KTM X-Bow

Edit My Images
Yes
Some pictures of a friend's KTM X-Bow which I did at the end of last year.

Clicking on a pic will take you to a page will the big versions:

DAMN that looks quick! nice shots! 1, 2 and 5 are my favorites by far!!

Is it just me or is the front wheel in #5 not actually moving with the rest of the car?

Nice Moody set, great 'car' too

Nice pics, The KTM is a very photogenic car!

One of mine from Goodwood in 2008 below

P7111187editMedium.jpg

Is it just me or is the front wheel in #5 not actually moving with the rest of the car?
It's you ... kinda ;)

To get this shot I used a combination of strobing the flash and a long exposure which is why the spokes may look more static than normal tracking shots.

Not by choice, but because it was backlit there was waaaay too much shadow.
Pretty difficult to balance it.

Would have been so much easier if I had an assistant holding a huuuge reflector, but you make do with what you have :)

And a bugger to put my rig on it.
The panels are so flimsy and there's almost no flat surface big enough for my suction cups.

Challenging, but by no means impossible...
You can see my KTM shots I did a while back here:
http://gfwilliams.net/portfolio/KTM/

The shots you've done are very 'meh'. Technically they're not bad, but there's nothing that makes them stand out. The problem with shooting at night is that a lot of the time people worry about the lighting etc and forget about the background and composition which means you end up with a boring image. I think you've suffered a bit with this...

The shots of the car I love, had a snoop on your website for a bit. Theres a lot of work and info on there i'm absorbing, I really like yout style.

Rich

Challenging, but by no means impossible..
Do you use suction cups or underbody rigs (or both)?

The only bit I found I could use properly was the rear carbon spoiler.
I did get a tracking shot of the front of the car, but I had to superclamp my pole directly to the suspension - which was pretty great as it was so secure compared to having to check my suction cups every pass :)

Perhaps if I continue with car shots then I'll invest in an underbody clamp setup, but I've found the suction cup route allows more versatility to use them for other applications too :)

Nice site btw.

The shots of the car I love, had a snoop on your website for a bit. Theres a lot of work and info on there i'm absorbing, I really like yout style.
Thanks Rich - much appreciated (y)

Do you use suction cups or underbody rigs (or both)?

The only bit I found I could use properly was the rear carbon spoiler.
I did get a tracking shot of the front of the car, but I had to superclamp my pole directly to the suspension - which was pretty great as it was so secure compared to having to check my suction cups every pass :)

Perhaps if I continue with car shots then I'll invest in an underbody clamp setup, but I've found the suction cup route allows more versatility to use them for other applications too :)

Nice site btw.

I'm using suction pads too. I wouldn't use an undercar rig as it takes too long to set up.

I don't normally take bts shots, but the rig kind of looks crazy on the XBow!
5671464629_11a8ee2c5c_b.jpg

For the shot of the back I had a pad on the side as per this shot, then the other pad just resting on the bodywork as I held the camera in place :)

Also helps that I'm using a rig which is quite a lot longer which means that you can get more natural looking shots :)

Yea - your pole is way longer than mine (ooer missus :LOL:)

For my tracking shots I use the pole from my studio boom, so it's not really long enough, but it's all I have to hand.
I bought a massive section of box alluminium with the plan to run a wire over the top so it'd flex one way only, but I think the thing's too damn heavy. :shake:

Did you make your rig yourself or did you buy it prefrabricated as a pack?
I've seen some online, but they were stupid expensive for what was essentially some aluminium scaffolding poles and a selection of nuts 'n bolts.

Yea - your pole is way longer than mine (ooer missus :LOL:)

For my tracking shots I use the pole from my studio boom, so it's not really long enough, but it's all I have to hand.
I bought a massive section of box alluminium with the plan to run a wire over the top so it'd flex one way only, but I think the thing's too damn heavy. :shake:

Did you make your rig yourself or did you buy it prefrabricated as a pack?
I've seen some online, but they were stupid expensive for what was essentially some aluminium scaffolding poles and a selection of nuts 'n bolts.

I built it myself. Due for an upgrade in June :)

Back