Lake District or Peak district

C

Cass2017

I am due to go up to Buttermere at the end (Thurs) of the week and every time I look at the weather forecast it seems to change for the worst, I will be travelling from South East London so it's not around the corner, I was thinking sunset or sunrise if possible as the plan was to stay over night. Plan B would be the Peak District which is a bit closer to home and I can do it in a day plus when I checked earlier had more predictable weather conditions. Any thoughts, I have never shot at Either locations but I have a few ideas from what I have seen online.

Not the sort of weather conditions I am looking for myself but are you saying this is real time.

Get one of these and wrap up well.

Just got back from Glen Coe and one day it rained all day. Just popped the rain cover one, got layered up and got out there.

We wanted glorious sunshine and fluffy clouds but it didn't happen. Managed to capture some interesting photographs as @alfbranch has so go for it.

Hope it goes well for you and I can recommend Buttermere YHA if you stop over night.

Alf's photographs aren't real time.

Cheers.

As you are due to go to Buttermere anyway just be prepared for anything. Both areas due to topography and location can get more than their fair share of weather that lets you know you are alive. I'd keep checking the forecast to see which might give you what you want.

Dave

It is a miserable time of year. I am not a fan of landscapes in bad weather but scenery wise the Lake District wins hands down over the Peak District. I was quite underwhelmed by the Peak District but the Lake district is marvellous. Just go on a good day.

Rather than the Peak District save yourself the 2 hrs extra to the Lakes and call in North Wales instead... even if the weather doesn't turn out perfect you have castles, steam trains and abandoned slate quarries to photograph which work in most weather...not to mention the stunning coastline of Anglesey

Simon

Be careful of watching teh national weather forecast and hoping to get an idea what the weather is like in Cumbria especially west Cumbria as we are eaither Scotland Wales or do not exist as they just pass us by. They make statements like Emgland will be fine with much sunshine and there is a huge lump of cloud sat over Cumbria showing rain.

There is snow passing through on Wednesday and then the weather start to break up with sunshine and the winds are easing towards the weekend but the waether in the lakes is fickle a distance of a few hundred metres willmean you have different weather. If the show that is coming sticks you may be in for some of the snowy pictures of this winter. There is a little snow above about 2000 feet atm.

It is a miserable time of year. I am not a fan of landscapes in bad weather but scenery wise the Lake District wins hands down over the Peak District. I was quite underwhelmed by the Peak District but the Lake district is marvellous. Just go on a good day.

I was hoping the weather was going to be decent looking at weather online, I am not a fan of landscapes in poor weather myself.

Rather than the Peak District save yourself the 2 hrs extra to the Lakes and call in North Wales instead... even if the weather doesn't turn out perfect you have castles, steam trains and abandoned slate quarries to photograph which work in most weather...not to mention the stunning coastline of Anglesey

Simon

North Wales is actually on my radar, in fact I was looking at one of pictures only this morning when I was doing my research; Llanberis autumn morning sunrise,

I was hoping the weather was going to be decent looking at weather online, I am not a fan of landscapes in poor weather myself.

Neither is it mine. Another pointed is that at this time of year the trees are bare and brown. Personally I find this incredibly depressing so I would probably hold off shooting such a wooded part of the world until the early summer or indeed Autumn.

Don't fancy driving 6 hrs to blizzards, bad light with no sign of spring. :)

Please don't drive all the way to the Peak District and photograph the sodding gate on Mam Tor. :rolleyes:

Some great locations in the Peak though. I agree that the Lake District has better scenery, but the Peak offers some great easier accessible views.

North Wales is actually on my radar, in fact I was looking at one of pictures only this morning when I was doing my research; Llanberis autumn morning sunrise,

Prepare to join the queue if you plan on visiting here for sunrise on a weekend... have a look at Dinorwic Quarry, great all-weather location. The Slate Museum in Llanberis is brilliant too, not only for it's content but for the roof on top of it too when it's bouncing down

Please don't drive all the way to the Peak District and photograph the sodding gate on Mam Tor. :rolleyes:

Some great locations in the Peak though. I agree that the Lake District has better scenery, but the Peak offers some great easier accessible views.

Is that what its a called!!

And don't drive all the way to The Lakes and photograph those trees at Buttermere, or Castlerigg Stone Circle, or Ashness Bridge, or the Ashness landing stage, or the view of Great Gable across Wastwater.

Go somewhere different. Get a map out. Get Stuart Holmes' guide book - it's advertised somewhere on here.

Go to Wales. Get Simon Kitchin's guide book - it's on his avatar^^^^

Don't be a grockle.

I wish I had a pound for every time the weather forecast had been wrong for the Lake District, was over for a few days end of Feb and not one days forecast was correct. I enjoy the changeable weather in the area, it increases the photo opportunities IMO.

I wish I had a pound for every time the weather forecast had been wrong for the Lake District, was over for a few days end of Feb and not one days forecast was correct. I enjoy the changeable weather in the area, it increases the photo opportunities IMO.

I live in west cumbria the weather is so localised you would not believe it. The second shot above it was a fairly calm day here about 10 miles as the crow flies from that location on arriveal the wind was strong I could hardly stand then I went to coast 5 miles away and there was light breeze.

Back