412602_10150998101504359_35431441_o.jpg

2. North view

416491_10150998025789359_1344611474_o.jpg

3. Evil Drain hole

472137_10150998036259359_615610411_o.jpg

4. View south down the Embankment

461703_10150998081849359_261445699_o.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set- that drain hole does indeed look Evil. were you not tempted to take a shot looking into it :D

Les :LOL:

Nice set- that drain hole does indeed look Evil. were you not tempted to take a shot looking into it :D

Its really hard to shoot, for the get good exposure of the drainhole, you blow the water, and horizon. If you expose for the horizon, you blacken the drainhole.

The answer may be an HDR, but my effort was dreadful so I didn't offer it for critique.

412249_10150998036899359_745444358_12099921_1649695671_o.jpg

sound like a ND Grad filter could have helped you there (y)

Looks even more evil in the last image :eek:

Nice images Steve, which end is the drain hole at BTW looks like you have done some legwork ! - Nick

I like the locations and framing of the shots, but find the colours overly saturated and the colour balance on the wrong side of natural.

Don't think the problem is my monitor as it is a calibrated, high quality Eizo and other images that I have been viewing on the site look fine.

Regards,

Jon

Nice images Steve, which end is the drain hole at BTW looks like you have done some legwork ! - Nick

Hi Nick,

I was staying in the Ladybower Inn. No more than a miles walk if that. The eery drainholes were at the far end near the dam heading in the direction of the Yorkshire Bridge Inn.

Aside, later on in PP I adjusted an image where I over exposed to get detail from the drainhole, and I tinkered around with graduated tints and ND filters to get this.

I'm not that happy with it though

469314_10150998081269359_745444358_12099971_1507957511_o.jpg

I like the locations and framing of the shots, but find the colours overly saturated and the colour balance on the wrong side of natural.

Don't think the problem is my monitor as it is a calibrated, high quality Eizo and other images that I have been viewing on the site look fine.

Regards,

Jon

Are there any in particular that stand out.

I am using an Apple LED cinema display, nothing calibrated.

A friend of mine said some of mine appeared a tad vibrant, and now you have so thats too. The saturation was barely adjusted in images 1, 2 and three. I added ND filter affects to those, and adjusted contrast, saturation sharpness very very slightly.

Are there any in particular that stand out.

I am using an Apple LED cinema display, nothing calibrated.

A friend of mine said some of mine appeared a tad vibrant, and now you have so thats too. The saturation was barely adjusted in images 1, 2 and three. I added ND filter affects to those, and adjusted contrast, saturation sharpness very very slightly.

To be honest, my comment applies to them all. Have you checked all the settings in the screen menu? Some have pre-sets for different viewing conditions and you need to make sure yours is set for image editing. Check also the colour temperature setting which, ideally, should be 5500 or 6500K. Make sure that the OS is using the correct colour profile for your monitor and try to do your editing in dim light, preferably using lamps having the same colour temperature as that set on the screen. If you want more detail/clearer instructions try here: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/color-management-printing.htm or here: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/features.html. Although it can seem a bit daunting on first read, it is worth the effort; as is investing in a monitor calibration device.

All the best,

Jon ;)

I find it a bit overly saturated as well. Especially the drain hole shots. But I'm looking at this on my phone so can't say for sure.

Anyway, lovely set. Favourites are first one and the drain hole ones!
Beautiful location and good compo.
I must agree that hdr or a nd filter might be beneficial. :)

ST4 said:
Hi Nick,

I was staying in the Ladybower Inn. No more than a miles walk if that. The eery drainholes were at the far end near the dam heading in the direction of the Yorkshire Bridge Inn.

Aside, later on in PP I adjusted an image where I over exposed to get detail from the drainhole, and I tinkered around with graduated tints and ND filters to get this.

I'm not that happy with it though

Many thanks Steve, I really must try to get up there it's really not that far from me. Thanks for the heads up.

Nick

Nice series of shots, last time I was up here the water level was well down :( were they taken recently maybe worth a trip now I have a wide angle (y) Id like to see them overflowing bet thats fab

Cheers folks. I'm sure on google there are images of it flowing over the drains. Scary I would guess. Wouldn't fancy taking a swim in there either.

Dave, I used a sigma 10 to 20 and didn't need to do much pp. the morning light was brilliant

This was one I got when the rain had been falling. There's also the dams round the corner further up the reservoir which can be interesting to photograph, particularly when it's been raining and the water is flowing over the edge. They are good to try with longer exposures and ND filters. (y)

4293327298_46ee956d75_o.jpg

wippers said:
This was one I got when the rain had been falling. There's also the dams round the corner further up the reservoir which can be interesting to photograph, particularly when it's been raining and the water is flowing over the edge. They are good to try with longer exposures and ND filters. (y)

Fantastic. I've got some over the viaduct but they're ok but not great but agree the area is photogenic

Regards,

Jon

Hi Jon,

I've been using the generic apple LED display colour profile. I've switched to Adobe 1998? Is this a good thing to do? I'm finding conflicting information. I do use RAW files.

In terms of brightness, I may have had the screen set to too low a brightness level. I've had to minorly add more contrast to the screen and brighten it, however, for normal use, it now seems very bright.

Last edited:
Can some-one help us here. This has not been adjusted for saturation at all. Minor adjustment for contrast and shadows plus highlights...

DSC_0099.jpg

I'm using Adobe 1998 for a colour profile, is this suitable?

To cut a long story short, I had upped the saturation and added a ND filter affect to the jetty image. The others I am ok with?

Last edited:
You really need to be up there in golden hour or as other guy says when water is flowing in the plug or some sky action would be good it looks sharp just the sky lacks a bit of humph for me, i was very lucky we was on way home with family in tow and just pulled up to show kids the big plug and this is what i got try and get back there fro sunset it was amazing, its deffo one i will be returning to

Theplugphotobucket.jpg

debrito said:
You really need to be up there in golden hour or as other guy says when water is flowing in the plug or some sky action would be good it looks sharp just the sky lacks a bit of humph for me, i was very lucky we was on way home with family in tow and just pulled up to show kids the big plug and this is what i got try and get back there fro sunset it was amazing, its deffo one i will be returning to

Very nice image. I did mine in the morning. I'll return there and try again and hope the drain is draining.

Cheers

Steve

Back