L glass running through my head

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys an girls been thinking about a general lens taking shots of just about anything that takes my fancy everyday things flowers in the garden a bird sat on the fence a narrow boat on the canal hows the 24 -105 f4 l is or is this over kill:thinking:

I wouldn't say it was overkill, if you have the money to spend on top quality then go for it! At least it will hold its value better, provide you with a much more robust lens that may well last longer than anything else and give you the best image quality.

hi guys an girls been thinking about a general lens taking shots of just about anything that takes my fancy everyday things flowers in the garden a bird sat on the fence a narrow boat on the canal hows the 24 -105 f4 l is or is this over kill:thinking:

imho its a fantastic lens and the only one i use(y)

over kill NO once you have used it for a while you will never look back(y)

i think nearly every shot in my gallery is with this lens " nearly"

md(y)

Might be a bit short for the bird on the garden fence... unless your local birdlife is quite tame and/or large! (think ostrich)

if you have the 100-400 the 24-105 will fit very nicley in your camera bag...

md(y)

I got my 24-105L from Kerso last year, £570 and cashback.
Brill as a walk around, ask and see what deals he has on offer.
Jim

I have both the 24-105 and the 100-400, love them both more than the Mrs :)

I think you have made your mind up despite another vote here, my favourite lens, on my camera all the time and will only take it off if if there is definitely no way of getting the shot.

Gary, you're on a 50D crop, yes?

While 24-105 L is perhaps one of the best reasons for going full frame (perfect walkabout range) for me it is just not wide enough on a crop. I got the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, which almost has the same range, plus a stop faster :)

Edit: Beware the lust of the red ring...

Gary, you're on a 50D crop, yes?

While 24-105 L is perhaps one of the best reasons for going full frame (perfect walkabout range) for me it is just not wide enough on a crop. I got the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, which almost has the same range, plus a stop faster :)

Edit: Beware the lust of the red ring...

Thanks for that, it confirms what I'd been starting to think myself. The 24-105L looks great but on my crop body it's not going to be wide enough - think I'm going to have to check out the 17-55 2.8 in a bit more detail.

I dont think its anywhere near £570 now.....I may be wrong though!

I have it, its a great lens but at f4 its not the fastest so if you do alot of work in doors something like the 24-70 f2.8 might be better, but I bought the 25-105 for the extra reach.

In the future Ill prob add a 70-200 so my arsenal and in return will probably trade in for a 24-70.

Thanks for that, it confirms what I'd been starting to think myself. The 24-105L looks great but on my crop body it's not going to be wide enough - think I'm going to have to check out the 17-55 2.8 in a bit more detail.

No no no :nono: Just get a 5D2 as well :D

:nuts:me thinks not always having a crop body one bit at a time guys an girls:naughty:

I would recommend the 24-70mm 2.8. Other than my 500mm f4, this is the best lens I have, produces lovely images and excellent in low light.:)

If only the 17-55 EF-S fitted on the 5D2........... 5D2 full frame, doesn't take EF-s lens.(y)

Good point! Bugger.
So I guess the closest equivalent would be the EF 16-35mm USM? Little bit more expensive though.

What about the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8? Presumably that fits a 5D2? Nice and cheap compared to the 17-55!

24-105 is a great walk around lens. I had the 17-55 f/2.8 as well as the 24-105 for my 40D and sold the 17-55, although I knew I was going to go full frame fairly soon.

What about the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8? Presumably that fits a 5D2?

Nope, it's only for crop sensors as well I'm afraid! If you want wider than about 24mm on full-frame, there's not a huge amount of choice. It's the 16-35 L, or some really wide-angles with very limited range (there's a Sigma 12-something mm, but I can't remember what else).

Chris

On the other hand the IS on the 24..105 (which the 24..70 doesn't have) is very good.

but no good in low light and quick moving objects;)

the 24-105 has a larger range, in low light on static objects, i think the 24-105 works best(maths may have failed me there though)

whereas the 24-70 will allow faster shutter speeds in low light to help freeze movement.

both are supposedly very good optically and very capable of getting good images.

Back