Lady in a blizzard

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
A chance shot a few weeks ago here in Norwich. I was taking the dog for a walk and decided to tick the camera inside my waterproof.

What really struck me was the lovely contrast between her umbrella and the white out. Didn't have time to check settings, it was just point and shoot!
What do you think?
Lady-in-blizzard.jpg

I like that one. I think the horizon could do with a turn, and the levels played with, but for a grab shot,its smashing. The compositions good too.
Dean:)

:agree:

With a little judicious pp this will be a really good shot. The contrast with the grey and the umbrella works. (y)

Andy

Hope you don't mind a quick edit, levels tweaked, slight desat on the main pic, boosted colour on the umbrella and staightened

Lady-in-blizzard.jpg

I was going to say "needs the horizon straightening and making brighter" then I got to "ppp" and found he'd done it. Not necessarily the way I would, but then thats art

great subject, do think somewhere between original and the edit would be good as the it seems to of lost a bit of the bleakness JMO (y)

Hi,
Thanks for the comments and PP!! Enjoyed the shot I was just worried that the snow would cover the lens!

Dunc

With the change it looks like a Christmas card but I do like the original, plus the extra effort you took to take the shot out in the freezing cold.

I agree with Dave somewhere between the original and the edit would be perfect. I too like the bleak, solitary mood you captured. Great contrast between the cheery blue umbrella and the miserable weather conditions. Well spotted and good on you for taking your camera with you and braving the conditions for the shot (y)

Excellent photo and very brave to risk your camera!! It came down so quick didn't it that Sunday.

nice capture, great idea. just need a nice blanket of snow down here so I can have a crack!

Nice shot. The edit is a bit OTT for me, somewhere inbetween that and the original is where it should be.

I hope you dont mind but I had a little play, to where I liked the image.
Obviously snow we know is generally white....and the snow in this image...isnt...so I tweaked.

What I did was make a background copy, and then do "Auto Levels" which really brightened the image but I thought too much. So I then reduced the opacity and merged together. Boosted contrast, and then just re-tweaked the levels again slightly....
sharpened again, as its better after resize, and hoped to get some more detail in it...

3099562605_b412dc0c81_o.jpg

If your not happy I will remove it. And obviously its always better to play about with the origional file size rather than a tiny one :D

Back