Kupo Grip KCP-240P 40" Grip Arm

the one that you see in the picture is permanently attached to that end of the arm. You need another grip head for the stand.

I see what you mean now. It doesn't have the thumbscrew on the one side. I suppose they are grub screws and you could move it by undoing them with an allen key but that defeats the object of the easy to adjust grip head.

I will probably try and find an arm on it's own and then buy a couple of heads.

I see what you mean now. It doesn't have the thumbscrew on the one side. I suppose they are grub screws and you could move it by undoing them with an allen key but that defeats the object of the easy to adjust grip head.

I will probably try and find an arm on it's own and then buy a couple of heads.

This is typically how most companies sell it because you always want to be mounting it so no reason to sell it without, I'm pretty sure it's just a small bolt

Interfit sell a re-branded Chinese one which is just the thin pole portion, a few other brands have it as well but personally I'd stick with the Kupo/Impact ones because they make nice grip heads.

Thanks for the reply Simon, I am going to do some more homework and order some on Monday. I’ve just had a really good deal on a set of 2 Neewer C-stands on Amazon,a deal came up at I got the two for £125 inc del and I was thinking of getting another couple of arms and heads to go on some spare standard light stands I have.

Yeah those Neewer ones are the same as the Interfit ones, they're made somewhere in China and just get re-branded, the spigots on both ends gives it away.

There is one downside to them, they use a different size receiver in the turtle base so you can't mix and match them easily with other brands but other than that they work fine.

Last edited:
Yeah those Neewer ones are the same as the Interfit ones, they're made somewhere in China and just get re-branded, the spigots on both ends gives it away.

There is one downside to them, they use a different size receiver in the turtle base so you can't mix and match them easily with other brands but other than that they work fine.

I’ve never had any before, when you say spigot is that the part on the very end which is the same as the top of a light stand where the strobe goes onto?

Also which part is the turtle base? Excuse my ignorance lol

I’ve never had any before, when you say spigot is that the part on the very end which is the same as the top of a light stand where the strobe goes onto?

Look at the extension arm, it has two plastic caps on each end because they've put a standard spigot on each end. Most other manufacturer's I can think of don't do that or at best like Kupo/Impact they have a hexagonal attachment but I think the recommended way is to use a separate grip head and baby pin so you can fully lock down heavier fixtures but don't quote me on that.

The Kupo videos aren't a bad introduction:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv_lCH7uku0

Also which part is the turtle base? Excuse my ignorance lol

There's two main versions of C stands, turtle bases where you can remove the base entirely and sliding legs where just one leg can be moved up or down which makes them useful on uneven surfaces, stairs etc. With a turtle base you can use different types of base so if you wanted the convenience of a roller you can add that later but because the size is slightly off on these c stands you lose that flexibility but if you've got no plans to do so it's not a disadvantage and you're better off with the savings you'll make now.

The Kupo runway:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf2jgYu2GYQ

Last edited:
Thanks for the links to the videos, I take a look later. I understand what a turtle is now due to the way the legs are spread out :).

I’ve been quoted £44 in the show for a arm and two grip heads when I was at the photography show from production gear which I presume would be the correct item to go for to go onto a standard light stand?

Yes but you wouldn't normally use it with a light stand as it won't balance well.

C stands tend to be heavy as they're usually steel, something like 8kg vs 1-2kg compared to a normal kit stand.

Yes but you wouldn't normally use it with a light stand as it won't balance well.

C stands tend to be heavy as they're usually steel, something like 8kg vs 1-2kg compared to a normal kit stand.

Good point Simon, if I was to adapt a light stand it would only be for holding some background paper, not even a full roll as I don’t have the width in my room.

The hex ends on the Kupo arms look like a really good idea. I never thought about the light twisting like in the video.

They are a good idea but just remember if you use it with anything over a fairly limited weight range you'll need to counterbalance it for safety. He does that in one of the videos but you can also place weights on the C stand legs as they're straight or at the base of a standard light stand where the leg braces meet to give it more mass.

An extension arm works fine for small modifiers (diffusion sheets, flags, scrims, speedlights etc) but if you find yourself using larger/heavier fixtures then I'd recommend you consider a boom arm proper.

Thanks for the advice Simon, I’ve bought some sandbags to go on the legs or as a counterbalance and I don’t think I would put one of my strobes on it, just flags etc as you mention. If I needed just a little bit of light in one area I could always add a speed light to one of the arms.

Yes, they come with one grip head, dependant on what you want to do, you only need one, just to attach it to the stand.

Back