L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

Yeah I keep thinking about trying the 16-35, but then I don't shoot that wide. Sigma 20mm prime is very appealing for me next tbh, as I just love to shoot primes.

What's the filter situation with that lens? I don't think it takes the standard 100mm filters due to the bulbous front end. Been there, done that with a Nikon 14-24 and I would say never again.

If your Panny 20-60 is sharp at the front end, not sure what the Sigma 20 would offer you - landscape is all about field of view so if the lens you have already covers that field of view, and it's sharp centre to edge, you are sorted.

What's the filter situation with that lens? I don't think it takes the standard 100mm filters due to the bulbous front end. Been there, done that with a Nikon 14-24 and I would say never again.

If your Panny 20-60 is sharp at the front end, not sure what the Sigma 20 would offer you - landscape is all about field of view so if the lens you have already covers that field of view, and it's sharp centre to edge, you are sorted.

The 16-35 Pro is just an F4 and take a normal 77mm filter ring for normal filters. The 20mm prime probably wouldn't offer anything different per se, although being a prime will be undoubtedly sharper. The 20-60 does the job just fine though tbh so would just be throwing money away I think.

The 16-35 Pro is just an F4 and take a normal 77mm filter ring for normal filters. The 20mm prime probably wouldn't offer anything different per se, although being a prime will be undoubtedly sharper. The 20-60 does the job just fine though tbh so would just be throwing money away I think.

On a 24mp body, I doubt you'd really see the uplift in sharpness, on the 47mp one - yeah. But for the sake of using filters that 16-35 would win out if it's a decent zoom but then you'd want another to cover you from 35-70, so the 24-70 or something like that. It can all get very expensive.

20-60 is such a useful and practical zoom range for a 35mm format camera for UK landscape shooters, seems almost built for us.

On a 24mp body, I doubt you'd really see the uplift in sharpness, on the 47mp one - yeah. But for the sake of using filters that 16-35 would win out if it's a decent zoom but then you'd want another to cover you from 35-70, so the 24-70 or something like that. It can all get very expensive.

20-60 is such a useful and practical zoom range for a 35mm format camera for UK landscape shooters, seems almost built for us.

Yeah that's why I'm happy with what I have in the 20-60, 70-300 and 85, I don't need wider than 20mm, and as you say, 20-60 is an almost perfect range for me personally.

Think we will hear any announcements from Panasonic regarding new cameras / improvements this year folks?

They launched the GH6 but it's very quiet on everything else, whilst other manufacturers have or are releasing new tech.

Just want improved animal eye tracking really and something that does more than 5 FPS in continuing auto focus / tracking.

I get better results taking photos of my dog on my G9.

If not, I think my FF kit will be swapped out for something from canon (would be Sony but their bodies are too small for my hands). To be honest, I've been tempted to swap the FF kit for some pro glass for the G9, but I'm holding on in hope..

Last edited:
Just thought I'd give this thread a wee bump up...

So after using the S5 for 6 months and finally getting out to use it in anger, it just gets better every single time I use it. Coming from a Sony A7R2 and G glass, it was a slight concern when I first made the move, but I couldn't be happier 6 months down the line.

S5, 20-60mm, 70-300mm and the 85mm are in my bag, the dynamic range is stupendous even compared to the old Sony which was considered a dynamic range beast at the time. I find myself using filters less and less now (unless seascaping and wanting to hit my magic shutter speeds) even though I've always been an avid fan of filter use in the field, knowing how far I can push it in both shadow and highlight recovery. Noise is pretty much a thing of the past, not that I've ever let a little bit of noise put me off, I don't mind shooting high ISO in the first place, and the S5 so far doesn't disappoint when it comes to that either.

The IBIS is what astounded me most when I first picked the camera up though, and still does. As with me using filters less and less, the same can be said about tripods. The S5 is such a joy to shoot handheld, both IBIS wise and ergonomically, it's just nice to hold, unlike the clunky old Sony that lived on a tripod 99% of it's life. Yeah I still use tripods at sunrise or sunset when shutter speeds are slower, or when I want to do some seascapes, but otherwise wandering about freely and tripodless is pretty much a new concept to me, crazy after 12 years of shooting landscapes really!

I guess neither of those paragraphs are great for my filter and tripod companies ambassadorial roles, but as time moves on, so does tech and life.

So to sum it up....

#lumixfanboy :ROFLMAO:

Couple of recent images just for your perusal...all shot hand held bar one, and all just one shot, filterless images...

Loupin Stanes by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Poppies 2022 by Martin Steele, on Flickr

The tree on the hill by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Collie and Mackenzie statue Sligachan by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: CSB
Now £1499 so they've dropped another £100 off
£1450 now... I actually picked up a really nice S5 bundle last week at a WEX Open Day or I'd have been tempted as I quite liked the size/heft of the S1 when I held it.

Ultimately though I picked up an S5 with the 20-60, extra battery, grip/stand and Panasonic 50mm f1.8 for less than £1500 which I thought was a great deal.

Loving this at the moment. Might have to buy my own. The 18mm 1.8 seems to be taking it's sweet time since it was pre announced by Panasonic and this is a lot more practical... Decisions decisions
DRB13413-01_1.jpg

Last edited:
Loving this at the moment. Might have to buy my own. The 18mm 1.8 seems to be taking it's sweet time since it was pre announced by Panasonic and this is a lot more practical... Decisions decisions
View attachment 361706
I've been eyeing this up too....although you just piqued my interest with that 18mm 1.8! I don't generally keep up to date with this sort of thing, but that will be looked into for sure! :D

I've been eyeing this up too....although you just piqued my interest with that 18mm 1.8! I don't generally keep up to date with this sort of thing, but that will be looked into for sure! :D
I've been stalking that lens announcement for ages but now sigma sent me the 16-28 I've almost had my head turned.

The Sigma zooms are quite tempting - been reading a lot that the Panasonic 1.8 primes are more suited for Video - quite tempted by the 28-70 f2.8 and at some point that 16-28
This pair of lenses has crossed my mind a few times, I'm going to keep going with the 24-105 for a while to see how I get on, but I'm keeping my options open.

The Sigma zooms are quite tempting - been reading a lot that the Panasonic 1.8 primes are more suited for Video - quite tempted by the 28-70 f2.8 and at some point that 16-28
Having used both now I could live with that combo! I've used both sigmas for video and it's been spot on every time. It tracks AF really well too.

Anyone using the Sigma 35mm f1.4? Probably my all time favourite lens since I first had one for Nikon way way back when it first launched
Might have to try this next then. The 20mm f2 looks good too but I might need a little break from ultra wides

Last edited:
I've just seen tonight that the latest Sigma 20mm F1.4 ART is going to be released in L Mount as well as Sony FE, and this time it has a removable hood so filters can be used if required. It was a cracking lens way back when I shot Canon, so another option at 20mm to look into too.

Hi folks, has anyone tried the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 AF DG DN Art Lens - L Mount lens at all?

I've been using the Lumix 12-35 mm 2.8 on my G9 a lot and thought this could be a good option to replace the kit 20-60 mm.

It's about £900 cheaper than the Lumix pro 24-70mm 2.8 which if I'm honest is out of my hobby budget, but with some trading I could get into the sigma lens.

Am I correct in thinking that this is one of the new lenses not an old DSLR one?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Hi folks, has anyone tried the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 AF DG DN Art Lens - L Mount lens at all?

I've been using the Lumix 12-35 mm 2.8 on my G9 a lot and thought this could be a good option to replace the kit 20-60 mm.

It's about £900 cheaper than the Lumix pro 24-70mm 2.8 which if I'm honest is out of my hobby budget, but with some trading I could get into the sigma lens.

Am I correct in thinking that this is one of the new lenses not an old DSLR one?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
I have and yes you're right it's not the old DSLR lens. Top notch lens in all fairness!

View: https://youtu.be/_GWmp_EsD3w

Just had a quick skim through this forum and it seems to be mainly Panasonic and some superb images. I bought a Leica CL Vario kit on a bit of a whim thinking it would play nicely with my Leica M lenses. Camera is beautifully built and menus simple and logical. Kit lens 18-65 good but not outstanding. I do get very frustrated by the lack of functionality, no stabilisation, fixed LCD no ports USB or HDMI not even a remote trigger facility. Seriously wondering whether to look for other L mount camera or to switch back to mft Oly.

Just had a quick skim through this forum and it seems to be mainly Panasonic and some superb images. I bought a Leica CL Vario kit on a bit of a whim thinking it would play nicely with my Leica M lenses. Camera is beautifully built and menus simple and logical. Kit lens 18-65 good but not outstanding. I do get very frustrated by the lack of functionality, no stabilisation, fixed LCD no ports USB or HDMI not even a remote trigger facility. Seriously wondering whether to look for other L mount camera or to switch back to mft Oly.
I think there are some good deals on the S5 now and John lewis were selling the S1 for about £1450 recently.

I must admit I have taken my S5 and 20-60mm out for the last two days of my trip to Scotland (leaving the G9 behind) and I have really enjoyed using it. Okay, it is pretty useless for capturing my tiny little dog running (unless I use 6k video mode) but as a street / stills camera it is really good. I feel like I have fallen in love with it again...

Last edited:
Hi guys,

just wanted to stop by and join the praise on L-Mount gear.

I own the Lumix S1 and S5 as backup as well as a few lenses. And I am still blown away by the sheer quality of that gear. I know, we often say that gear doesn‘t really matter. And i get that from a certain point.

But for me some things DO matter. And the main thing that matters for me is „feel“, usabilty and button layout. And the very moment I layed my hands on the S1 i instantly fell in love with it. I have tried every camera manufacturers flagship over the last decade and was using an Olympus E-M1X at that time (wich is no slouch in terms of usabilty). Still, the very moment i touched the S1 it hit me. I didn‘t want to let it go.

So in a matter of seconds I sold my hole mFT gear and invested head over feet in L-Mount. Best gear decision of my life. I absolutely love that camera.

Good thing my favorite lens of all time is also an L-Mount lens: the Sigma 35mm f/1.2 is a mind blowing piece of kit for my boudoir photography. I love it more than I should given its size and weight. But it fits the S1 in terms of build quality and the image quality and creative potential it offers to me are second to none.

I really like the 70-200mm f/2.8 as well. That is a fantastic and really versatile lens. I use it for potraits, weddings and landscape (sometimes with the 2x-converter) and it is the most impressive 70-200mm I ever used.

Edit: I do also enjoy the colours with the Lumix S1 & S5. They did a fantastic job on these. Skin tones, Greens and even Reds (which I felt earlier Lumix-cameras have been really off in terms of saturation and vibrance) are beautiful right out of cam. That makes my life soooo much more enjoyable. Thanks Panasonic :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi S5 owners...have been considering the switch to an S5 for a while now, am currently an M43 user (Pen-F) and trying to found out a bit more about the quality of the IBIS of the S5. I’d be grateful for any views on its implementation / usability.

I predominantly use prime lenses so would also welcome views on the L-mount Panasonic and Sigma offerings.

All the best,

Steve

Hi S5 owners...have been considering the switch to an S5 for a while now, am currently an M43 user (Pen-F) and trying to found out a bit more about the quality of the IBIS of the S5. I’d be grateful for any views on its implementation / usability.

I predominantly use prime lenses so would also welcome views on the L-mount Panasonic and Sigma offerings.

All the best,

Steve

I found the IBIS was one of the main things that blew me away when I first picked the camera up, as it was never a consideration as my camera spends 99% of it's life on a tripod, however, I now find myself handholding the camera much more because the IBIS is that good. I've steady hands anyhow, but can quite happily shoot 3 second exposures handheld at the wider end of the 20-60, and also shoot the 70-300mm and never had any issues regarding camera shake, especially as the 70-300 has OS too so get the duel OS with lens and body working together.

I use the Lumix S 85mm 1.8 and find it really good. Incredibly sharp and a nice weight. AF isn't super fast, but then that isn't really a concern for what I shoot. I used the Lumix S 50mm 1.8 too when I first switched and it was the same as the 85mm.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Martin, much appreciated.

AF performance not a big requirement for me, though sounds very usable all things considered. Good feedback on the 85mm, one of my favoutite focal lengths for both portrait and the occasional landscape.

I am no expert in these things but I see no difference between my G9 and my S5 in terms of image stabilisation to be honest.
I'm not sure why you think you would? They both have 5 axis stabilisation, so probably much the same system...

I'm mainly using the Panasonic 24-105 with my S5 and I've found the dual IS to be just as good as my GH5 with the 12-60 Leica.

I'm mainly using the Panasonic 24-105 with my S5 and I've found the dual IS to be just as good as my GH5 with the 12-60 Leica.
Hi Sam, how do you find that lens, balance and performance wise, with the S5?

Hence no difference between the two :)

I have the 50mm and 85mm 1.8 Panasonic lenses but have really used the kit 20-60 lens the most and I think it's pretty good if I'm honest, so don't discount that lens straight away either :)
Hi Adam, I’m not normally a kit lens type of user however this one does intrigue me…looking forward to trying it out.

I don't think I've seen a negative review of the 20-60 kit lens... obviously it won't be the best, but it's pretty good in my opinion.

Don't forget to check out that John Lewis link I put up earlier cause they have the S1 at £1395 now which is cheap (no lens though). I don't work for John Lewis I would just add, but think it's a great deal considering WEX want almost the same for a used body...

S1 is bigger than the S5 though but I believe it comes with some upgrades here and there.

To be honest I've been tempted at picking one up myself as people seem to rate them highly.

Last edited:
This is the best offer for the S5 i've seen so far.
S5v body with 20-60mm, free Panasonic 50mm, tripod and free battery, 1599 with voucher code

Back