L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

I wonder how long it will be before Samyang L mount lenses are available to buy. There are a couple I could go for.

I wonder how long it will be before Samyang L mount lenses are available to buy. There are a couple I could go for.
Me too! I'm sure they'll want to get on the market fairly quickly and ride the publicity that the S5ii has brought to camera market recently.

Critique.......Sigma 24mm F2 DG DN Contemporary - L Mount

Lovely little lens for the money.

Two problems I have found straight away.

No grip at mount end to aid assembly and disassembly, have to use complete lens with hood reversed.

AF/MF switch in wrong orientation, it's radial so very easy to to switch from AF to MF when assembling.

I spent the whole of my first morning with it in MF when I wanted AF, should have been more attentive I suppose.

The switch should be axial IMVHO.

Critique.......Sigma 24mm F2 DG DN Contemporary - L Mount

Lovely little lens for the money.

Two problems I have found straight away.

No grip at mount end to aid assembly and disassembly, have to use complete lens with hood reversed.

AF/MF switch in wrong orientation, it's radial so very easy to to switch from AF to MF when assembling.

I spent the whole of my first morning with it in MF when I wanted AF, should have been more attentive I suppose.

The switch should be axial IMVHO.
I'm interested in what sort of images you get this this and have previously considered trying one out....what use do you have for a prime of this length? It is pretty close.

Just posted this in the Leica thread as well, so apologies for the duplication. This was taken today at Ely Cathedral in Cambridgeshire with the Sigma 24 f2.

53057516814_6c60d54df3_b.jpg

That turned out nice. Have you done the Peterborough tour? Great access to bits not everyone goes to. Looks like you may be fairly close to me?

That turned out nice. Have you done the Peterborough tour? Great access to bits not everyone goes to. Looks like you may be fairly close to me?
I did it several years ago, bell tower, roof and balcony above the main floor.
Library was good too, had a nice day and helped cathedral funds in the process.

I have been to both cathedrals many many times and it just occurred to me that we have two with Such a short distance between them. Closest in UK? I enjoyed the library also - but some of the access walkways were a bit of a squeeze eh?

Not been to Peterborough Cathedral for quite a few years, but no1 son is interested in the Star Wars exhibit so might well be visiting soon!

I have been to both cathedrals many many times and it just occurred to me that we have two with Such a short distance between them. Closest in UK? I enjoyed the library also - but some of the access walkways were a bit of a squeeze eh?
There are quite a few closer than those:
Cathedral-Map-Final-724x1024.jpg.pagespeed.ce.C4EuGu73OB.jpg

Double cashback available on Panasonic primes at the moment, very tempted to get an 85mm!

@Tulipone

Sorry buddy I'm away in Disney at the minute with family.

My macro lenses are the Laowa 100 and the sigma 105 for the S5/S1 and the BOGO 30 mm for my M43rds.

I'd go as far as to say the laowa is sharper than the sigma (based on my limited / technical ability) but the Sigma allows you to use auto focus / post focus and other things, whereas the Laowa doesn't as it's purely manual focus.

If we ever catch up I can bring both out and you can have a go with them if you like?

@Tulipone

Sorry buddy I'm away in Disney at the minute with family.

My macro lenses are the Laowa 100 and the sigma 105 for the S5/S1 and the BOGO 30 mm for my M43rds.

I'd go as far as to say the laowa is sharper than the sigma (based on my limited / technical ability) but the Sigma allows you to use auto focus / post focus and other things, whereas the Laowa doesn't as it's purely manual focus.

If we ever catch up I can bring both out and you can have a go with them if you like?
How is the AF speed on the Sigma 105? I've been tempted to upgrade after dipping my toe in the macro sphere with the older 70mm Sigma model.

How is the AF speed on the Sigma 105? I've been tempted to upgrade after dipping my toe in the macro sphere with the older 70mm Sigma model.
I wouldn't say it's super fast, but I haven't had any issues with it myself. I only have the 30 mm for the M43 and the Laowa for comparison. The laowa being manual focus and aperture only. In comparison to the laowa the AF is brilliant lol.

I watched a lot of tube videos on the lenses prior to buying them. Obviously being L-mount we have less choice currently but I will be keen to see a Panasonic 100 mm macro if it's ever released.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's super fast, but I haven't had any issues with it myself. I only have the 30 mm for the M43 and the Laowa for comparison. The laowa being manual focus and aperture only. In comparison to the laowa the AF is brilliant lol.

I watched a lot of tube videos on the lenses prior to buying them. Obviously being L-mount we have less choice currently but I will be keen to see a Panasonic 100 mm macro if it's ever released.
Yeah, with it being Macro it's gonna be slow in its very nature, but the 70mm has an externally protruding element and is super slow to focus. Might treat myself eventually but I'm mostly doing pet photography for friends at the moment.

Wow that 70mm is a bargain at MPB. I was thinking 105mm but maybe I should just get a 70mm to try out.
That was my thinking, pick up something reasonably priced to see if I got on with Macro. I've had some great results with it.

That was my thinking, pick up something reasonably priced to see if I got on with Macro. I've had some great results with it.
Woukd love to see some of your pictures with the Sigma 70mm.

Woukd love to see some of your pictures with the Sigma 70mm.
I use it mostly to take photos of spiders, not often at true 1:1 macro but it works great at any ratio to be fair.

Here's a selection of beasties taken with the 70mm Sigma.

P1019914.jpg

P1015561.jpg

P1022736 (1).jpg

P1051583.jpg

P1022076.jpg

P1013935 (3).jpg

@Adam-G - thank you for showing those. I need to read up about macro as assumed that there were no options but to take 1:1 unless the lens had magnification? These are stacked? Great pictures though.

@Adam-G - thank you for showing those. I need to read up about macro as assumed that there were no options but to take 1:1 unless the lens had magnification? These are stacked? Great pictures though.
I don't usually stack images as I'm often shooting handheld with subjects who are scared of the camera. Plus sometimes I like the out of focus roll off when I'm trying to draw attention to a certain part of the image. Stacks can look absolutely amazing of course but it's not something I do often at all. All of these are handheld.

1:1 refers to the ratio of subject to sensor size. So at 1:1 a small 2cm bug would appear exactly the same size in your image as if you let the critter sit directly on your camera sensor.

You can shoot and focus at more or less anything up to the 1:1 magnification ratio. Some lenses will do 2:1 or even higher.

When I first started out I only had my Macro and my 20-60 kit so I used to use the 70mm Macro for street/portraits etc as a stop gap. Worked perfectly well, if a bit slow focusing.

P1014794.jpg

Thank you for that. So if I understand correctly, the reasons you’d consider changing the 70 for the 105 is that the front element moves forward to focus other than internally focussing and the speed of acquiring focus? I can see that both of those could be problematic.

The only 105mm on MBP looks like it was dropped inside a potato sack. I’d be more inclined to take them seriously if they had given it a wipe prior to taking photos of it.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. So if I understand correctly, the reasons you’d consider changing the 70 for the 105 is that the front element moves forward to focus other than internally focussing and the speed of acquiring focus? I can see that both of those could be problematic.
Yeah, the element coming out can often spook the spiders so I miss a shot. It won't matter in most use cases I guess and to be fair, it's a rare inconvenience for me but it's still a minor annoyance.

Critique.....Laowa 90mm f2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO Lens.... L Mount

To all accounts it's the new king of 'Macro'...that's if you can actually get it on your camera.

I ordered one in 'L' mount for the SL2-S but it's a right 'cow' to get on and off.

There's nothing to get hold of, no knurled ring as can be seen from the picture.

The aperture ring and the focusing ring rotate, obviously, I found myself gripping the very top of the lens.

Not good I thought, something here is going to get dropped.......it goes back tomorrow.

L242992S_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back