Lake District & Yorkshire Dales

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
No
I was wondering if anyone would have any recommendations for great views in either of these areas which are easily accessible?

Thanks,
Stephen

The Lake District is easy to answer. Anywhere.
Seriously, you are never more than 5 mins from a good spot. Only trouble is that you are now entering grockle season. Kids, dogs, Grans and grandads, and divorced parents on access days will be flooding the place. Just get your boots on and walk 10 minutes from the road and you'll have the place to yourself.
If you want more concrete suggestions buy Stuart Holmes' book:-
https://www.fotovue.com/shop/books/photographing-the-lake-district/
(Think he might be on here somewhere!)

Depends a bit on what you mean by easily accessible but there are loads in both areas where you get good views from the roadside. Any of the high passes in the Lakes, Kirkstone, Wrynose, Hardknott, Honister, etc give good views. In the Dales again a lot of the higher roads give views, The view of Ingleborough as you go up into Kingsdale is a classic as is the view from the top end of Chapel-le-Dale and over into Ribblehead. Garsdale and Barbondale over into Dent, are also good. The Dales is usually MUCH quieter than the Lakes and it's often easier to stop the car and grab a photo..

Two classic views of the Langdale Pikes are from Elterwater (carpark opposite path that leads down to Elterwater called Silverdale I think) further along the same road brings you to Blea Tarn again with a car park opposite the path that leads you to the tarn. Both are about 10 mins from car park.

Thanks for the help guys. We did Tarn Hows and Langdale today, but I found it hard to get a good composition. I'm beginning to feel like to get good shots in the Lakes you need to be up high.

Doing Buttermere and Derwent Water tomorrow. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the help guys. We did Tarn Hows and Langdale today, but I found it hard to get a good composition. I'm beginning to feel like to get good shots in the Lakes you need to be up high.

Doing Buttermere and Derwent Water tomorrow. Any tips greatly appreciated!

You don't need to be high but you do need the conditions to feel inspired, and a good eye - misty still mornings are gorgeous lakeside, obviously need a bit of luck with the weather though. Long lenses can work very well in the Lakes

Hi, This and This will help you. Fantastic books.

Blea Tarn is a great location in the Lakes. Parking and leisurely walk to the tarn.

Cheers.

Had the Lake District one and just got the Yorkshire Dales one.

Both are excellent.

As above, anywhere in the Lake District. I did a walk above the dales in Appleby, a place called High Cup Nick. A really nice walk and not so full of crowds. Maybe worth a look if you didn't fancy the lakes one day. Not sure how accessible you'd class it though!

I know its been photographed to death but Roseberry topping in the North Yorkshire dales park is a lovely place, loads of different angles at all times of the year, best time of year has to be August when the heather is in flower.

Sean.

Back