L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

Awesome, I just need to learn how to use them

I purchased a flash for my M50 mk ii and it works on camera but needs a trigger off camera (or can act as a master). Man in wex said I could use this one as a slave and link them? Above my pay grade if I'm honest lol.

He did say I need a trigger for it when using it off camera on the S5 and showed me some that were tiny little things for about £49. He said Godox do a trigger also, but they didn't have stock.

Something to look into moving forwards.

I've just given my old Canon 500d and lens and bits to the young lad next door who has started to enjoy photography. His mom said he was ecstatic. It's only take 9057 pictures since 2009 lol.

I thought folks here might find this useful
View: https://youtu.be/5h__UXyt1DA

Just love what sigma are doing with their mirrorless lenses. I really didn't get along with thier DSLR behemoths but they have totally turned it around for mirrorless.

Last edited:
Hi folks, hope all is well and you're having a great day. I've been a lucky lad and I'm in a position to purchase another lens. I've got the 20-60 and the 50 mm. There
are three more lenses that interest me the Panasonic 35 mm, the Panasonic 85 mm and the sigma 105 macro. I'm just wondering which one to get next. What you think? I have a sigma 105 macro for my M50 mk ii so figured that could wait until better months (daughter uses my M50 now). So I'm kinda stuck on the 35 or the 85. I'm leaning towards the 85 as the kit lens is very good and covers the 35 mm range for now. Which would you get?

Hi folks, hope all is well and you're having a great day. I've been a lucky lad and I'm in a position to purchase another lens. I've got the 20-60 and the 50 mm. There
are three more lenses that interest me the Panasonic 35 mm, the Panasonic 85 mm and the sigma 105 macro. I'm just wondering which one to get next. What you think? I have a sigma 105 macro for my M50 mk ii so figured that could wait until better months (daughter uses my M50 now). So I'm kinda stuck on the 35 or the 85. I'm leaning towards the 85 as the kit lens is very good and covers the 35 mm range for now. Which would you get?
The 35mm is supposed to be the best at focusing in video so if that’s important, I’d probably get that however in all other use cases I would absolutely go with the 85mm considering the lenses you have. I also have those two and the 85 is next on my list.

Depends on how badly you want the f1.4. I sold f1.8 lens for f1.4 lenses and I have no regrets. Sony being a older lens can be had much cheaper than Panasonic and for me it was still worth the extra money.

Same for the 35mm focal length (though I went with Sony f1.4 as supposed to sigma one)

It's quite a step up in price £599 to £999 and I'm wondering if I will miss the benefit(s) of the 1.4 or is it worth saving the difference as the benefits are marginal (for me and my novice level skills). Plus £400 almost covers the cost of the 35 mm

It's quite a step up in price £599 to £999 and I'm wondering if I will miss the benefit(s) of the 1.4 or is it worth saving the difference as the benefits are marginal (for me and my novice level skills). Plus £400 almost covers the cost of the 35 mm
For me f1.4 is worth it because for one I can tell the difference between f1.8 and f1.4, allows for more DoF control. But tbh I'm not sure if any one not into photography could tell the difference.... My missus can just about tell the difference after 4 years of staring at my pictures.

Secondly f1.4 is very useful for astrophotography. I buy lenses I can shoot wide open for this purpose.

So it's a mixture of GAS and usefulness. I could probably do just as well with f1.8 lenses for most part but I enjoy having that f1.4 and that wee bit extra control it gives me.

As with most things and especially more so with photography, you always pay increasing more for small or marginal returns. That's the case here too.

Has anybody bought the S5 to supplement their M43 gear, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Has anybody bought the S5 to supplement their M43 gear, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
I bought the S5 to go along with a GH5 and GX80, so far I've been using the S5 with the 20-60 kit lens, Panasonic 50mm f1.8 prime, and an adapted 135mm Carl Zeiss Jena. For photography, the S5 is night and day superior to the GH5 and GX80. Not surprising, considering it's newer technology and full frame.

Focusing is very good for stills, I've not tried fast moving subjects yet, but I don't foresee any issues. Colours are very nice and high ISO images are clean and detailed. Even when the ISO gets really high, noise is pleasant and easy to deal with.

I do notice the difference in size and weight of lenses between the two systems. I'm lusting after the Panasonic 24-105 and I'm dreading the size and weight increase it will bring. Carrying the S5 with 20-60 kit lens feels similar to the GH5 with Leica 12-60.

Thank you Sam, that is very helpful.
No worries, if there's anything specific you want to know just ask. I've been meaning to take some comparison photos between the two systems, but not had the time over Christmas.

Learned quite a bit last night, which is all part of the fun! Lost a lot of shots to the conditions, I had to wipe ice off the lens pretty frequently and I was getting light 'blooms' due to the lens fogging up. Salvaged a few photos though...

S5 + 20-60mm, 10s, f5.6, ISO200 (Live Composite, approx 80 minutes)

Wilton Windmill by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

S5 + 35mm 1.2, 25s, f2.8, ISO800

Wilton Windmill by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Gonna pull the trigger on the 85mm 1.8 this week and I’ve just ordered a nice new Billingham Hadley Small Pro to put my S5 kit in! :)

Last edited:
Sis you get the 85 mm 1.8 Adamsk1? Happy with it?
I did, yes. Very happy! I think those three lenses, the 20-60, 50mm and 85mm are the perfect first three for L mount, especially keeping the price as low as possible for the quality. Next will be a zoom but I’ll need to save up for that. The 35mm would be great for video too but for now (at least the next 6 months or so) I’ll be more than happy with what I have.
Was also gonna grab something much smaller for everyday like the Zv1 but turns out the iPhone 13 is actually quite a leap forward from the 11 Pro I had so I’ll see how I go with that.

Thanks for that. I still haven't pulled the trigger on my 85 mm....I keep pausing and wondering if I should get the Sigma. I have my M50 mkii for traveling with. It's such an easy camera to use and the tiny lenses aren't too bad considering their cost. I can fit the camera and the 22 mm in my pocket.

I'd love to see some images from the Panasonic 85mm. I just found some videos on the TT Artisans 90mm f1.25 lens, which is now available for L mount, and I love the look of the images.

I'd love to see some images from the Panasonic 85mm. I just found some videos on the TT Artisans 90mm f1.25 lens, which is now available for L mount, and I love the look of the images.
I’ll get some in here in the next week or so. I’ve been working on an video project so that’s taking up all of my time at the moment, especially with my 2020 Intel MacBook just not quite being up to the task in Da Vinci! I’ve taken about 80 or so shots so once they’ve had a brief edit in lightroom I’ll get them on.

I have been so impressed with these 1.8 lenses that I am seriously considering a Leica CL for a second body. Normally I’ve always thought what’s the point of having a Leica body without their lenses as that’s where a lot of the magic is and realistically I am not wealthy enough for a collection of those but now I’m thinking even smaller body, L mount, can then probably save up and at least get ONE lens that I can swap between the two…..hmmm….stop me someone

I think the system is fab, admittedly I'm less experienced than some. However as a relative novice, the camera is easy to use and hasn't caused me any problems at all.

I can't stop you as I am due to have a look at a S1R body this week (used with sub 2k taken). I think it's a new toy thing lol.

I did also see Sigma have a small FF mirrorless camera (can't recall its name). Is that any good?

Sigma fpL I believe it's called

Last edited:
Well the S1R I looked at was mint, really nice but massive. Didn't buy it in the end as I don't think I need it, or would do it justice. Did get the 85 mm 1.8 though.
Nice one! You’re gonna love that lens.
I went in to Aperture in London and saw some lovely Leica lenses. It was, however, the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art that absolutely blew my mind. Tack sharp with lovely round bokeh. Gonna be my next lens for sure.

I took a couple of quick pictures of the dog and it looks amazing. Still keep looking at the S1R online ..it's in my basket lol.

I've got the 20-60, 50 and 85 mm 1.8s now. Think I will look at one of the sigma macro lenses next and then possibly a 35mm, but I'm quite happy with the kit lens also.

Read a few things online regarding Panasonic and the future of their camera division. I don't tend to pay too much attention to online articles, but do you guys think there is a risk of them pulling out of the market?

Last edited:
How are we doing folks?

Anyone here registered their gear with Lumix Pro? I was under the impression that my camera came with an extended 3 year warranty, so I registered the body and lens on the Lumix Pro site as directed. Only show a 1 year warranty though? I then registered two more lenses on there (50+85mm) and they also show 1 year warranty. I've then received an email today telling me I've been upgraded to Silver Lumix Pro membership and it costs £35 a year....what's going on, any ideas? I don't mind being a silver member, but wouldn't it have been better for them to ask me? And where is my 3 year warranty?

How are we doing folks?

Anyone here registered their gear with Lumix Pro? I was under the impression that my camera came with an extended 3 year warranty, so I registered the body and lens on the Lumix Pro site as directed. Only show a 1 year warranty though? I then registered two more lenses on there (50+85mm) and they also show 1 year warranty. I've then received an email today telling me I've been upgraded to Silver Lumix Pro membership and it costs £35 a year....what's going on, any ideas? I don't mind being a silver member, but wouldn't it have been better for them to ask me? And where is my 3 year warranty?
I’ve not done anything as of yet but I will do now you’ve reminded me. I’ll update you when I have. Tbh I was under the impression there was three year warranty too. One year seems like a very short time for what are expensive items but then that is I guess the case for many other tech items.

I've registered for the 3 year warranty. It took a few weeks to get confirmation and the free Lumix Pro membership.

Well I managed to find a really rubbish website that asks you to upload all the invoices, then pictures of the serial numbers, once done you then have to type in ALL the information again, then it only allows you to register two products, and then finally, having done all that...it doesn't work anyway. I ended up just emailing the Panasonic promotion email with all the information and shall just write to their customer service dept also. Reading around a few other forums it would appear the process is not highly regarded....makes you wonder if it has been set up this way to deliberately make it hard...after all you click on the extended warranty link on WEX and it takes you to Lumix Pro, you sign up, but it doesn't mention this warranty on there..

Let me know how you guys get on

Well I managed to find a really rubbish website that asks you to upload all the invoices, then pictures of the serial numbers, once done you then have to type in ALL the information again, then it only allows you to register two products, and then finally, having done all that...it doesn't work anyway. I ended up just emailing the Panasonic promotion email with all the information and shall just write to their customer service dept also. Reading around a few other forums it would appear the process is not highly regarded....makes you wonder if it has been set up this way to deliberately make it hard...after all you click on the extended warranty link on WEX and it takes you to Lumix Pro, you sign up, but it doesn't mention this warranty on there..

Let me know how you guys get on
I did my application on that website and everything worked fine for me, maybe I'm just lucky.

Back