L lenses

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
are the L series of lenses worth the extra money?
i have been reading reviews on fredmiranda.com and every one says nothing is as good.
the lab test results are also good on photozone.
im thinking of getting the 70-200 f4 L is , would i really notice the difference between this lens and the Sigma or Tamron versions.
i dont wont to spend all that money and then think if only id got the ...

TBH I look at it this way.....Invest in high quality glass, it will stay with you for a dam sight longer than any body. I sold all my glass, and have been buying only L, apart from the nifty. I guess end of hey day you get what you pay for.

TBH I look at it this way.....Invest in high quality glass, it will stay with you for a dam sight longer than any body. I sold all my glass, and have been buying only L, apart from the nifty. I guess end of hey day you get what you pay for.

thats kind of the way i look at it . this is probably gona be the most exspensive lens i get so i want to get it right first time.

You wont go wrong with that lens, i have the 2.8 version and it rocks!!!
Dean:)

are the L series of lenses worth the extra money?
i have been reading reviews on fredmiranda.com and every one says nothing is as good.
the lab test results are also good on photozone.
im thinking of getting the 70-200 f4 L is , would i really notice the difference between this lens and the Sigma or Tamron versions.
i dont wont to spend all that money and then think if only id got the ...

Well worth the extra money IMO and by the way, the 70-200 f4 IS is the more recent of the 70-200s and is regarded as the sharpest lens in that range. Uber sharp in fact :)

Also has a 4 stop image stabiliser (the first generation were only good for 2 stops)

also how much is a tripod mount for this lens cost i dont seem to be able to find one

thanks

I went from a Sigma 70-300 APO to the Canon 70-200 F4 IS and I can safely say you will see quite a difference.

also how much is a tripod mount for this lens cost i dont seem to be able to find one

thanks

They're in the region of £90 for the official Canon version, or Ebay have quite a few made in Hong Kong (immitations of the Canon collars)

cheers every one.
now i just have to bring my self to part with the money

Chris

I purchased a Sigma 135-400 as I thought the canon version wasn't value for money. Wrong....I found the Sigma to be much slower on the AF and I didn't get IS which does allow you to use the lens without a tripod on most occasions. Yes ;I now have the 100-400 L IS from Canon.

I also have the 70-200 F4. It's a lovely light lens and very sharp. I have the HK made collar ( I didn't think £90 was worth it for the 2-3 times a year I use it on a tripod) It's reasonably well made but can be a little difficult to fit as the screw and threads don't line up as well as the Canon one does ( on the 100-400). You have to ease the screw onto the threads. But once on no problem

thanks chappers.
i read so many reviews about sigmas having to go back for recalibration , i was just a little put off by the price of the L but everyone seems to think it well worth it.

I have the lens you`re looking at, I love it. It`s so sharp, I`ve had A4 prints of my big cat pictures printed and you can see the reflection on the wire in his eyes. I never noticed it until I had it printed up.

It`s such a good bit of kit, you won`t regret it. I`m not saying it`s the same for all the L stuff as I only have experience of that one, but it`s one hell of a jump up from the cheaper kit.

Back