Lakeland Mountain ID please

That's Cat Bells.

I presume you mean the pointy one. Behind it is the ridge leading to Maiden Moor. The one on the right is the flank of Hindscarth.

Edit. Causey Pike is not in that photo.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, that's Robinson in the photo. Hinsdcarth is a completely different shape.

This is the view from the front garden of the place where we stay when we go to the Lakes. Sorry it's just a crap mobile phone photo, but it was all I had available. I've annotated it to show what's what. The shapes of Robinson and Hindscarth are clearly quite different. From the viewpoint of the original photo, Hindscarth would be invisible, tucked in behind Catbells.

19610-1518459542-4099a5f54ebc6a49e03b92352f90f2e4.jpg

At the viewpoint from which the photograph was taken both Robinson and Hindscarth, although higher, would be obscured by Catbells and Maiden Moor. The one on the right is Crag Hill, that cliff face is unmistakable. You can check it out on Google Earth.

Thanks for the input Folks
Most informative ;)
Here is another, wider view

Derwent Water by Mike Stephen, on Flickr
Excellent. That's clearly Causey Pike on the right, with the distinctive shape like a larger version of Catbells. The ridge running away from Causey Pike to the right at the extreme edge of the picture is the Coledale Round, going up to Eel Crag / Crag Hill (depending on whether you use Wainwright or OS nomenclature) which isn't quite in the picture. Our friend @gvb279 who says that Crag Hill is "unmistakable" is, in fact, mistaken.

So we're back to Robinson. It has to be Robinson. To those who think it's Hindscarth - if is is, then where is Robinson?

(Disclaimer: Every year since 2001 I've been going up to the Lakes and staying in a property which happens to be called Robinson. I've posted a picture of the view from the front garden, and you can be sure that over the last 17 years I've checked the maps to work out which of those hills is Robinson, specifically because of the property name!)

Last edited:
Yes I agree with Stewart now, here is a photo of Hindscarth and Robinson taken a few years ago whilst walking up Catbells, clearly Hindscarth would be hidden by Catbells from Mike's viewpoint, and the shape of Robinson is the clincher.

Hindscarth.jpg

Sorry guys, that's Robinson in the photo. Hinsdcarth is a completely different shape.
Yes as above you are correct, probably why I made a mistake in my previous post when I said it was Robinson that was hidden.

Well the pointy one is Fleetwith Pike and to the right Dale Head,foreground being Grey Knotts?

Here's another.
Also, from which fell top was this taken?

From top looking east jpeg-.jpg

Horizon not straight!

And from Peter... looks like Ennerdale Water, with Bowness Knot and Anglers Crag; but from Murton Fell ?(cheated - got map out, and may still be wrong!)

Go to the top of the class John.
Fell is called Knock Murton and it's undermined (old iron ore mine).

Last edited:
Many thanks Guys ;)
So, back to my original question - Is it safe to say that it is Robinson?

We travel down to the Lakes every year but normally around the Summer months.
I've always wondered how the area would look with the tops covered in snow.
We took the motorhome down there last week, spending 3 nights at Windermere and 4 in Keswick.
I certainly wasn't disappointed!!

Mike

There's a great app called Peakfinder that gives you a 3D view of the mountains basically anywhere on Earth. You can use it in the field to point directly at a peak and it will give you the name and height, or you can place yourself on a map anywhere on the globe and 'look around' to see what peaks are visible. Very handy.

There's a great app called Peakfinder that gives you a 3D view of the mountains basically anywhere on Earth. You can use it in the field to point directly at a peak and it will give you the name and height, or you can place yourself on a map anywhere on the globe and 'look around' to see what peaks are visible. Very handy.
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

Back