Ladybower 2.1.17

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
My first outing of 2017 saw me head the 45mins from home to get to Ladybower, somewhere ive never visited before. Fist mistake was parking miles away from the intended target - the bridge you see in the first two shots but it was a nice meander down the path, lovely cold fresh winter day, but I was wrapped up and warm. I had a bit of a recce round and settled on the shoreline, looking straight sun, over the top of the bridge. As the sun rose, the light was quite harsh and not a cloud in the sky. I couldn't get an exposure I liked, so, I went round the other side of the lake and the light was hitting the arches nicely. Again went to the shoreline and tried to make an image with the reflection and the arches taking centre stage. I needed heavier ND filter I think to get a longer exposure, but hey ho.

Ladybower by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

One from further round
Ladybower-2 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

I had to get home to the wife and kids and the walk back to the car took longer than I tought it would - I literally parked at the other end of the lake. It was here that I realised that I had spent too long at the wrong side, as there were some cracking reflections!

Ladybower-3 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

3rd for me is the pick of the bunch due to the colours ok ok ok I know the first 2 are darned good as well............I must admit I like ht eice in the margins in hte 1st one

Dave

There is some very severe banding in two and the colours in the sky are very peculiar. Did you overexpose the sky then try to fully recovery the highlights. There is some evidence of banding in one but I doubt the untrained eye would spot it.

The last one is the nicest but think had you got right to the shore side rather than try include that messy foreground you'd have had a fat better shot.

3rd for me is the pick of the bunch due to the colours ok ok ok I know the first 2 are darned good as well............I must admit I like ht eice in the margins in hte 1st one

Dave

Thanks pal

There is some very severe banding in two and the colours in the sky are very peculiar. Did you overexpose the sky then try to fully recovery the highlights. There is some evidence of banding in one but I doubt the untrained eye would spot it.

The last one is the nicest but think had you got right to the shore side rather than try include that messy foreground you'd have had a fat better shot.

Thanks Steve, well spotted and yes I think I have overdone two and poss one on the highlights, I will revisit. Re 3 - It was killing me on the way back to the car - I had to be home and shot these thinking what could have been, only if I had have more time eh! It was my first time there and I didn't know the lay of the land and it probably shows in my shots. Nice to be out though and I will go back. Love your images by the way. Cheers for commenting.

I was there in the Autumn but the light was no good. I agree about the banding in the first two. I would shave some off the bottom and the left of the third one but it is very nice as it sits.

Lovely shots Chris, noting comments above. Regarding a longer exposure for the first, I'd have suggested the opposite would have been better and chosen a shorter exposure: where I've shot long exposure with groups of bubbles floating past then that usually results in unsightly lines in the water, rather than smoothing things out.

Your first is a very striking shot, and I wish it were possible to still and clear that water, but Steve is right, and your third is the best.

Following feedback above I went back in to revisit the processing and remembered I did actually rattle off a couple of frames with my longer lens, in order to take away the unsightly foreground in the 3rd. Herewith my effort, literally stood in the same place. I feel this works better?

Ladybower-4 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Lovely shots Chris, noting comments above. Regarding a longer exposure for the first, I'd have suggested the opposite would have been better and chosen a shorter exposure: where I've shot long exposure with groups of bubbles floating past then that usually results in unsightly lines in the water, rather than smoothing things out.

Your first is a very striking shot, and I wish it were possible to still and clear that water, but Steve is right, and your third is the best.

Thanks pal. The light hitting the arches did transfix me for a while, and I was glad I made the trip and recce for next time. Thanks for feedback, will remember for next time.

Back