the back of my flat and out into the wild yonder. I've no idea were it goes but one day I'd like to find out.

6/365

excellent shot...would look good in b&w ;)

Thanks for the advise Ian, decided to do this snow pic in B&W :D

I look this picture today as it was the focus for my rage today. I finished my exam today and when to the library to revise only to find it was closed because of the weather, yet both pubs on campus have no problems staying open.

On the upside, last exam tomorrow so I think I'll take a day off after before I start on coursework.

7/365

good luck with exam.. loving the photos so far.. 5 is superb! the last one would fit the 'curved' 52 theme well ;)

Cheers mich66, hopefully I'll hear soon if I failed or not.

Todays image is more about the processing than the image itself. I found a tutorial online about adding film-like grain to a photograph and I thought Id give it a go. To be honest I don't like, the sky seems too speckly, but I thought Id put it up anyway to see what other people think and if they can offer any better techniques.

I basically created a new layer in Photoshop that was 50% gray and overlayed the original image with it. Then I added noise and blurred the noise with a gausian filter and set the overlay at 30% opacity.

Oh and if your wondering what the image is, its where I live.

8/365

Todays picture is of my dinner tonight. It's my favourite meal in the world and I've never tried to shoot food before so I thought I'd give it a go.

Wasn't really sure what to do so I just played it safe by using rule of thirds to pick my focal point and messed about with the white balance until the colours looked right.

9/365

i have got to say i like day 8...not sure about adding grain in ps, there must be a simple way to do it, i tend to set the film speed really high to get a noisy image and convert to b&w later...

oh, btw, i liked day 7 as well...

Last edited:
There was a really cool sunset yesterday so I decided to go for a walk and take a few pictures. I think this was the best one, I just really liked all the hundreds of tiny little branches on the trees.

10/365

I didn't plan on taking this shot today, I was going to try another food shot with a pizza but i accidentally overcooked it and it wasn't that photogenic (still tasted good though!).

Its a bit abstract, can you guess what it is?

11/365

Back