L.e.d ring light

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Noticed today while out shopping in home bargains a l.e.d ring light , made for the selfie brigade but only £19.99 on a tripod to

Good grief, a ring and LED. That will give some delightful results - not! :rolleyes:

I'm sure they'll sell like hot cakes. :exit:

Good grief, a ring and LED. That will give some delightful results - not! :rolleyes:

I'm sure they'll sell like hot cakes. :exit:
dont shoot the messenger mate I thought they might be of use to someone

Actually, they make ring flashes now too, and ring LEDs that are now bright enough to use for close-up and product photography, but not at that cheap of a price. They cost more, of course, but can be very handy when trying to shoot small objects up close macro style. These get attached to the camera lens, so move with the camera for shadow free results. Shooting the wedding rings placed together just before the wedding is now almost as easy as a snapshot.

Charley

From under £8 on ebay with variable colour temp and remote.
Actually quite tempted to light small products.

This is the ring flash that I've been using. With a 10X filter lens on my 24-100 lens and the Godox flash below I can take photos of small objects like wedding rings and small electronic PC boards using the lowest flash power setting most of the time. At the price, this has proven to be a very handy addition to my studio as well as to take it on field trips for those wedding rings and similar "up close" even lighting shots. At this magnification, a tripod is an absolute must. The result is easy shadow free lighting. At $62 US, it's an incredible bargain for what you can do with it.

I also have a 2' X 2' X 2' translucent tent that I surround with LED panels for shadow free shooting. It also works well, but portability sometimes makes the ring flash a better choice.

Charley

The Godox Ring Flash that I'm using -
amazon.com/gp/product/B0153A4BLA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a ring diffuser that fits a conventional flash head, but would never use it for a portrait. That white circle in the eye makes me want to punch someone.

I would never use a ring flash for a portrait, nor would I use a fan blade type light configuration, like I've seen some trying to use. To me, both make very ugly and un-natural catchlights in the eyes of your subject/model. Natural light comes from above or high shining down at an angle, and the shape of the light reflection in their eyes is a reflection of the shape of the light being used. The Sun is round. Anything else reflecting in their eyes just doesn't look natural. I never want my light reflections in their eyes to be un-natural in a portrait, When possible, I do my best to position my lights to completely avoid the catchlight reflections. The two previous posts by @Sky and @ancient_mariner express my feelings as well.

Charley

Reactions: Sky
Back