Lake District - Keswick Area - 4 Iconic Locations in one morning

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Nothing spectacular or new here with these shots but for those who haven't been and are looking to get the best "bang for your buck" with limited time I thought I would post this to help.

It was a 3.30 alarm call but only because it was earlier this week (early June) with a 4.30 ish sunrise but the distance travelled between the locations is minimal so with little time they were easily done before a well enjoyed (late) breakfast with the family.

I am still relatively new to all this but improving every time I go out so feel free to offer advice (but be gentle lol)

Castlerigg Stone Circle at Sunrise just outside Keswick - Roadside free parking - Two mins walk - No one about at all - Was sat waiting in my camping chair with my nice hot flask of coffee - Lovely experience.

Castlerigg Stone Circle near Keswick by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Ashness Jetty - Ten mins drive down the side of Derwent - Got a very near parking space - Space is very limited - Still no one about - Realised my remote was broken so had to hold the shutter down by hand :-(

Ashness Jetty near Keswick by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Ashness Bridge - Five mins up the road - Just arrived as another tog was leaving - Easy parking across the road for £1.00 - Midges galore so a little rushed but pleased anyway

Ashness Bridge near Keswick by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Ashness Bridge a little closer

Ashness Bridge near Keswick by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Surprise View just a few mins up the road from Ashness Bridge - Easy parking for £1.00 again just across the road - I wasn't expecting much but was very pleased with the results

Surprise View looking over Derwent Water near Keswick by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Feel free to ask any questions.

A nice set of Images. You done well - All that dashing around - but worth it I think, excellent work in my opinion. regards colin.

Hi Tony,

I think of those the first Ashness Bridge one and surprise view are nice takes, the first of the bridge shots being the pick with some nice golden light and some contrast - the Stone Circle image while I'm not adverse to shooting into the sun I think the sunstar is taking over the shot a wee bit, I think it might have been better waiting until it was a little higher to get some of those stones illuminated a touch more although it's still a nice take and very well composed.

The Ashness Jetty shot looks a bit underexposed and the exposed shoreline/rock bottom left is detracting a little bit, although I know there's nothing you can do really about the water levels as they have been very low lately.

Are they uploaded to Flickr at low res?

Particularly like no 1 the foreground stones help lead the eye into the photo.
GEORGE.

A nice set of Images. You done well - All that dashing around - but worth it I think, excellent work in my opinion. regards colin.

Many thanks, nice to be up early and beat the traffic

Hi Tony,

I think of those the first Ashness Bridge one and surprise view are nice takes, the first of the bridge shots being the pick with some nice golden light and some contrast - the Stone Circle image while I'm not adverse to shooting into the sun I think the sunstar is taking over the shot a wee bit, I think it might have been better waiting until it was a little higher to get some of those stones illuminated a touch more although it's still a nice take and very well composed.

The Ashness Jetty shot looks a bit underexposed and the exposed shoreline/rock bottom left is detracting a little bit, although I know there's nothing you can do really about the water levels as they have been very low lately.

Are they uploaded to Flickr at low res?

Yes, the Jetty is a little dark. Only got a polariser and 10 stop so thank you for giving me permission to buy a 3 stop lol

With regard to the Flickr question I honestly didn't know there was a difference. How would I check ? Got me intrigued now as I have often thought my pictures look better in lightroom etc than on Flickr

Number 1 and 5 are the best for me, don`t like no 4 as its been in the oven too long for me

Yes, I can't resist a little HDR occasionally lol

Particularly like no 1 the foreground stones help lead the eye into the photo.
GEORGE.

Many thanks

Some classic scenes here although must admit I didn't know about surprise view. Is that just further up the same road that Ashness Bridge is on?

1) Nice scene but I think the HDR effect is turned up too high. It's clear that the sun is just coming up but yet the foreground looks quite bright. I'd rather see a bit more contrast. Looks better on my phone mind so maybe my work monitor is just turned up to 11.

2) Jetty image doesn't look like you had great light. It looks quite flat to me and again a bit lacking in contrast. I suspect you could maybe pull the black and white points around a bit and see a bit of contrast. It might also benefit from a little exposure boost. Composition wise, I'm not sure the shore line adds anything to this. I think it may have looked cleaner taken from slightly further along the jetty (if you can go on it?) and miss the short line out of shot.

3) Looks good to me.

4) Not so keen on this composition.

5) Very nice. :)

That's a nice set Tony and I admire your high speed trip around the lake tripod holes. Not only that but to come out with some nice shots and no disasters that so often happens when you rush from place to place (well none you have mentioned:)).
No1 I like this shot, yes the sunburst is a bit strong but is how you composed the shot and what you wanted, so its fair enough. Its also harder to plan ahead if the area is unknown to you. Its a great location with lots of possibilities by the look of it.
The flare was fairly well controlled, and the shot is nice and sympathetically processed.
No2 is a fair bit under, I think considering the water level I might have shot from a pace or further forward just past the first set of posts, to lose the unattractive shingle shoreline, I think you could still give it a little tickle in post and improve it.
No3 I really like the composition here very nice. Like the leading lines nicely balanced shot, probably my No1 pick(y)
No4 Another nice shot you mentioned HDR here... In my meddlings with HDR as an experiment i did find that if you run it through HDR in LR it always seems to leave the file a little on the light side. I don't do HDR myself prefer more traditional processing. I think it feels a small amount overexposed to me. Nice composition and I like the almost flowing Mercury look to the water.
No5 Thats a nice vista, well exposed with some nice reflection, a little gem of a location, well spotted(y)

Nice Work!

Some classic scenes here although must admit I didn't know about surprise view. Is that just further up the same road that Ashness Bridge is on?

1) Nice scene but I think the HDR effect is turned up too high. It's clear that the sun is just coming up but yet the foreground looks quite bright. I'd rather see a bit more contrast. Looks better on my phone mind so maybe my work monitor is just turned up to 11.

2) Jetty image doesn't look like you had great light. It looks quite flat to me and again a bit lacking in contrast. I suspect you could maybe pull the black and white points around a bit and see a bit of contrast. It might also benefit from a little exposure boost. Composition wise, I'm not sure the shore line adds anything to this. I think it may have looked cleaner taken from slightly further along the jetty (if you can go on it?) and miss the short line out of shot.

3) Looks good to me.

4) Not so keen on this composition.

5) Very nice. :)

Many thanks and yes, in hindsight the jetty one is underexposed and not clean on the waters edge. Long exposure is also all still pretty new to me so learning all the time.

Number 5 for me, very nice shot.

Thank you.

That's a nice set Tony and I admire your high speed trip around the lake tripod holes. Not only that but to come out with some nice shots and no disasters that so often happens when you rush from place to place (well none you have mentioned:)).
No1 I like this shot, yes the sunburst is a bit strong but is how you composed the shot and what you wanted, so its fair enough. Its also harder to plan ahead if the area is unknown to you. Its a great location with lots of possibilities by the look of it.
The flare was fairly well controlled, and the shot is nice and sympathetically processed.
No2 is a fair bit under, I think considering the water level I might have shot from a pace or further forward just past the first set of posts, to lose the unattractive shingle shoreline, I think you could still give it a little tickle in post and improve it.
No3 I really like the composition here very nice. Like the leading lines nicely balanced shot, probably my No1 pick(y)
No4 Another nice shot you mentioned HDR here... In my meddlings with HDR as an experiment i did find that if you run it through HDR in LR it always seems to leave the file a little on the light side. I don't do HDR myself prefer more traditional processing. I think it feels a small amount overexposed to me. Nice composition and I like the almost flowing Mercury look to the water.
No5 Thats a nice vista, well exposed with some nice reflection, a little gem of a location, well spotted(y)

Nice Work!

Many thanks and yes, Surprise View is literally two mins drive further up the road from Ashness Bridge (sure someone has mentioned it in the thread)

First one is my favourite shot, really nice idea, not everyone likes sunstars but I think it suits this sort of shot with the celestial nature of the circle.

For me, the processing on the second is a little 'muddy' if that makes any sense, I know you did not have loads of light to work with but it is muted. With the Ashiness bridge shots, there is quite a difference between the two, worth asking yourself which rendition, with respect to colour mainly, do you prefer and why. (Don't have to answer here it is a personal choice and something you can then actively strive for when working on a shot in future).

Well done on putting the effort in and hitting a few spots though. It always amazes me how quickly the best light goes though when I've tried similar things.

Back