North England Lake District

Name
PAUL
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going up to the Lakes for a couple of days in 2 weeks time with the Mrs and we're stopping at Windermere. Is there any good photography locations on Windermere? I'm planning in going to Derwent Water on the 2nd day.

Not done much at Windermere but Derwent has Ashness Bridge, Ashness Jetty, the boat landing area, shot from the north stood in the park down the lake, surprise view and also Castlerigg ten mins drive away.

my wife and i went to Windermere for our first wedding anniversary in april and i must admit unless you are there for the lake then its a bit dull being honest. That said we had other locations planned for visits as we knew the score with Windermere itself and as such had a great time in the local area, Ambleside has some really nice cafes and is a nice place for a wander without the camera, but also if you go just north of Ambleside to Rydal water and Grasmere then it is a lovely walk, quite scenic and there is also some caves there too. You can also swim in Rydal without fear of being hit by a boat (it was a bit nippy in april so i only managed about 20 minutes in there lol)

Thanks for the replies. Can you drive round to the spots mentioned on Derwent water or do you have to walk round? I've thought about going to Buttermere and doing the Lone Tree but I don't think I'm going to have time to do both.

Can't believe you swam in the Lake! I'm too much of a fairy for that lol

Yes, Ashness Bridge and Jetty plus surprise view are literally minutes apart. The Bridge and surprise view have car parks. The Jetty has a small lay-by. Castlerigg is two mins walk from the roadside and the top of the Lake is five mins from the car park.

I went to buttermere yesterday and until the end of June that part of the shore is closed due to nesting birds. It's ten min walk from the car park by the way.

The Lake District.
Stop making it so hard.
Go. Get out of your car. Walk 50 yards and off you go. Forget all the places with names. Yes they are nice but are invariably full of grockles going because they gave been told it's nice.
Walk around a bit. Not a lot. There are photo opportunities within 50 yards of every car parking spot but Mr & Mrs tourist are too scared of getting lost in the wilderness to venture out on their own.

You won't come to any harm. The locals are quite friendly and even the sheep have stopped attacking trippers.

If all else fails buy a map: not an app but a piece of paper with funny printing on it.

It really is safe up there.

There are plenty of places to visit around Windermere especially west/north of Ambleside. Rydal Water,Grasmere (try white moss for views above), loughrigg tarn (great views from loughrigg fell), blea tarn (side pike has great views but it depends if you are happy with a little climbing/scrambling). Tarn Hows is nice for a walk around.

Derwent Water is ok but Ashness Bridge and Derwent Water Jetty have been done to death, and there are usually a huge number of people on ashness bridge. Thirlmere looks very good especially for reflections.

Bing maps have an OS maps layer so you don't need to buy maps just to have look what's about.

Cheers, great advice. Unfortunately the Mrs isn't really much of a walker. If I was on my own it wouldn't be an issue as I'd walk anywhere. Hoping as we're going in the week there won't be as many people about but I'm probably wrong about that!

I'm fully aware that them places have been done to death but at least I'll have my own versions. Really looking forward to it.

Hoping as we're going in the week there won't be as many people about but I'm probably wrong about that!
Dream on baby. It's a grockle fest up there. Hence the advice to get away from the madding crowd.

One thing you might find disconcerting is the lack of mobile signals. OK in the towns but in the valleys? Forget it. LDSPB won't allow masts so you won't be able to tell everyone in twitbook land where you are.

Drive over Kirkstone pass from Windermere one evening (there's a pub at the top) and drop down to Ulswater, more pubs at Patterdale and Glenridding. If the light is good there is great stuff to photograph, if not, did I mention pubs?

Park at the Brothers Water end of the Pass. Walk into Hartsop. Walk to the tarn. Walk up Dovedale. Walk up to Hayeswater. Boredale Hause and Angle Tarn. All good places but grockle free. Never mentioned in these threads because they are more than 30 seconds walk from the car park.

Where to start in the Lakes? It's all so beautiful.

On many occasions when I've stayed up there I've driven around for hours and taking photos.

I particularly love this photo in the Lakes.

12182447_10153020752187271_8656054782003840664_o.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Can you drive round to the spots mentioned on Derwent water or do you have to walk round? I've thought about going to Buttermere and doing the Lone Tree but I don't think I'm going to have time to do both.

Can't believe you swam in the Lake! I'm too much of a fairy for that lol
it was my first time back in open water this year and the start of my preparations for some triathlons i am doing, the first of which was in llanberis so the swim was in padarn at the end of may lol. Swimming in the lakes definitely helped get me ready for the cold in llanberis anyways as padarn was positively warm compared to rydal! It is certainly quite liberating though, just wish i had my camera with me as it was a lovely walk to and from the entry point to the lake

Back