Ladybower Reservoir

Edit My Images
Yes
Just getting back into photography after a long break and constructive criticism would be appreciated.

NW2A5377-1.jpgNW2A5385-1.jpg

Welcome back. With these I'd say the first one looks a bit wonky, make sure the horizon is level before you take the shot. Also I'd say there is no clear pull into the image, the light is quite nice but the composition isn't really doing it for me, cropping some of the left side might help. Sorry to say but the second image isn't really working as a compelling landscape picture, at least for me. The flat light isn't helping and knowing this area quite well, there are more picturesque places within reach - Bamford Edge, Win Hill, Crook Hill, Derwent Edge, Ladybower woodlands etc. I know how daunting offering our pictures for critique can be and hope this comes across as constructive.

Thanks that's exactly what i was looking for i will go away and have a think about your comments - cheers Rob

Hi Rob, glad you're getting back into things.

1) - as said, it's a bit wonky. I'd have tried to get a bit more of the overflow & LHS into the image - if your lens wasn't wide enough the getting a bit lower (if possible) would have also helped.
2) This looks like the exciting bit was the light in the sky & orange reflections off the water. The image is over-exposed to make that work , hence it just looks a bit flat instead of having an exciting wedge of colour top & bottom. Next time I'd try multiple shots, metering off the grass, hillside, reflection on the water and then clouds in the sky, giving a choice of how much highlight & shadow detail to save in the image.

Thanks once again all good points for me to consider. Your quite right i should have worked a bit harder on the composition. With number two the best bit was in fact the water i was just pleased to retain the detail in the trees, sky and still get the effect i was looking for on the water. I will defiantly try different metering option next time. Thanks.

Back